Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan CD changer for only $142?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 03:16 PM
keepupp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan CD changer for only $142?

Just accessed courtesy parts.com and found 2 cd changers. One unit (a flush mount 6 disc changer) costs over $600....the other (a trunk mount) costs 142! From what I read, both are compatible..the only benefit I see to having the flush mount $600 unit is that it doesnt have to mount in the trunk. Anyone have any thoughts on this unit. Both are made by Clarion, and both DO NOT require an FM modulator. Seems like an excellent buy.

One more thing, does the base stereo (non-bose) have the cd changer controls? Unfortunately I am at work and my Z and owners manual are at home. Thanks!

Here is the link: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Category_Code=
Old 10-22-2002, 04:33 PM
anthony

It says it works with all Nissan Stereo's with built in Auto Changer controls. I don't think the stock radio has that.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:20 PM
LowFuel

142 seems kinda pricey for a Clarion.

Old 10-22-2002, 07:54 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by VQracer
I think they do since my dealer offered the CD changer to me. He showed the one that fit into the mailboxes. I didn't need it of course but it should work with the factory stereo since it is a Nissan accessory for the Z.

Victor
wrong! ha, i actually know something victor doesnt

look at the wiring for the 6-disc single DIN kit (thr $600+ one)..
http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruct/350Z-6DSCD_1.html

it basically needs a new harness which routes the CD signal into the headunit. this results in the play/pause/ff/skip buttons on the headunit to all work on the current CD selected. to change CDs, you need to press the appropriate button on the cd-changer (1-6). note: the headunit does not have changer controls, nor the ability to know/display what CD is actually playing.

now, the changer with the cartridge... the cheap one...
it will not work, since you cant select the CDs without a headunit that has changer controls. this would exclude the 350Z.

in summary... you are stuck with the $600 option, for nissan parts, atleast...

m
Old 10-23-2002, 09:59 AM
TalonZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SkiDaZZLe,

Thanks for the installation info' from Courtesy. When I originally viewed the image of the $600 CD changer on Courtesy's web site, I assumed the 1 through 6 buttons might have been to choose which CD to load (as in inserting the disc into the changer). Are you positive you are correct about the operation of the unit?

I assume the in-dash CD player continues to function normally with the new changer in place?
Old 10-23-2002, 10:13 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by TalonZ
SkiDaZZLe,

Thanks for the installation info' from Courtesy. When I originally viewed the image of the $600 CD changer on Courtesy's web site, I assumed the 1 through 6 buttons might have been to choose which CD to load (as in inserting the disc into the changer). Are you positive you are correct about the operation of the unit?

I assume the in-dash CD player continues to function normally with the new changer in place?
this is all i could come up with given the instructions and looking at the FSM for the car.

buttons 1-6 (ON THE CHANGER) are for which cd to load. buttons 1-6 on the headunit i dont think will be used for anything.... doesnt make sense to press those buttons, then turn 180 degrees to swap them out, when the changer itself has those buttons.

put it this way... there are no controls on the changer (besides disc selection)... and no changer controls on the headunit.

because of this, i would guess that the single disc in the headunit would stop working... since all the controls (including CD button) now control the 6disc.

if someone has one already, please post!