2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT choking at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 08:17 AM
sausage5000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does this forum/website have lists of the current 350z TSBs somewhere? that would be extremely helpful to this discussion.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
ShermanA

I understand that your car is stock, but do you have a K&N air filter installed? I had similar symptoms from a previous car which had to do with the MAF sensor becoming coated with oil.

The http://www.nissanhelp.com/ site has all of the TSB's.

Good Luck,
Sherman
Old 07-24-2004, 03:08 PM
afr0puff

Just thought I'd give an update. My car was at the dealership for over two weeks and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. They swapped out virtually all "swappable" parts and the problem persists. Brand new ECU, manifold, intake, fuel pump, and fuel filter. Problem remains. They teleconferenced with a nissan team from California and no luck. Now they are flying in the team from California to take a look at my car.

However, they will not touch my car unless I remove every single modification to the car. I may not have a ton of performance mods, but I've got to rip out my brand new stereo system, wiring, speakers, dash and go back to the stock BOSE system. I also have to get my high-tech alarm and remote starter removed as well. Even though these devices were in my car for over a year without a problem. Probably $2,000 down the drain. Sucks.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:17 PM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They check the injectors, fuel lines? Those are what I think could possibly cause it besides the ECU. Hmm, the lines and injectors were probably checked, but that's really weird...

Last edited by NismoKid; 07-24-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:33 PM
ZxRage

That really sucks, I brought my car to Nissan Service and they said that they were unable to duplicate the problem and deemed it just the VDC kicking in. I have personally gone over the car myself and it is disheartening to hear that they were unable to find out the problem on your car. There is also one other person that I can think of on the **********.com website who has had his car looked at 3 times in a row for the problem and now they are on the last chance at a location picked out personally by Nissan's techs to resolve it once and for all. Hey AfroPuff, I am curious about your VIN # if it is close to mine or the other persons. Maybe there is a common link between teh problems we are having and the order they were made on teh production line??? Anyway, I totally feel for you because it sucks when you are driving the car and the throttle just stops working consistently. Please keep us updated with what you find out. Oh yea, see you on the 14th. Hopefully your car will be back to normal by then.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:59 PM
afr0puff

Not sure if the VIN# would help since its a G35, not a 350z. Not sure how related, if at all, our VINs are. But it is definitely not VDC. And fortunately, the problem has gotten so severe, they can duplicate the problem. 1st gear has also become affected. Now it is a safety issue. If I'm pulling onto a busy street and need decent acceleration, I could be screwed. If the techs can't fix it, then I need to pursue claiming the car as a lemon.

Most of their low-level scan tools didn't show up anything, but when they connected at $100,000 bad boy to it, one of the fuel readings went haywire when the car was choking. That didn't bring them any closer to fixing the problem.

Timing couldn't be worse. I wanted to show off a lot of my mods that I worked on the past couple of months at the meet on the 14th. Now there is a possibility I might not make it at all. They are working out the scheduling with the team from california, regardless of my input. So if they show up on the 13th, my car has to be there. Hopefully i can make the meet, but by then, my car will be reverted back to bone stock.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:18 PM
DragonGcoupe

All this time and money, you'd think they would just take ur G back to find out if this is a serious problem and give you a new one. I mean if you got into an accident because of this in the mean time, you could potentially sue their asses big time.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:24 PM
ZxRage

Originally posted by afr0puff
If I'm pulling onto a busy street and need decent acceleration, I could be screwed. If the techs can't fix it, then I need to pursue claiming the car as a lemon.

Most of their low-level scan tools didn't show up anything, but when they connected at $100,000 bad boy to it, one of the fuel readings went haywire when the car was choking. That didn't bring them any closer to fixing the problem.
I hear you on needing the acceleration at times and not getting it. I know it would really suck having to get another car after all of the work you have done to the one you have now. I actually am dreading that kind of situation considering that if they can't fix the problem and you have to get the car replaced, that I will not be able to get the same color. I already went through this sh*t before but not again for something as stupid as this. Did you have your car sitting over winter time? I had mine in the garage for about 3 months while I was doing some mods to it, when I took it back out in 2004 I started to develop the problem, I noticed it coming on every now and then and I figured it was something not connected right with the ground wires or something... It turns out that ever since that first time, it became progressively worse and now I have it back to a minimum but still existent. I also never tripped any CEL and when the Consult was plugged in while I was driving, the scanning never picked up anything unusual. I have also noticed that I have a lot of oil in my intake manifold from the crankcase ventilation, possibly more than normal. I wonder if that might have anything to do with it?? I was also thinking that it could be my throttle body or possibly the crank angle sensor getting fuzzy at times. I hate to say this but thank you for pioneering the ground work for fixing this problem, Hopefully it can be resolved with you keeping your car and the solution becoming apparent.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:13 PM
03 Z for ME

OK, this may sound stupid, but I'll tell you my only experience with my Z hesitating.

It was late in the afternoon on the second day of an HPDE class. I had about 1/4 tank of gas left and decided to run a few more hot laps. As I hit 115 mph on the long straight, the car simply studdered. I blew it off as the Rev limiter, downshited and braked and hit the next turn.

On the next lap, at the same spot, at about 115mph it did the SAME thing, just a quick studder. Now I"m like WTF? I look down and see the gas gague is BELOW the E. I pull into the pit area as soon as I get to the pit in area. I turn the car off, let her sit a little. I start it back up and the gas gague goes back up to almost 1/4 tank.

I THINK the fuel pump for the Z must be in the FRONT of the tank, and under HARD acceleration, with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, the Z might not be sucking all the fuel it needs.

I know now my track day is over (or it's time to get more gas) when I hit 1/4 tank.

MIGHT you be LOW on FUEL???
Old 07-25-2004, 10:23 PM
afr0puff

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
\MIGHT you be LOW on FUEL???
Now why didn't I think of that.

They discontinued my color as well, so finding a replacement will be a miracle. 1% of all G35s made were blue. Then 10% of that number is how many 6MTs were made. I'm sure I could get a used one, but then it will already be "tainted" in my eyes. But that is worse case scenario. Hopefully they will be able to fix the problem.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Jacklexis

I know this is an old thread but it's the only one I've been able to find with my exact issue. Has anyone figured out what was causing the issue? I'm currently having the hesitation/choking problem
Old 06-28-2018, 03:08 PM
K_em14

Originally Posted by afr0puff
Not sure if the VIN# would help since its a G35, not a 350z. Not sure how related, if at all, our VINs are. But it is definitely not VDC. And fortunately, the problem has gotten so severe, they can duplicate the problem. 1st gear has also become affected. Now it is a safety issue. If I'm pulling onto a busy street and need decent acceleration, I could be screwed. If the techs can't fix it, then I need to pursue claiming the car as a lemon.

Timing couldn't be worse. I wanted to show off a lot of my mods that I worked on the past couple of months at the meet on the 14th. Now there is a possibility I might not make it at all. They are working out the scheduling with the team from california, regardless of my input. So if they show up on the 13th, my car has to be there. Hopefully i can make the meet, but by then, my car will be reverted back to bone stock.
This is more than 10 years ago but I'm having that issue with my Z and can't seem to find the problem. Any results ??
Old 06-28-2018, 04:17 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

the problem is you guys are comparing what people were observing in 2004; at most the Z was 2 years old car with low miles compared to a 10+ year old car with a lot more miles. If you haven't checked ODBII for a code start there. if that doesn't get you anywhere go to a mechanic now before you regret it.