Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 12:34 PM
mbonanni1856

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window Problems

I bought a pre-owned 2003 Track Edition Z about a month ago. When I use the auto mode on the drivers side power window to roll it up, it goes all of the way up then goes back down about a quarter of the way. Basically I can not roll the drivers side window all of the way up using the one touch system. Is this normal or should I take it in? If it is normal, why the hell would they do that?
Old 08-26-2004, 01:01 PM
max350

Default Re: Window Problems

Originally posted by mbonanni1856
I bought a pre-owned 2003 Track Edition Z about a month ago. When I use the auto mode on the drivers side power window to roll it up, it goes all of the way up then goes back down about a quarter of the way. Basically I can not roll the drivers side window all of the way up using the one touch system. Is this normal or should I take it in? If it is normal, why the hell would they do that?
This is a common problem; happens to BMW's also. Take it in to the dealer.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:45 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI - When you are putting the window up, hold the button in the UP position for about 5 seconds after the window is completely closed and it will stay up. This is just a workaround until you get it fixed. (This temp fix is working for me until I can get it to the dealer)
Old 08-26-2004, 08:04 PM
BILZ Z

It's the window regulator. Sometimes they can adjust it to work properly or, if not, replace it. I'll let you know ... I'm going in tomorrow at 8:00AM to have mine fixed.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:18 AM
t350z

I have the same problem. My dealer said that all they have to do is re-set the power control module and will do this under warranty at my next service. Interestingly, in the latest issue of Road & Track magazine they experienced the same thing in their long term Z. Their dealer said that they had to re-set the window control module "which included removing the door panels" and cost about $368 US.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Hazade

Originally posted by t350z
I have the same problem. My dealer said that all they have to do is re-set the power control module and will do this under warranty at my next service. Interestingly, in the latest issue of Road & Track magazine they experienced the same thing in their long term Z. Their dealer said that they had to re-set the window control module "which included removing the door panels" and cost about $368 US.

eek! thats not good. guess I gotta make a stop in before warranty is up! it only happened to me once and works fine now.. think I need to get it reset? will they even do it if its working ok now
Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 AM
qwsxz

the online article say $168. Don't know which is correct, but still expensive.

Article
Old 08-27-2004, 11:32 AM
ZRiCaN

Interesting just get ready to post on this.
I have had my car since beginning of Oct 2002. Summer of 03, drivers window began screwing up on auto up. Took it in, dealer tried just repair, also tried lieing to me that my window tint installer screwed it up, caught him redhanded. I was like..
1. because of My350Z.com I know of other Z's with the exact same problem, that are completely stock.
2. I know everything that has been done to this car and I know the door has never been taken apart.
3.I work at the place part-time that I got them tinted at and I know how it is done and would not have caused that.
He began to immediately retract his statements saying that it was the Tech, not him, that said it the tint was the cause. He realized I was really pi$$ed that he lied to me and got caught, also realized that I wasn't some kid who just bought I nice sports car, that I knew my stuff, granted I'm no expert but I know enough. Needless to say it was "repaired" under warranty.
2 months later the window started doing it again, not only that when it wasnt going down by itself, it would short out completely and wouldnt work. Took it again (2nd time), replaced window motor, that seemed to do the trick window worked great. Flash forward to about 2 months ago. Passenger window begins doing auto up defect. Ha! I already knew what the problem was, also getting my 04 transmission put in too funny enough, It took like 2 weeks for my window motor to come in, they were back ordered oddly enough, I wonder why motor came in installed under warranty, both work fine, forward again to about 3 days ago. Drivers window dies alltogether, doesnt go up/down, doesnt Vacu-lok, when you open and close doors. I am reasearching Florida's lemon law now. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, my coworkers may say too much. Also this is my first big investment, whether it was a Z or not, this my first new car, everything is in my name. I shouldnt have to go thru this. My supervisor has like an 01 Hyndai Accent he bought brand new for $6000, and he has had no problems, I have a somewhat hi-end sports car, and my car has been in the shop for warranty repairs more in less than 2 years than some cars whole life spans. just frustrated just needed to vent, I hope you all have better luck than me.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Dissident

He, funny post. Guess what happened to me at lunch? Driver's window won't go up!

About 2 months ago, I noticed they didn't drop like the used to. So, got new regulators under warranty. then, body shop replaced my passenger window, and didnt adjsut it, so it doesn't drop right, so I need to get that fixed, and now my driver's window jsut stopped working completly. dunno why; I hear the relay click when I push the button, but no motor noise or anything

I'm getting really tired of getting work done on my Z.... I'm starting to wonder what Audi A4 reliability is like....
Old 08-28-2004, 12:04 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Dissident

I'm getting really tired of getting work done on my Z.... I'm starting to wonder what Audi A4 reliability is like....
My passangerside window wouldnt roll up I took it into my local dealership where I bought the car got a call not long after saying they put the window up but they had to order a new motor and it would be in in 2 working days

Droped the car off 2 working days later and it's been working fine since then!

best part is no questions ask! dealer said ok lets fix that for you.

BTW I use to have an A4 they are very nice cars BUT the cost of repairs is much higher then a 350Z I would NEVER EVER own an A4 with out a full bumper to bumper warrenty!!!!!!!!

Boy do they love to eat coils =)
Old 08-29-2004, 08:11 AM
ZRiCaN

After I caight the dealer lying the one time, he's always been like lets get that fixed, which is cool and all but I keep having to go back for the same **** and eventually the warranty will run out, then I have to start paying for it. the first time the replaced my drivers window motor it worked great for a year! till like I said about a week ago
Old 08-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Blackie

OK, here's my window story....

A few months ago driver's window acted up. I did auto up, the window went up all the way and about a second later dropped back down about 2 inches. That would keep happening untill I held the window button till about 2 seconds after the window closed.

After a few of these incidents, I brought the car in, the dealer tried to explain to me how the windows move a little bit by themslves up and down to seal, I told him that's not what I'm talking about, so he said he'll take a look at it. I got the car back, the problem continued and this time with both windows. I brought the car back again and all of a sudden he know exactly what I'm talking about and will have it fixed.

2months down the road, the problem comes back on driver's side. I bring it back, it gets fixed again. Only that this time I have a new problem. The window doesn't close enough. If I wash the car, the water leaks in. If I drive fast, even with the window up all the way, I can hear the wind comming in, annoying! So... back to the dealer, again... not to mention I'm getting no where with him with the tires.