Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why 0-60 is important, IMHO

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 07:04 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Why 0-60 is important, IMHO

With the onset of these supposedly valid HP/TQ and 0-60 numbers, I've seen several members both here and at the "other" site proclaiming how they don't really care about 0-60 times. That is a valid and respectable point of view for those who possess it and I by no means intend to flame those who feel that way. However, I would like to put forth an idea as to why so many of us do care about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

For me personally, an automobile that puts down respectable performance figures catches my attention for two reasons. First, the faster the vehicle, the more *** I will be kicking on the street and track, AKA bragging rights. Second, a vehicle with a low 0-60 time tells me that in the daily grind of commuter traffic I will be able to punch it and move around the slow poke in front of me with authority. Of course a low 0-60 time doesn't always mean big torque or a killer 1320. Take the Stook for instance. Sure, it will move, but do you want to rev to high hell to get going in the grind? I've been driving my wife's Civic since February and it's downright embarrassing to make all of that noise and not really go anywhere. Then there's the vaunted WRX, a car that does 0-60 in the neighborhood of 5.4-5.7 yet can only manage a 1320 of 14.6-14.8. AWD and turbo torque propel that little guy, but he runs out of steam way too quickly. I once read a passage on an auto forum several years back that has stuck with me. Torque gets you moving and HP keeps you moving. Finding that perfect balance is what I really hope the engineers at Nissan have perfected.

0-60 and 1320 are not the be-all end-all, and we (the hardcore enthusiasts) might be giving the more carefree drivers the wrong impression. I'm more interested in seeing the torque curve on a dyno plot, in learning the lateral Gs and what the 350Z can pull in the slalom. Slalom speeds can tell you more about a vehicle's handling prowess than anything else.

I've been kind of freaking out today over these "numbers", but I will not have a "come to Jesus" until I can learn every performance aspect of the 350Z via a quantified independent report from an auto rag.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:01 AM
ZBarrister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post! I agree it's best to wait until we can get the "real" numbers from the mags.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:21 AM
blackSunshine
Charter Member #84

Agree mostly... the only thing is that .3 seconds isn't a whole lot of time for an average person to be able to tell.(5.5-5.2 = .3) Plus it comes down to launching, conditions, tires,.... what struck me the most was the torque #, that's one hell of a v6 torque-wise. Having had first hand experience with a couple VQs I think one with that much thrust will kick serious a$$ in the fun department. I was thinkin all this time that the torque would be similar to the g35 (260) and that they were trying to keep the output up at higher rpms to get the horses.

I would bet on Nissan getting that balance... I think it's the whole reason they chose to tune the vq35 to 280+, rather than using FI. Someone quoted them as saying that the N/A was more rewarding or something like that.

About the curves, didn't vandyZ say that the car turned like it was on rails? Or was that someone else who got a ride in the car?

I'm not looking to race anyone, (except those people who speed up when you put your blinker on, hehe hehe, try to keep me from passin now!... kids: dont try this at home) but how fast the car can get my blood pumping is important to me.

If the latest numbers are true, great, they delivered what they promised, if they're not, I bet they're purty darn close.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:28 AM
raceboy
Banned

To me the most important thing is the speed at the end of the 1/4. It is pretty much the biggest indicator of true HP. The Z should be at at least 103mph at the end of the 1/4. With that I would be happy.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:02 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I'm not one of those who don't think 0-60 isn't important, I just find it amazing that some many people on both sites are hell bent over 0-60 times. There's a lot of people that have been saying they are not impressed with the initial reports of 5.5 0-60 when in fact if it was truely 5.2 or even 5.0 they probably couldn't tell the difference.

Anohther thing that gets me too is the whole HP number. People say they will be happy as hell with 300 hp but will only be fine with 280hp. Me personally I'd rather have 280hp and 265ft-lbs of torque then say 300hp and 190ft-lbs of torque (examples only and I'm I just pulled those out of my ***). HP is calculated off of torque, and a good flat torque curve will beat a sharpely rising HP curve anyday. Like the old saying goes horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

Regardless of the numbers and how they will fall out, I won't be buying the car until I give it my own personal evaluation, which at the end of the day is all that really matters.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:54 PM
AdamLotz (Z FIEND)

0-60 and Quarter mile are very important - after all, it's a sports car isn't it?? And last time I checked, the "sport" is racing.

Aside from the occasional run at a light, the 0-60 and 1/4 times do in many ways represent how the car feels on the street, and what kind of power and control you'll have while driving. One number that isn't so widespread that I often thought was interesting was "passing speed" - IE how quickly the car can go from 50-70 or from 65-80. I want to say that I remember the 300ZXTT broke some magazine's record for that back in 90, and believe me, it shows.

It's kind of funny - my 300 definitely isn't the quickest thing out there off the line. And while it has a respectable quarter mile, it's not really a quarter mile car. (even the best ZXTTs have a hard time breaking into the 12s) But there are certain situations (downshifting to pass at med/high speeds, and pretty much anything past 100) where the car is a flat out rocket, and nothing can touch it.

I just hope the 350Z will be as much fun to drive... if not, I'll be giving up my place in line and looking for another 300... That'll be ironic.