Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:48 AM
Naresh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems

Has anyone had the clutch on their Z replaced after around 20-25,000 miles? There are quite a few cars over here in the UK which have failed clutches due to excessive wear, and which Nissan are refusing to pay for under warranty!

Just trying to get an idea of how many failures have actually occurred over in the US and if it was replaced under warranty! I would refuse to buy a car whose clutch only lasted 20,000 miles - even with hard driving, it should last at least 40-50,000 miles!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:42 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incorrect, there is no way of knowing how long a clutch will last. All it would take are some real bad clutch slip launches in a row to severly kill the life of the stock clutch. I can definitely see a clutch only lasting 20,000 miles if you are a poor driver or someone that constantly launches the car at 2000 RPM from stops and slips it alot.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Naresh

Originally posted by King Tut
Incorrect, there is no way of knowing how long a clutch will last. All it would take are some real bad clutch slip launches in a row to severly kill the life of the stock clutch. I can definitely see a clutch only lasting 20,000 miles if you are a poor driver or someone that constantly launches the car at 2000 RPM from stops and slips it alot.
With early failing clutches, poor paint quality, problems with the BOSE, and feathering of the tyres how can anyone justify getting a Z? I'm being persuaded to stick to German cars for their better build quality and materials used........unless someone can prove me wrong and encourage me these problems are minor, and only affect a few owners??
Old 11-09-2004, 07:49 AM
King Tut

I knew this would turn into a 350Z slam thread. Maybe you should stick to German cars. I mean BWMs never have problems . I guess the thousands of owners of 350Zs somehow managed to justify buying it. You read one message forum with people who constantly only talk about the problems while the other people out there with no problems don't say anything. I can still bark third with 19"s, I love my paint, I would never by the Blose anyways as aftermarket is always better, and my tyres haven't feathered and if they do, I bet it was my fault for not getting an alignment before the tires were ruined. I don't care what anyone says tires are a wear item and cars get misaligned easily. I still can't believe Nissan is warrantying them for people that have never even gotten an alignment since they bought the car. Go ask BMW if they will warranty your tires.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:58 AM
VandyZ

I had 32k miles on mine when I took it out to replace with a JWT clutch and flywheel. My clutch looked almost new. I was not exactly easy on the car either. I have seen one taken out of another car at 20K miles and it was shot. It all depends on how you drive.

Clutch is a wear item thus unless it breaks it wont be replaced.

I have had the car for over 2 years and 40K miles. I dont have nor have seen any paint problems on any Z's. And I see at least 3 a day plus those getting modifications at the shop. Yes my front bumper is peppered, but thats what 40K miles will do. The Bose issues have been fixed from what I hear . . .plus the premium to get the bose is not that high especially when you take into account the other options the touring models come with. What do you expect?

Yes my tires feathered . . .twice . . .I put different tires on and keep the car aligned . . . no more feathering.

This car is not in competition with MB, BMW, or Audi unless you are talking performance or value. If you are looking for a best in class interior, part with the extra cash and go for a German car. As far a build quality the Z cant be beat for the money. From my encounters, German cars spend just as much time if not more in the service bay as any other car.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:32 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had mine long enough to experience any clutch problems (or any other problems you've mentioned) but it is a 2004. Outright failures is another issue entirely.

I've never heard of any just stop working...Did it shatter?

If it just started to slip on you that is normal wear and tear bud, your cost.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:38 PM
NzZ

Default Given this topic, a few silly questions

For you guys who've had your stick cars for a long time (I've never had one of mine for more than 25k)...

What constitutes clutch abuse? When I take off I often bring the revs up to 14 or 1500 then as I release the clutch I let it drop to 1k. Am I destroying my clutch? Also when upshifting/downshifting I try to let the clutch up slowly to keep things smooth. Is this a bad idea as well?

Also, how do you launch if you want a quick street start?

Sorry for the lame questions but like I said I haven't kept any of my stick cars for a long time to find out just how hard I am on them. I do hope I'll be able to keep the Z longer though. Seems that the way most people are taught to drive stick (ie very smoothly) is bad for the clutch...

NzZ
Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Naresh

Default Re: Given this topic, a few silly questions

Thanks for those replies - I wasn't having a go at Japanese cars, just speaking from experience of driving German cars and finding them very refined with high quality materials.

I just wanted to see what the general response would be to the issues I mentioned, because in the UK, the dealers are not clued up to these tyre wear and paint issues so its nice to know how many of you guys, if any, have experienced these problems. You have every right to defend your purchases, and I would react in the same way, but its good to get some real honest comments and help us people who are in the middle of choosing their next car!

I also have to admit, that on price, there is nothing that matches up to the Z at this moment in time, and I think it also looks better than the Infiniti G35!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:47 AM
zillinois

My clutch went at 13,000 miles. The clutch broke apart. Nissan warrantied it. They even put in an aftermarket clutch/flywheel for no extra charge. I beat the ever lovin' h*ll outta mine.