Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New tranny, now clutch sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Alang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tranny, now clutch sucks

I got a new tranny this week due to the dreaded third gear grind. After the tranny went in, my clutch engagement point has moved to the very end of the pedal movement. You have to have the pedal out almost all the way before it engauges. Also, the engagument distance is very short. It acts like a street/strip clutch. Very grabby. Its very hard to modulate the clutch now. Sprited starts off the line are really hard.

I am taking the car back next week to have the dealer adjust it, and normally wouldn't have posted about it, but I meet someone else that happened to own a Z, and had also just had their tranny replaced. He complained about the same problem!

We went to different dealers for the work, so its not a bad mechanic. Did anyone else experiance this when their trannys were replaced?

Anyone know how adjustable the clutch action is?

I don't understand why the action of my clutch was so dramatically different. Any explainations?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Sully

Alang,

Im having maybe the same problem with my transmission, yet im not sure if its the same. Every so often I cant get into 3rd, or yet it grinds in. It doesnt happen all the time, just every so often, But always happen at the worst of all time, highway, etc. I took it to Nissan, and they said that they couldnt replicate the issue, so therfor there no prob. how did u report this? Is there a prob. reference I can resource? Only 1500 miles on it..

Sully
Old 11-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Woody

I'm having the same issue and tried to schedule a time for the dealer to look at it next week. The guy I spoke with said he knows nothing about this type of issue with the 350. I would be curious to know if there has been a TSB issued identifiying this.

Any advise??
Old 11-12-2004, 02:46 PM
ZxRage

Well to make you feel better, I currently have aroun 24K on my car and I am just starting to have this issue where I think that I shifted into 3rd. but I come to find out it still needs to go in like 1/4" to engage. Even though it looks like it is in 3rd. gear and it feels like it is in 3rd. gear, it really just needs to be pushed (sometimes pretty hard) to get that last little bit of travel to actaully engage into 3rd. gear. It doesn't do it all of the time but it does happen and when I drop the clutch, all I hear are the gears grinding, I am thinking about bringing it to teh dealer before next year because my warranty is almost up!
Old 11-12-2004, 05:27 PM
boma

I bought my Z used, and I found out from my dealer that it has a new tranny.

Yes the clutch is stiff as hell and it catches at the very end.

It acts like it has an agressive clutch on it.

So it's not just you, perhaps that is how the newer tranny's are.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Them Bones

You can adjust the clutch pedal so it grabs sooner. Just loosen the locknut on the master cylinder pushrod, then turn the rod a couple turns and test it. You might have to try a couple times to get it just right.