Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

My 350Z Towed after first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
alexykysil230

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So let me get this right.. you went to a Z dealer to get your oil change done and it looks like they either forgot to put oil in or they forgot to tighten up bolt/filter and now your engine is f'kd up and so is your bumper.... If that is the case you should get a new engine and all the other stuff you ask for as far as i would be concerned thats negligence from their side and now its a large inconvenience for you. I say drain the Z dealers for pure stupidity if i did my job as badly as some of these dealerships do i would have been fired a long time ago.... Again sorry about the ride , im going to drink one for you as well.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
FoxyRed

Originally Posted by Tac-M
wow... that is bad. i wish you best of luck. I had something similar happen to me a few years back with a maxima. they didn't oil / tighten the filter properly so it all came out... talk about a mess.....

I do my changes @ home now...
What ended up happening at the dealer?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:21 PM
FoxyRed

Originally Posted by alexykysil230
So let me get this right.. you went to a Z dealer to get your oil change done and it looks like they either forgot to put oil in or they forgot to tighten up bolt/filter and now your engine is f'kd up and so is your bumper.... If that is the case you should get a new engine and all the other stuff you ask for as far as i would be concerned thats negligence from their side and now its a large inconvenience for you. I say drain the Z dealers for pure stupidity if i did my job as badly as some of these dealerships do i would have been fired a long time ago.... Again sorry about the ride , im going to drink one for you as well.

Yep thats it in a nutshell, by the way my check engine light never reared its ugly head, no lights on in the dash out of the ordinary..... You'd think this would be the prime time for that to turn on....
Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxyRed
Yep..
Don't let the FoxyRed distract you..... I am a very strong redhead.... Dealers hate it when I am in their lot cause I strick a hard deal. And I do not give up. I plan on getting a new engine, my husband is going to insist that we a nismo exhaust and a cold air intake. I think its a good plan, I don't expect it to happen but I'll try. This whole situation is sur-real... I keep thinking I can just go in the garage and take the Z for a spin..... I'm gonna go hit the alcohol now.

By the sounds of it, I'm sure your husband hates to argue with you
Old 03-15-2008, 08:33 PM
alexykysil230

hmmmm.... another potential problem maybe? I know one thing i have been driving my nismo for 4 weeks now and i got at least 6 problems with it already that i don't think are normal, I don't know if i just got one of those bad eggs or what but thanks to the 3 year 36k ill make them fix it if its broken. Have you considered maybe doing an impossible and just getting a nismo? Since they messed up that bad.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ended up happening at the dealer?
nothing other than a bunch of " we apologize "

in my case i stopped as soon as it happened, and kid you not , did the oil change in some paring lot and then proceeded to wash the under body @ a local self service car wash. There was no damage, so I really had nothing to fight for.

This was my baby at that time and I treated her well.....

Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 PM
FoxyRed

nothing other than a bunch of " we apologize "

in my case i stopped as soon as it happened, and kid you not , did the oil change in some paring lot and then proceeded to wash the under body @ a local self service car wash. There was no damage, so I really had nothing to fight for.

This was my baby at that time and I treated her well.....
Actually I did. It got two blocks before I got it off the road, Metcalf is as bad as being stuck in the left lane on a highway....not safe. This happened at 95th and Metcalf on Metcalf, I got it into the parking lot of 93rd and Metcalf. Not unreasonable if you ask me. It didn't act up until 8p.m. this night. I picked it up from the dealer at 3pm
Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Tac-M

i see... but did you notice any burning oil smell or smoke coming out ? if you haven't, then my guess is that they did not fill it up at all ! so in that case the future of your engine is not looking too good.

Also did you check your oil level again? The z could go it to a limp mode due to a faulty sensor or something that could be totally harmless .

EDIT: i just saw the dip-stick and that looks like new oil.... i dont know..... this is not good.

Last edited by Tac-M; 03-15-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:14 PM
FoxyRed

i see... but did you notice any burning oil smell or smoke coming out ? if you haven't, then my guess is that they did not fill it up at all ! so in that case the future of your engine is not looking too good.

Also did you check your oil level again? The z could go it to a limp mode due to a faulty sensor or something that could be totally harmless .

Nope, nothing. Only the reving noise when over 2000 rpms. I checked the oil at least 10 times, once or twice it was higher than in the pic, and it was only above the first dot for low. I think that is the case that they did not fill it up, theres nothing leaking from the vehicle, no pooling in my garage or work parking lot. (We had a friend help retrace steps. The only thing I can think of is that the engine still had enough oil to get it around, I drove about 30 miles after leaving the dealer.... I wish that the dealer next to me would honor the oil changes, cause its right down the street, but no the only one that I thought was good is 14 miles from me.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Tac-M

Nope, nothing. Only the reving noise when over 2000 rpms. I checked the oil at least 10 times, once or twice it was higher than in the pic, and it was only above the first dot for low. I think that is the case that they did not fill it up, theres nothing leaking from the vehicle, no pooling in my garage or work parking lot. (We had a friend help retrace steps. The only thing I can think of is that the engine still had enough oil to get it around, I drove about 30 miles after leaving the dealer.... I wish that the dealer next to me would honor the oil changes, cause its right down the street, but no the only one that I thought was good is 14 miles from me.

ok i would make a guess and since you had oil pres, no warning lights , and obviously the z went in the limp mode ( protective mode that is engaged when something is wrong) - it would be some kind of a sensor that craped -out. ( once again with the max, i had problem with my mass airflow sensor due to over oiled K&N filter which triggered the limp mode )

the good thing is that you had some oil. if it was @ the L mark you may be ok.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Tac-M

here is something about oil level https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=l+mark
Old 03-15-2008, 09:56 PM
FoxyRed

I also noticed that any time I turn the climate control system off that the a/c turns on whether its on cold or hot... anyone else having that problem?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
alexykysil230

nope sorry
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 AM
brad568

hmmmm.... another potential problem maybe? I know one thing i have been driving my nismo for 4 weeks now and i got at least 6 problems with it already that i don't think are normal, I don't know if i just got one of those bad eggs or what but thanks to the 3 year 36k ill make them fix it if its broken. Have you considered maybe doing an impossible and just getting a nismo? Since they messed up that bad.

Looks like you are the other guy here in Indy with a Nismo. I've heard that you were out there. What kind of problems are you having with your car? I'm curious because I just got mine last week and will be on the lookout for these problems. In my experience, different makes of cars all seem to fail in the same way over time.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:57 AM
alexykysil230

Originally Posted by brad568
Looks like you are the other guy here in Indy with a Nismo. I've heard that you were out there. What kind of problems are you having with your car? I'm curious because I just got mine last week and will be on the lookout for these problems. In my experience, different makes of cars all seem to fail in the same way over time.
Static sounds comming from the sound system, Knocking sounds appears from the engine sounds like the rod is messed up but im sure thats not it since its a new car and i haven't abused it period, Shifting into 2nd gear is a pain in the but, When starting up the car in the cold it sounds like it wants to die and not start, Suspension gets loose then tightens up going at a constant speed. I know i may be paranoid on some of these problems but hey as long as i got warranty ill make sure i get everything fixed that is a problem or could be a problem....P.S. sorry about hi jacking the thread *here is a hug /hug
Old 03-16-2008, 06:58 AM
brad568

I also noticed that any time I turn the climate control system off that the a/c turns on whether its on cold or hot... anyone else having that problem?

You may not have a problem at all here. Hopefully you just have the defroster setting turned on. I think if you have a defroster setting on then the AC automatically turns on to remove excess moisture from the air. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing here, though.

Also, I just read about your oil change incident. I really feel for you. I have nightmares about such things happening to my car. Fortunately, if oil registered on your dipstick I think you are in the clear. If I'm not mistaken, the space between the max and min mark on your dipstick represents one quart (this may be an industry standard), so it looks like you might be just a tad over a quart low. If that's the case, then I think your engine should be fine. I still wouldn't be happy, though, if I were you.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it sounds like your engine went into "limp" mode in order to protect itself from damage. I'm wondering if there isn't a low oil sensor that throws your car into limp mode. I'll check the codes and get back to you. Btw, if you are interested, there is an easy way to check what the "Service Engine Soon" light is referring to.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:29 AM
brad568

Static sounds comming from the sound system, Knocking sounds appears from the engine sounds like the rod is messed up but im sure thats not it since its a new car and i haven't abused it period, Shifting into 2nd gear is a pain in the but, When starting up the car in the cold it sounds like it wants to die and not start, Suspension gets loose then tightens up going at a constant speed. I know i may be paranoid on some of these problems but hey as long as i got warranty ill make sure i get everything fixed that is a problem or could be a problem....P.S. sorry about hi jacking the thread *here is a hug /hug
Sorry to hear about the issues, but I'm sure that we can figure out what's normal and what's not at the Indy Z Club meetup this next week. My Nismo is just over a week old, so our cars should be roughly identical in performance. Btw, congrats on being nice to your car in the break-in period! It's nice to see another Nismo owner who is committed to breaking his car in properly.

Yeh, sorry about hijacking the thread. I'm new to this kind of thing but couldn't resist responding to a fellow Hoosier with a Nismo ;o)
Old 03-16-2008, 07:30 AM
blazefast

Default :(

How awful! You have the sympathy of this fellow San Marino owner. I certainly hope it was just a sensor of some sort as others have said. Regardless, the fact that the oil level was so low only 30 miles after a change is VERY disturbing. Stick it to that dealer as much as you can; that kind of negligence is unacceptable. I've heard other horror stories and try to do all of my oil changes at home. Anyway, I hope you get this resolved as soon as possible, with as little inconvenience to you as possible.. although, I know being without my Z would be a huge one

In regard to your AC question, I have the same issue. Any time I turn the fan off completely then turn it past 'auto', the AC comes on. I can't really check and see if it's set to defrost as I'm out of the country at the moment, but I'll check when I return. It's been bothering me lately for sure.

-Mark (drinking a pint for you)
Old 03-16-2008, 07:54 AM
brad568

I just clipped this from the online owners manual. Hope this helps.

When the air flow control dial is turned to the
(defrost icon) position, the air conditioner
will automatically be turned on at outside
temperatures above 23°F (−5°C) to defog
the windshield, and the air recirculate mode
will automatically be turned off.
Outside air is drawn into the passenger
compartment to improve the defogging performance
Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 AM
FoxyRed

Originally Posted by brad568
I just clipped this from the online owners manual. Hope this helps.

When the air flow control dial is turned to the
(defrost icon) position, the air conditioner
will automatically be turned on at outside
temperatures above 23°F (−5°C) to defog
the windshield, and the air recirculate mode
will automatically be turned off.
Outside air is drawn into the passenger
compartment to improve the defogging performance
Only I don't have the defrost on.....but the up and low or auto or any setting. It doesn't matter what its on the a/c comes on ALL the time on every setting. I typically have it on the high and low air (arrow to your head and arrow to your feet).

Quick Reply: My 350Z Towed after first oil change