Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how well does your V1 setup work? what would be your perfect custom setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 06:24 PM
orhanz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how well does your V1 setup work? what would be your perfect custom setup?

i just got my V1, i'm going to have a local (very good) stereo shop hardwire it into my car but i don't know where everything should go... i've seen the brackets some people use to mount it under their rear view, but i know i'll probably end up w/ an obstruction of view ticket sooner or later w/ that setup... i've also seen the setup where the V1 main unit is mounted in the back and the display module is up front, but wouldn't the rear view mirror block the V1's field of view if it was mounted back their? I was originally planning on going w/ the trunk setup (i have the V1+conceal display) but it doesn't look like the V1 gets a clear view ahead... what other setups have you seen? how well does it work? please share what setup you've gone with and how well yours works...

p.s. the local shop also said that they can do ANYTHING i want and there really is no limit... they said one of the guys working there even put the arrows into the rear view mirror of his car, they also mentioned they can cut into the dash and put in the display unit, basically anything i wanted... if you can have your V1 setup done anyway (custom) how would you do it?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:36 AM
jreiter

I've got mine mounted in the back. It has an unobstructed view front and rear as long as you offset it. I just used one of the 4 tabs that holds on the headliner in the rear. (Along with modifying the visor clip that comes with the V1.) Easy install, and seems to work flawlessly so far.

I previously had this mounted up front on the windshield, and I've noticed no reduction in signal strength at the known spots where there are speed signs and such.

main unit mount:
http://www.spintronic.com/gallery/vi...ar_view_inside

remote unit up front:
http://www.spintronic.com/gallery/vi...p?id=v1_remote

In that first pic, I'm leaning to the left to mess with the stereo. When the passenger is sitting back like normal, their head does not obstruct the detector, nor does the mirror.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:02 AM
orhanz33

that's originally where i planned on mounting the main unit, but i don't understand how the rear view or passenger's head not get in the way
Old 08-14-2004, 04:35 PM
jreiter

As long as you don't use the very last plastic snap as the mounting point, the V1 does not sit behind the passenger. It sits roughly in between the passenger and mirror.

Radar won't be affected regardless, since radar detection doesn't require perfect line of site to be perfectly functional. Radar bounces around on everything, so as long as your detector can get hit by some of the radar waves, you're good to go. Laser does require line of site, of course, but you still mostly have that through the front window. Besides, laser detection isn't terribly helpful one way or another. All it's telling you is that you just got zapped.

I basically chose the rear mounting position because I do feel it's at least 95% functional, and 100% cosmetically preferable. Those mirror-mounts that hang down below the mirror are just too obvious and in the way in my opinion. Sticking the unit to the windshield with suction cups certainly works and provides fantastic front coverage, but it's a pain as you have to remove the unit if you park the car in untrustworthy neighborhoods. It also blocks the passenger sun visor, which is a problem for me since I usually have a passenger. (My girlfriend.) With the unit mounted in the back, it works perfectly, is hidden from view outside the car, and is completely out of the way.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:09 PM
ZRoadsterClub

My V1's record: Detected a Ka at 3.2 miles. (assuming he was traveling the same speed I was---I had traveled 1.6 mi by the time he passed me going the other way).

Conditions: Clear weather, flat/unobstructed/straight road, 75 degrees.

I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 06:20 PM
orhanz33

that's crazy, where was it mounted?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Hammerman
Got twisties?

This is mount setup I have for my V1.

This one works also:

http://www.zip-products.com/Corvette...=false&GiftID=

With the top one, you have to drill through the mounting bracket that comes with the V1 to attach the long straight piece that replaces the screw to secure the mirror (titanium drill bit required). But the mount location is great - right below the rear-view mirror and in perfect view. In this setup no remote display is required.