Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How Regal Nissan (Atlanta) screwed me out of $7k (and tried to screw me on $2k more)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 07:52 PM
GradZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Regal Nissan (Atlanta) screwed me out of $7k (and tried to screw me on $2k more)

Saturday - I trade in my 350z Touring for the 350z Roadster Touring. (I had 12.4k in equity in my original car). I get the "menu" with extended warranty/simoniz/lojack crap on it and I tell them I'm not interest in any of it. Well the Finance guy proceeds to tell me it's required by the bank who financed it so I had to agree, right? Haha, joke is on me.

Monday - I decide I made a mistake and to eat it until the bank calls me up saying they wouldn't approve the financing until I renew my license which expired. At this point I start pondering the idea of switching to the Altima. Then the dealership calls me and I tell them I will renew my license Friday.

Thursday - I go into the dealership and tell them I want to switch to the Altima. They tell me they can't do anything until I renew my license and they they refuse to let me drive off with an expired license (my insurance company said i was covered). Then the car salesman who sold me my Z offered to be nice and drive me around and get my license renewed. Well I agreed, and that ****ed me because they were only doing it to lock me into the original contract cause the 350z gives them a higher commission than an Altima (less markup over invoice, etc.). Plus they woulda lost a little value on me having driven the Z for 400 miles that week.

After an exhausting day of going back and forth between a courthouse and the DMV, I decided to wait till Friday to trade it in.

Friday - I call up the bank and ask them if I was required to have the 5/year 100k mile warranty and Simoniz Paint Protection that the Finance guy at Regal Nissan said was Required. They said no. I go over there and start bitching them out about it and they said i could always cancel the extended warranty but the Simoniz has already been applied and it's too late. So that's $2k in options that got financed into the car that I didn't need and would ultimately cost $3k or more after the interest is is applied over the term of the loan.

I decide to trade in my car for the Altima and that's when the shocker comes, they locked me into the original contract by being nice and renewing my license because I had immediately lost over $6900 in equity when I bought the 350z roadster.

I traded it in for a Honda Civic (to drop my payments) and it turns out I only had $5500 in equity. So 12400-5500 = 6900 I lost for buying a car and it only having 300 miles. My trade in value on a car I bought at MSRP ($37k) was only 32.5k

How did I lose it? Well the 350z is marked up $3k over invoice, $1k in taxes, 500 in doc fees and miscellaneous expenses, and now I owe $14k on a Civic when I could have only owed only 7k.

The dealership was very unethical, lied when I said I didn't want the paint protection and extended warranty but he said it was required and I gave him some undue respect in that regard, and then they ****ed me by making me renew my license. I needed a car to get to and from work while I tried to get out of this deal cause it was gonna take a day or two to sort it out and I was afraid they'd call the cops on me for driving on a suspended license. After all they knew where I worked and lived.

Any Idea where I can file complaints/reports about some of the sales pressure tactics they used against me?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:30 PM
bjl311

Who was your finance guy? I talked to two different ones and the first one was a complete d*ck and tried screwing me but the second one I talked to was a lot nicer and went through and explained everything completely to me, and even got me a lower apr.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:53 PM
xray2

It's nice to hear your story, but looks like your ***** got the better of you and you just went for a deal without really thinking about the price or the consequences. You have no reqcourse as you already signed a contract. Even if a dealership was using high-pressure sales tactics, there is always the door. If they were flat-out lying, you'd have to prove it which would be pretty hard without evidence.

Welcome to the world of business.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:34 PM
guru_ck

You went from a 350z to a Altima to a Civic... very interesting! If you could afford the Z I would of kept it because you lost a **** load of money on that deal. Honda makes good cars. Best of luck with the Civic.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:30 PM
yiaquemini

damn dude, you got raped in the **** by that dealorship, at this point there is really nothing you can do, because you signed your name on their contract.

you can write to the Better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org
and then goto www.carbuyingtips.com and read their guide so you wont get screwed again in the future.

good luck
Old 08-15-2004, 10:49 PM
rbaggett1

The Better Business Bureau is a worthless organization. Nuff said.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:34 AM
synth19

^ EXACTLY. They dont do ****, they just kep a record of reported business's
Old 08-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Bob Bigelow

Having dealt with Regal myself, I can say you made 3 major mistakes. In order of seriousness:
1. Doing business with Regal
2. Being on same street as Regal
3. Knowing of Regal
Needless to say I was very unhappy with my visit there. I got a great deal of satisfaction knowing I gave them no business when I shopped for my Z.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Holy crap.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:30 AM
Happyending
Banned

#1.....Are you an "F" ing IDIOT?

#2.....Are you an "F" ing IDIOT...
Old 08-16-2004, 06:33 AM
MA4

you are an idiot.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:11 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not trade in the Civic now for an xB?
Old 08-16-2004, 07:13 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you lay down on the mattress and spread 'em wide like you did, you should expect to get ****ed. You have nobody to blame but yourself. You had no idea what you were doing or what you wanted when you walked in the door, and while the whole ' you have to buy this stuff to get financed' thing is a little shady, they simply held you to contracts that you were willing party to.

I'm not saying that they couldn't have been more charitable towards you, but they're in the business of making money, not wasting man-hours babysitting you just so you can turn one of their new cars into a used car and then give it back and let them eat the depreciation.

You got what you had coming.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:20 AM
GradZ

Finance Guy - Chris Garcia, a fat ugly punk
Sales Guy - Jeff Johnson, a former stripper (as I learned when he was bringing me to get my license) which shoulda made me realize he was out to **** me over.

I made a mistake, I ate the cost by trading in for the Civic but having going from a Camaro to 4runner to M5 to 350z Touring, and the 350z Roadster, nothing ever compared to the M5.

Cars mean nothing but I still have trouble sleeping knowing Regal screwed me out of $7k.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:40 AM
wanderlust

Holy crap...you can't just trade in new cars whenever you want and not expect to get f*cked.

Yes, they (Regal) sound a little shady, but dude...this is mostly your fault.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:56 AM
GradZ

Yes, I expected to get ****ed but when I realized I had an out because my expired license invalidated the contract, I wanted to switch and that's when Regal ****ed me on the 7k by making it seem like they couldn't do anything while my license was expired.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Happyending
Banned

Dude,
Nobody put a gun to your head....Blame yourself and enjoy your Civic that you probably belong in anyway....People like you and old ladies are what car salesman consider prey...
Old 08-31-2004, 04:35 AM
davidgaddy

You should trade your Civic for a Kia you jackass.That is about the wildest sh*t I've ever heard of.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:24 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you trade in your Civic for Geo Metro now?

When people have no idea what they doing and what they want they tend to get screwed.

You wanted to exchange your Z for a roadster? You have an internet. Look around. Find a good price. Find service you like. Find financing with APR you like. Sign papers. Drive car. Simple.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Frankiep

You should have gone to Team Nissan in Marietta. They treated me like royalty.

Quick Reply: How Regal Nissan (Atlanta) screwed me out of $7k (and tried to screw me on $2k more)