2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic 350z owners.......respond.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 10:52 AM
silvrz5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic 350z owners.......respond.

For all of you that have your 350z in auto form, are you glad that you did get it since almost all of the 6 speed owners are reporting problems with theirs? The rattling, hard to get into gear, gear whine, ect..... And also are you happy with the performance your 350z is giving you? Also have you seen any posted 0-60 times or have any of you ran at the 1/4 mile track with your auto? Also have you raced anything on the streets and what was the performance then. Also what do you think of the delay in auto shifting your 350z?,,, i once drove a g35 and found it to be spot on shifting. Thanks for your time.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:35 AM
mydogscool

Don't gloat thinking every manual 6 speed tranny in the Z has problems. Mine has none of the other so-called problems, and it is absolutely wonderful, especially with the red line gear oil in it. Automatics are totally sealed and dependent on Nissans gear oil. Automatics are slushboxes, better suited to driving a Ford Explorer. I cannot imagine owning a sports car and not having the exhiliration of shifting and selecting my own gear.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:36 AM
evicid

I have driven the G35 auto transmission in manual mode as well. Except for the fact that it always puts you in 4th gear, I know what you mean about the better shifting. I also liked the fact that it didn't downshift automatically for you when you slowed down. The auto in the 350z has me wishing I had gotten the 6MT sometimes. The manual mode shifts rather slowly as you said. I was hoping that the manual mode would satisy my desire to have a stick shift sometimes, but in the end all it did was tease me. Its convinced me to get a stick shift next time.

Otherwise, speed and performance wise, it actually feels fast and shifts nicely in auto mode. I've floored in on several occasions, and it feels very fast. I haven't done any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times though.

My only complaint about the transmission is that the manual mode leaves much to be desired.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:36 AM
Jeff_DML

Originally posted by mydogscool

Don't gloat thinking every manual 6 speed tranny in the Z has problems. Mine has none of the other so-called problems, and it is absolutely wonderful, especially with the red line gear oil in it. Automatics are totally sealed and dependent on Nissans gear oil. Automatics are slushboxes, better suited to driving a Ford Explorer. I cannot imagine owning a sports car and not having the exhiliration of shifting and selecting my own gear.
here here, say no to slushy sport cars.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:04 PM
mwaller

Default mydogscool --

Which Redline Oil did you put in your tranny? What affect has it had?
Thanks,
Mika
Old 10-16-2002, 12:40 PM
WashUJon

I haven't heard about any universal problems with the 6MTs except the shifter rattle on some cars. I know some people complain about gear whine, but I haven't heard about universal failures, etc...
Old 10-16-2002, 05:33 PM
Boomer

Default AT 350

I've done this dance too many times, I love my 5spd AT. I drive it in and out of modes, manual and full auto and it has performed flawlessly. Its more fun than all of the MTs I've driven, and I've driven them for 37 years(all of them sports(y) cars). I think if someone used to MTs gave the AT a chance they would be surprised and pleased.

By the way, in manual mode the AT Will shift into 5th gear! I found it out a couple of days ago when I was experimenting. I have to finish breaking the car in, but I am detecting very crisp shifts, going from 2-4000rpm and the sound is glorious. The sound at startup, the one you would like to hear forever, is heard perfectly shifting the AT manually. I don't know how big a problem the 6MTs have, I've never run them down like some of the previous posts on this thread because many of my friends chose the 6MT and I am concerned about it because they are my friends. What a ridiculous assumption that owners of AT Zs would enjoy their problems. I think you owe a whole bunch of AT owners an abject apology or find another forum that will tolerate you.

I've had to defend my choice of the AT to people who weren't even born when I bought my first sports car, a Triumph TR4 W/4 SPD MANUAL, IN 1965. Listen to the webmaster, perform a search and you will find tons of info. Starting a new thread is a waste of bandwidth and a waste of my time when I find a bunch of newbies starting yet another thread with the same old prejudices we went through 3 months ago on this forum. If you are looking for assistance , there are a lot of people on this forum, including me, who would help you if you are honestly seeking knowledge, not fights. If thats who you are, you can be banned from this site and domain forever and good riddance.

I'm not a street racer, I prefer curvy roads rather than straight line streets, roads or strips. To each his own, but common courtesy is still a good thing in my worldview and this thread needs a big bunch of it!

Last edited by Boomer; 10-16-2002 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:51 PM
bsantini

Thumbs up

Well said Boomer .... I've also learned to use the ignore user button for people who don't want to play nice!
Old 10-16-2002, 06:02 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WARNING - DANGER :

The 350Z Automatic Transmission uses special fluid.
You must only use this special fluid or compatible fluid!

Redline AT Fluid For 350Z - Official Response

Question:

The New 2003 Nissan 350Z states that the Automatic Transmission should only use the following type of fluid:

Genuine Nissan ATF Matic Fluid J or Castrol Transmax J or IDEMITSU ATF HP.

Do you carry any compatible AT fluid for the 350Z?

Thanks.

RESPONSE FROM RED LINE:

Sorry we don't have a cross for that fluid, as the specs aren't published.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil
Old 10-16-2002, 06:05 PM
Boomer

Default AT

I hope I'm still alive when you learn how to spell, moot. And its 37 years, punk. Bye, bye.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:45 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dbalogh
was the question from a gen-x'er or a "BAAAAABY!!" BOOMER. Not everyone has had the priveledge to be as old as some others but I'll bet some newbies could teach others something. If you have a problem with a thread, you really don't have to post. You could try keeping you mouth shut. Listen and learn. Posts that complain about rethreads are a waste of bandwidth. It's ALREADY POSTED! You must not know much about the internet to complain about bandwidth regarding a forum thread. I don't think anyones internet speed is going to suffer. Maybe we should begin a Forum for snobby oldtimer know-it-alls to criticize the newbies. Oh what joy! And save the stale idle threats. Really, that was a waste of bandwidth. Oh you might be banned for posting a legit question without using the search forum. The whining about 'go use the search forum' is mute. If you don't want to see it again, don't look at it. YOU are the one starting a fight. If you don't want to post, DON'T! and you might bag the 27 yrs. of MT. Really, who cares?!! Your past is not important. his is not about you. Go drive your AT and shut the hell up granny.
Well here's is the position of one of our more youthful members. Please use a search button. It IS a waste of bandwidth. No, my connection will not suffer but I (as most of us on this forum) do not want to have to wade through all of the reposts on this forum to find new threads or threads that could have been missed due to the magnitude of reposts.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:11 PM
MELRUMMY

Default 5spd Auto

I'm loving the auto. Took it down to PIR (Portland Int. Raceway) and did 3 x1/4 mile runs. Best was 96.5MPH and 14.5 seconds. I didn't really load the trans at launch but I did run up against the limiter once. Shifrs at high RPMs are nothing but crisp. But then when you are downtown or stuck in traffic the pure auto is great.

I don't feel like I'm losing anything and then when my left leg needs exercise I can get out my 84AE Turbo and shift to my heart's content and head for the hills.

Life is good.

Keep on Z'n Still jumpin for joy !!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:10 AM
mydogscool

Default for mwaller

You asked what type of redine.
75W90 in the 6 speed manual tranny
75W90NS in the differential
and of course 10W30 in the motor.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:21 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

I believe automatics are used in the top fuel dragsters in the nation so there's nothing "wimpy" about automatics - heck you could say airconditioning is for wimps. Truth is you yourself have to decide what's best for you and your own tastes. As Rick Nelson said "you can't please everyone so you got to please yourself" BTW I own a 6mt - I simply like to shift gears but that doesn't mean everybody should.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:29 AM
silvrz5

Nice job jay, i was going to post somthing about this guy, it just seemed like all he, dbalogh" , wanted to do was cause trouble.

He wasnt adding anything to this site but trouble. Nice boot.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:21 PM
Bob Grieve

I am quite happy with the auto. I use the manual mode almost exclusively after warm up. I just hit 1600km (1000mi) today so I haven't revved it much past 4000 yet but it seems to be very responsive off the line. My only complaint is that i wish the shift buttons were on the steering wheel like my wife's Lexus GS400
This is my 4th new Z (78 280Z, 81 280ZX, 90 300ZXTT)
The Twin Turbo was also an auto and very few manuals ever beat me!
When you are caught in traffic the auto is sure nice to have.

Quick Reply: Automatic 350z owners.......respond.