Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

New Autoweek predicts.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 AM
zsport1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be interesting to see what the 370 can actually do. To me though, I don't care much about the straight line times as much as I care about how it performs on the track. That's where the real fun is.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZZtopp
Doubtful. The C6, which weighs about the same as the 370Z has 436 HP and 424 TQ/LBS and does 0-60 in 4.0 to 4.4, depending upon which road test you decide to believe. With over 100 HP less and over 150 less TQ/LBS, the Z will be lucky to break under 5.0, if even that.

You are completely forgetting about the TRACTION and GEARING factors here. Plus it doesn't look like you read my first post.

A C6 vette's 0-60 time is greatly affected by lack of traction, and it also has much longer gearing than the Z...
Old 11-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Hypnoz

Doubtful. The C6, which weighs about the same as the 370Z has 436 HP and 424 TQ/LBS and does 0-60 in 4.0 to 4.4, depending upon which road test you decide to believe. With over 100 HP less and over 150 less TQ/LBS, the Z will be lucky to break under 5.0, if even that.
Think about that a little more. It pulls 4.0's. The reason it varies up to 4.4 is because of traction problems and very tall gearing.

There are many cars with similar hp to weight ratios as the 370z that are in the 4's. 135i comes to mind. You say powertrain loss is minimal on bmw but you are mistaken. They just underrate that engine, it produces more like 330hp in reality. The Z will come in 100lb-130lb lighter than that car, and much better tires (135 uses run flats). So in theory, the Z will have better traction as well.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:18 AM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
You are completely forgetting about the TRACTION and GEARING factors here. Plus it doesn't look like you read my first post.

A C6 vette's 0-60 time is greatly affected by lack of traction, and it also has much longer gearing than the Z...

Gearing is not going to make up for the substantial difference in power between the two cars. You can whine all you want about the 0-60 yardstick, but it's the most common measurement of acceleration used in most road tests.....right or wrong. It's just an easier thing for most drivers to get a handle on than 1/4 mile times.....and 1/4 mile times can vary just as much relative to drivers and road conditions.

As far as traction, I have no problem hooking up my C6 and pulling 4.1's all day long. That's pretty much the car's best....it's not actually faster than that due to any lack of traction.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by phatz33
haha that means the current z's are quicker
No it doesn't. It just means AutoWeek doesn't know jack sh*t.

This car will run to 60 in less than 5 seconds easily.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Gearing is not going to make up for the substantial difference in power between the two cars. You can whine all you want about the 0-60 yardstick, but it's the most common measurement of acceleration used in most road tests.....right or wrong. It's just an easier thing for most drivers to get a handle on than 1/4 mile times.....and 1/4 mile times can vary just as much relative to drivers and road conditions.
I don't care if it's the most common...it's still a dumb thing to compare cars with. 1/4 miles takes a lot more out of the equation especially with trap speed regardless of ET.

As far as traction, I have no problem hooking up my C6 and pulling 4.1's all day long. That's pretty much the car's best....it's not actually faster than that due to any lack of traction.
Rev it to 5 grand and do a quick slip/dump of the clutch and tells me what happens. I roll around with a bunch of vettes and they all could use more traction, stock and modded. One in particular an 07 Z51 pulled 2.0 60's on the stock tires. With a simple change to DRs he went low 1.7s...that will drop nearly a half second off your beloved 0-60 time with ZERO power increase.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Z053

0-60 is usually just for bragging rights as drag strips don't even bother measuring that since they only do 1/4 and 1/8 mile times.

Handling is probably the main thing I would like to know about the 370Z, is it better than the 350Z and since they are targeting the Cayman - will it be comparable? I rode in a E92 M3 for the first time the other day and the car is seriously on rails around turns at high speeds with no signs of slipping whatsoever. I don't expect the 370Z to be near the M3's handling but the BMW weighs about 400 pounds more and has a larger wheelbase so the Z hopefully will be more toss-able.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Z053
0-60 is usually just for bragging rights as drag strips don't even bother measuring that since they only do 1/4 and 1/8 mile times.

Handling is probably the main thing I would like to know about the 370Z, is it better than the 350Z and since they are targeting the Cayman - will it be comparable? I rode in a E92 M3 for the first time the other day and the car is seriously on rails around turns at high speeds with no signs of slipping whatsoever. I don't expect the 370Z to be near the M3's handling but the BMW weighs about 400 pounds more and has a larger wheelbase so the Z hopefully will be more toss-able.
Since the 370Z will be tired adequately it should out-handle an M3. Most because of the massive weight advantage, but also because the suspension and torsional rigidity are greatly improved over the Z33...plus the short wheel base will help too.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Z053

Since the 370Z will be tired adequately it should out-handle an M3. Most because of the massive weight advantage, but also because the suspension and torsional rigidity are greatly improved over the Z33...plus the short wheel base will help too.
That would be great since I was really impressed by the M3 but at the same time, it's a $60k car. With the 370Z selling for only $33k with the sport package, I will be like a kid in a candy store or Michael Jackson in a preschool.

Either way, it'll be a thriller.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:18 PM
ZZtopp

I don't care if it's the most common...it's still a dumb thing to compare cars with. 1/4 miles takes a lot more out of the equation especially with trap speed regardless of ET.

Rev it to 5 grand and do a quick slip/dump of the clutch and tells me what happens. I roll around with a bunch of vettes and they all could use more traction, stock and modded. One in particular an 07 Z51 pulled 2.0 60's on the stock tires. With a simple change to DRs he went low 1.7s...that will drop nearly a half second off your beloved 0-60 time with ZERO power increase.
If you want to destroy your car, sure.........makes a lot of sense. I'm talking about using the car's power and still being able to drive it for several years without major repairs....using the power, not abusing the car. Sacrificing the car to get a few extra tenths in front of my buddies at some meaningless track timed event is pretty stupid.

I never said 0-60 was the best way to compare cars, it's simply the most common...doesn't matter if it's "dumb" to you or not. Get over it.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 PM
bigdog1250

No stock Evo or Sti runs anything close to 4.5 or less. 4.8 more accurately and that is at $35+ and the new versions are running like 4.9-5.1 for base price of $36K.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 PM
trebien

And a lower center of gravity...

Originally Posted by Z053
Either way, it'll be a thriller.
Ohhh... it's so bad it hurts.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

If you want to destroy your car, sure.........makes a lot of sense. I'm talking about using the car's power and still being able to drive it for several years without major repairs....using the power, not abusing the car. Sacrificing the car to get a few extra tenths in front of my buddies at some meaningless track timed event is pretty stupid.
Silly me...I though we were talking about what the car was CAPABLE OF...oh wait...we were.

I never said you had to put DRs on your car and go to the track. I just told you to try and launch your car a little harder on the street so you could see how much traction becomes a problem. It won't hurt anything spinning your tires a little bit.

Sports cars are made to be abused. I guess you're just a boulevard cruiser...sweet man...sweet.

I never said 0-60 was the best way to compare cars, it's simply the most common...doesn't matter if it's "dumb" to you or not. Get over it.
It's still dumb. And I just laugh at all the people out there who think it's the end all of car comparisons.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Endgame

That BMW E92 M3 is VERY nice and handles extemly well for a 3600 pound car. Like others have stated, I am more concerned with the Z's handeling. I HOPE it handles better than my Mazdaspeed equipped RX8.

Obviously 0-60 times don;t mean much to me... I DRIVE AN RX8!!! All about handeling...
Old 11-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Endgame

Originally Posted by trebien
And a lower center of gravity...

Ohhh... it's so bad it hurts.

You have issues my friend....
Old 11-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Endgame
Obviously 0-60 times don;t mean much to me... I DRIVE AN RX8!!! All about handeling...
Ahh..the classic albeit funny bitter truth! Well spoken my good man!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 PM
ZZtopp

Silly me...I though we were talking about what the car was CAPABLE OF...oh wait...we were.

I never said you had to put DRs on your car and go to the track. I just told you to try and launch your car a little harder on the street so you could see how much traction becomes a problem. It won't hurt anything spinning your tires a little bit.

Sports cars are made to be abused. I guess you're just a boulevard cruiser...sweet man...sweet.

It's still dumb. And I just laugh at all the people out there who think it's the end all of car comparisons.

Yeah...I pull 4.1's on the boulevard.....duh.......
Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Yeah...I pull 4.1's on the boulevard.....duh.......

What...on a G-TECH??? LMFAO
Old 11-21-2008, 08:02 PM
ZZtopp

What...on a G-TECH??? LMFAO
Briguy laughs:

Old 11-22-2008, 04:25 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Briguy laughs:

G-TECH pro - $200

Mad tite C6 Corvette - $40K+

Internet subscription - $30

Realizing you sound like a total moron quoting G-TECH pro acceleration times from your mad tite Vette on the internet......
PRICELESS

Quick Reply: New Autoweek predicts.....