Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

350z vs Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:18 PM
banhbao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z vs Boxster?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone of you has driven both of the car. Which one is more fun to drive? Of course the Z is a more powerful car but in term of handling, which is better? Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did and picked Z over Boxster. I still like the Z handle over Boxster. Cheaper too.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z all the way baby, until you move up a class in Porsche
Old 01-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Built2shredZ

Should ask this question on a general car forum, as a Z forum is going to be a tad in favor of the 350zr...

The new boxster is pretty sweet but costs more then the ZR. Personaly I rather have the ZR with the extra cash to modify the looks of my ZR. If I bought a boxster it would of pretty much stayed stock looking....

That said the Boxster does out performs the ZR in all performance tests.. (Stock vs Stock)...
Old 01-12-2006, 09:54 PM
ohw

I drove both, as well as the S2k. All 3 are fun cars to drive. The Boxster handles a bit better than the ZR. If you plan to track you ride, the Boxster is a better choice. But if that's the case, you should also try the S2k, I found it handles just as good as the boxster from the test drives. I chose the ZR at the end because the handling difference on public road is so minor. And I like the torque, comfort, and look of the ZR more than the other two.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
plumpzz

Oh yeah i drove both. The boxter is not 'slower' since it has better gearing, however it handles better and has MUCHH better brakes. However, its hard to modify and its not cheap to maintain.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:37 PM
G Spot

I'll give you a non-biased answer. Handle is better in Boxster, but it's slow as $hit. Now, if you move up to the Boxster S, power and handling are much improved.
Honestly, though, I think that a boxster is just a big waste of money, even the new MY '05+.

Boxster < S2k < Boxster S. But where does the ZR fit? I hate to say it, but despite the power, I feel its weight when I'm driving it.

(\ /)
( . .)
c('')('')
Old 01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Built2shredZ

What I meant to say was the Boxster S is better performance wise then the 350zr, the 350zr will hold its own against a regular boxster tho
Old 01-16-2006, 12:50 PM
YBLegal

My friend who owns boxster says its piece of crap... high cost maintaince, mild torque, HP, squeeking sounds from all over the car..
you know what they say about boxsters..
Its pooooor mans porsche
Stick with the Z. you will be happy.

Even Japanese tested out.. Skyline, Z, M3, S2000, 360, and way at end... Boxster..
it was in that order.. i will try to dig up the link to that video. but if you see it you'll be like "damn that is a piece of CARP"

Dont get me wrong.. i love porsche.. its just the boxster... i dont like
Old 01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
wooochang

the boxster is an interesting car. basically, why does one buy a boxster? its obviously not for pure performance, since you can get a better car out there for the same or less amount of money.

then its mainly for the porsche badge. well, if its cuz its a porsche, then anyone who knows anything about cars will know that you have the cheapest version of the porsche. its almost like buying the c-class of the mercedes.

the only people you will impress are poor people in trailer parks. you might as well save some money and buy an mr2 and put porsche badges on it.

so to sum it up, get the zr over the boxster.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:35 PM
SpeedyZ

Default I had an S2000, Almost got the ZR but went for the Base Boxster Instead

Ok, just to give you some background, I'm in my 30s and have always had Japanese "sports" cars - RX-7, Eclipse Turbo, Turbo Spyder, S2000 and a G35 6MT. After the G35 it was either a ZR, Boxster or Vette and for what it's worth this is what went into my decision and what I experienced after I got the Boxster (Base).

The S2000 is an awesome car and unbeatable for the money. I had the first model year and was disappointed with Honda's lack of knowledgable service people, the plastic window, the ****ty radio and lack of low-end torque - all of which have been fixed, including new exhaust and bigger tires. At the end of the day, this is your performance value. Problem is lack of specialized dealer service.

ZR - beautiful car, lots of really nice features. I don't care for how it looks with the top up but, top down, it's in motion even when stopped. Ton of torque, and a lot of fun to drive, great bang for the buck. However, the limitations of the car come to light when you turn - there's a lot of cowl shake and the handling isn't as crisp or tight as the S2000 let alone Boxster. It's a great touring car but you can't really push it to hard. The nose dives, oversteer is pronounced, not as much grip as the S2000 and those Brembos squeal like ***** after a few thousand miles (based on my G35 experience). In my opinion it's a great touring car, a good value for the money and if you're looking to drop the clutch at a green light blow the guy in the A4 away, you're in the right car. Same comment on dealer service.

Vette - a little big and soft. 75% of Vettes are automatic. The rear styling is a bit much and while handling in the corners is good, it's not as good as the S2000. Same comment on dealer service.

2005 (987) Boxster (Base) - Nothing, I mean nothing I have ever driven can compare to the Boxster. It's perfectly balanced. It's not a drag racer, you can by a Ford Mustang if that's what you want to do. Frankly this car exceeds my ability to drive it and that's why I've decided to attend a 3 day high performance driving school. Top speed of 159, brakes from 60 in under 110 feet with no fade, no lock-up. The engine sits right behind you so you can be acrobatic in turns. Once you drive it aggressively in corners at speed you'll quickly discover that nothing comes close to the balance the car has - not even the S2000. I always used to compare a car's stats - stats don't tell the whole picture, that's why you test drive a car. With respect to being at the bottom of the Porsche rung, it's just not true and Porsche owners don't view it that way. The Boxster was actually based on the 550 Spyder, which I believe currently sells for a little over $1 million at auction. As to the Stereo, I have the 1,700 Bose option (single disk - you believe that!), it's mediocre at best. Lots of little quality problems, all of which the dealer fixed, but it's not at the quality level of a Japanese car. I have to say the shifter in the S2000 was much better but that's due principally to the Boxster having to work a cable to the transmission...which sits behind you. To sum it up, every other car I've had there's always been something missing - nothing's missing with the Boxster. Not only do you have an incredible machine that will outperform almost anything on the road you have an icon and you're part of a pretty unique club. After the Z came out Nissan surveyed a bunch of owners that purchased the Boxster over the Z, they wanted to know why because the Z on paper outperformed the Boxster in some catagories and had a bigger engine. Guess what - their reasons where the same as mine. Check out Porsche Pete's Boxster Board www.ppbb.com. You'll get the straight story on the problems and what people think - and 99% of it is pure driving ecstacy. "Porsche. There is no subsititue." Good luck and enjoy the ZR it's a very nice well executed car and a great value.

Last edited by SpeedyZ; 01-16-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:38 PM
FairladyZX

Both are great cars. But I'll put my $ on the ZR any dayz.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:09 AM
HeadlightArmor

I would say go drive both. The Boxster I drove was very disappointing. The interior design/fit/finish was better than the Z, but the overall experience was disappointing.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Penderwheels

I owned a 2000 Boxster for 2-1/2 years (Std = 217hp, 5spd) and a 2004 Z rdstr 6 spd since July of 04.

Handling: Boxster is the most well balanced car that I've ever driven. I had about 100 miles of track time on a road course in it and damn, it was the most fun this side of sex.
Z runs a close second.

Shifting: Boxter - even with the cable system - was the smoothest I've ever had. Z is notchy - especially 1-2 and 2-3.

Envy appeal: Boxster.

Accelleration: Z Z Z Z Z Z and Z

Braking: Boxster by a hair.

Fun: the Z because: (1) it has more gimmicks as standard - trip computer, etc. (2) I've got the optional Navi. (3) I worry less about parking lot rash, the "envy" key jobs and the expense of repair.

The boxster has a lot of expensive issues - like random porosity in the engine block, oil leaks, etc. Very expen$ive maintenance (10 quarts of mobile one at oil change). I'd NEVER own one outside of the 36 month warranty.

First choice for the next car: Z

Bill, a 67 yo Geezer
Old 01-25-2006, 05:11 PM
NissanBlack350Z

def. Z
Old 01-25-2006, 05:32 PM
wooochang

Originally Posted by Penderwheels
I owned a 2000 Boxster for 2-1/2 years (Std = 217hp, 5spd) and a 2004 Z rdstr 6 spd since July of 04.

Handling: Boxster is the most well balanced car that I've ever driven. I had about 100 miles of track time on a road course in it and damn, it was the most fun this side of sex.
Z runs a close second.

Shifting: Boxter - even with the cable system - was the smoothest I've ever had. Z is notchy - especially 1-2 and 2-3.

Envy appeal: Boxster.

Accelleration: Z Z Z Z Z Z and Z

Braking: Boxster by a hair.

Fun: the Z because: (1) it has more gimmicks as standard - trip computer, etc. (2) I've got the optional Navi. (3) I worry less about parking lot rash, the "envy" key jobs and the expense of repair.

The boxster has a lot of expensive issues - like random porosity in the engine block, oil leaks, etc. Very expen$ive maintenance (10 quarts of mobile one at oil change). I'd NEVER own one outside of the 36 month warranty.

First choice for the next car: Z

Bill, a 67 yo Geezer
10 quarts? woah!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Penderwheels

Yeah, 10 Qts of Mobile 1 at oil change but..... on the other hand, recommended change interval is 10,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. So it wasn't too bad. However, if you bought all the inspections recommended with an oil change, the dealer charge was $350.00 a pop.

Geezer Bill
Old 01-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Tequila Tony

Default Great driving machines!

If you haven't spent much time behind the wheel of a german car then you can't appreciate what they offer. There is nothing finer to drive, but you pay for it up front and in service later.

When it's all said and done it really is about the money. For another 40k get yourself a Porsche 911! Doesn't get much better than that. Or if you have even more $$$ then go buy a Ferrari and look like a million bucks.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:15 PM
azjimbo

I have read nothing but praise for the Boxster. As many have mentioned its has great balance which shows that a car is more than 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. The biggest problem I have with the Boxster is paying 60k for the S and 50K for base model. Porsche's option prices will drain your wallet for sure.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:30 AM
mwest300zx

I've always been a Z guy. Had a 240z in 1970, an 82 280zx, 91 300zx. Still have a 93 300zx convertible and my 350zr.

Got my wife a Boxster--tiptronic (she can't/won't drive a stick) for Xmas. I thought it sucked, tiptronic sucked. I do quite a bit of road racing. Mostly in a supercharged Miata, sometimes in the ZR. Drive very hard on the roads. Especially on highway exit/entrance ramps. My private liitle test tracks.

After driving the Boxster for awhile and giving it the ramp test. I am very impressed. Tiptronic still sucks but handling is very impressive. Definitely superior to the ZR. I am now giving serious thought to trading my 04ZR for a Boxster S. The S and the ZR are pretty equal in straight line acceleration. 0-60 and 0-100. But, the Boxster's mid engine design is amazing. The Boxster outhandles the 911. The new Cayman (coupe only) which is basically a mid-engine 911 with more power than a Boxster is an even more incredible handling car than either the 911 or Boxster. I never thought I would lean in favor of a Porsche. But, no matter what I'll always keep my 93 300zx convertible.

If you are going to drive like a normal human being and enjoy the ride and the aesthetics of the cars I would stick with the ZR. But, if you are a fanatic about handling/performance and push your car to the limits (not speed) in terms of handling, give the Boxster S a shot. I think you will be impressed.

Quick Reply: 350z vs Boxster?