Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Found this story on the 370Z today. Should be at the L.A auto show in November.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 AM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by toy4two
I hope its 200LBS lighter than the 2003 / 2004 models, if they just got rid of 200LBS on the later models its right back to what is was back in 2003.

Weird the G37 turned into such a porker but they are making an effort to do the Z right
Several owners have weighed various model year Z's, the 06+ weigh in about the same as the earlier models. Where Nissan came up with the increased curb weight is anyones guess. Every since Carlos Ghosn took over Renault as well, it seems like Nissan as a whole has been releasing less revolutionary models.

When the G35 came out, it practically up the ante in the entire category, despite some of its rough edges. The G37 is the polished version of the G35, albeit its increase in weight. The G37 would have been the standard setting car had it come out in 2003, instead of the G35. Don't get me wrong it's a great car, but it doesn't nearly stand out in the crowd as much as the G35 did. The competition in this category is much tougher than for the Z so its understandable that they wanted to stick to a formula that worked.

If Nissan does release a Z34, I hope it's its a revolutionary design, that is also aesthetically pleasing. The Z is and has been in a market dominated by itself. The only available Japanese pure sports car, with a base price of under 30k. That alone should let Nissan have some freedom when it comes to design. The only real thing to measure for them is the performance, which seems to be the Cayman and Z4. Beyond that they can get pretty crazy with styling and design.

TK
Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 AM
triso07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z is and has been in a market dominated by itself.
I always felt the 2003+ Z's were direct competitors with the S2000 and the RX8.

They had to beat those cars in terms of performance and try to stay a "best bang for the buck" competitor with cars like the Porsche Boxster, Cayman, Z4, etc.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1.

I've always thought the S2000 was the only real threat to the Z as far as performance. Aside from the obvious front engine, RWD lay out, The RX-8's performance, power (or lack of), and backseat and the Z4, Boxster, and Cayman's price didn't really qualify those cars as direct competitors IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have any single one of these vehicles parked next to my Z. The Z just offered the most of what I wanted in a car within my price range.

A little off-topic, but what do you all plan on doing with your Z33 when the Z34 comes out? Trade it in for the Z34, or keep it and have both Zs? I'm leaning towards the latter.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Grommit

I'm keeping my Z33 (put way too much money into it anyway). I'll be sure to pick up a new car when the Z35 is due out.

I'm not going to play the "gotta always have the latest toy or else I'll feel/look bad" game; cause quite frankly, I really shouldn't play it since I need to save for a home one day.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Skorch

Originally Posted by angelo350z
+1.

I've always thought the S2000 was the only real threat to the Z as far as performance. Aside from the obvious front engine, RWD lay out, The RX-8's performance, power (or lack of), and backseat and the Z4, Boxster, and Cayman's price didn't really qualify those cars as direct competitors IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have any single one of these vehicles parked next to my Z. The Z just offered the most of what I wanted in a car within my price range.

A little off-topic, but what do you all plan on doing with your Z33 when the Z34 comes out? Trade it in for the Z34, or keep it and have both Zs? I'm leaning towards the latter.
I'd consider the GTO and Mustang GT as competitors to the Z as well.

I plan on trading in my '07 for the '09 or '10, depending on my financial situation at the time.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Tenac1ousZ

Originally Posted by Grommit
.....I'm not going to play the "gotta always have the latest toy or else I'll feel/look bad" game; cause quite frankly, I really shouldn't play it since I need to save for a home one day.
Translation: I'm going to try and tell myself I don't need a lighter, more-powerful new Z and use logical reasoning like buying a home to try and persuade myself. But I have repeating thoughts of blazing down the hi-way in my newest Z, with the (hard) top down and the warm sun shinning on my face, wind rushing through my hair at 90 mph as I shift all 333 horses through the 6-speed manual transmission, emitting a harmonically intoxicating roar from the quad exhaust, unmistakably recognized as the tune of a VQHR. Pulling up to the red light, admiring the beautifully hand-crafted, double-stitched leather upholstery, I hear to my right:

hey sexy, take me for a ride in your new Z sometimes....

Does that about sum it up or did I leave something out?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:58 PM
angelo350z

Originally Posted by Tenac1ousZ
Translation: I'm going to try and tell myself I don't need a lighter, more-powerful new Z and use logical reasoning like buying a home to try and persuade myself. But I have repeating thoughts of blazing down the hi-way in my newest Z, with the (hard) top down and the warm sun shinning on my face, wind rushing through my hair at 90 mph as I shift all 333 horses through the 6-speed manual transmission, emitting a harmonically intoxicating roar from the quad exhaust, unmistakably recognized as the tune of a VQHR. Pulling up to the red light, admiring the beautifully hand-crafted, double-stitched leather upholstery, I hear to my right:

The funny thing is, 4 years ago, I had just purchased a brand new ABP RSX Type-S when I moved to Florida. I've only had it for 6 months and had 1,700 (correct, 1,700) miles on it. I got bored one day and decided to see the Z33, which impressed me, in person. I told myself no matter how beautiful I thought the car was, it was very impractical and trading in my just-acquired Acura would be irresponsible, and just plain moronic. I kept repeating that to myself on my drive home from the dealership, while shifting the silky-smooth KA20 at 8000 RPMs, and feeling the soft leather seat hugging me as I took a sweeping turn. That didn't work out too well. 2 days later I went back to the dealership in an Acura and drove home in a Nissan. The DC5 was slow .
Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Skorch

The funny thing is, 4 years ago, I had just purchased a brand new ABP RSX Type-S when I moved to Florida. I've only had it for 6 months and had 1,700 (correct, 1,700) miles on it. I got bored one day and decided to see the Z33, which impressed me, in person. I told myself no matter how beautiful I thought the car was, it was very impractical and trading in my just-acquired Acura would be irresponsible, and just plain moronic. I kept repeating that to myself on my drive home from the dealership, while shifting the silky-smooth KA20 at 8000 RPMs, and feeling the soft leather seat hugging me as I took a sweeping turn. That didn't work out too well. 2 days later I went back to the dealership in an Acura and drove home in a Nissan. The DC5 was slow .
Ultimate failure at self control
Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 AM
stev3

Originally Posted by Skorch
Ultimate failure at self control
indeed ahahah
Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Tenac1ousZ

I would have done the same Personally, if I'm going to buy a new car and pay the price to play, I mind as well pay for something I want, as opposed to paying for something I think I should have (I don't mean anything towards you Grommit, was just a joke on the other post )
Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 AM
angelo350z

I would have done the same Personally, if I'm going to buy a new car and pay the price to play, I mind as well pay for something I want, as opposed to paying for something I think I should have (I don't mean anything towards you Grommit, was just a joke on the other post )

Exactly. I don't regret trading in the DC5 for the Z33. I plan on collecting Z cars, so the Z33 will surely stay.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 AM
T_K

I hope the new one looks like one of the renderings. At least then I can feel better about picking up an 07.

TK
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Skorch

Originally Posted by T_K
I hope the new one looks like one of the renderings. At least then I can feel better about picking up an 07.

TK
Haha That's a good way to justify your purchase. I don't think picking up an '07 could ever make you feel bad though. You can always upgrade later too
Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by Skorch
Haha That's a good way to justify your purchase. I don't think picking up an '07 could ever make you feel bad though. You can always upgrade later too
It's just that this is the 2nd Nissan I've picked up where the engine only had a run of 2 years. The car I had before this was a 2000 Maxima. Ran from 2000-2001 and then the 02+ got the VQ35. Needless to say, aftermarket parts were readily available for the previous 95-99 and the 02-03. Now Nissan stiffs me again by only running this engine for 07-08 and then an all new motor for an all new chassis. Whoever over at Nissan decided to release the Z34 so soon, I'd like to give a swift kick in the groin.

TK
Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
35Z

Looks like the rumor may be true; that the front window rack will increase and overall, the car platform may be possibly smaller (or lighter)? I am curious what the wheel base length will be.

The balance presumably (hopefully) will evolve (less like a GTR grill, front fenders, and door handles want-a-be's). I am interested if the front suspension geometry will improve (front wheel hub/bearings). Judging by the photo, I guess, the side view mirror housings will add turn indictors.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by 35Z
Looks like the rumor may be true; that the front window rack will increase and overall, the car platform may be possibly smaller (or lighter)? I am curious what the wheel base length will be.

The balance presumably (hopefully) will evolve (less like a GTR grill, front fenders, and door handles want-a-be's). I am interested if the front suspension geometry will improve (front wheel hub/bearings). Judging by the photo, I guess, the side view mirror housings will add turn indictors.
What photo? The orange one with chrome rims? I hope it looks like that one, then I won't want it.

TK

Last edited by T_K; 02-11-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 PM
WShade

Default What is this???

Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Tenac1ousZ

Originally Posted by WShade
a sexy nissan is what is it
I heard that's the rumored 240sx. It doesn't look like the Z33 much, not a lot of resemblance...seems to be rear-wheel drive from the fat rear tires. The next Z is supposed to have a design immediately recognizable as a Z replacement.... But who knows, that could be the next Z. Personally, I like this one better than the other orange ball, but still think the current Z (07-08) has a classy/unique look that I like most.
By the way, from the looks of this picture, it's definitely in final production form, no doubt about it.

Originally Posted by T_K

TK
I think the next Z would have decent improvement over the model it replaces, probably the same way the HR is to the older Z33. But if you like the current Z's look, '07-08 are the model to have, simply because of its HR engine and overall updated looks. I think it's the best of the Z33 line.

Last edited by Tenac1ousZ; 02-11-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 PM
brooke

Thats looks really nice....
Old 02-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Grommit

What? I didn't read what you wrote... all I saw was a hot woman.

Screw the status game. I'm over it. I hardly get noticed in my Z as it is now. I don't think that'll change if I got the next gen model either.

Quick Reply: Found this story on the 370Z today. Should be at the L.A auto show in November.