Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Check your Roadster top for pinholes

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 03:55 PM
zpylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got it back. They did not replace the top with the double stitched top. It's still the old single stitched top. Not sure if they addressed the issue of it pinching the top. If it happens again they will get it back.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:40 PM
350zRoadster04

That's odd. I can't imagine why they would give you the original version of the top. My understanding is that they stopped making that one since all of the new ZR's have the double-stitching.

Doesn't make sense, but like you said, they will get it back if it gets another hole.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:59 AM
jrofman

Went to the dealer today to check on the status of the top. They are replacing the fabric and the bars that are causing the problem, but not replacing the entire top with all the components. I hope I don't have to bring it back again.

Also I noticed that I have numerous eraser shaped holes in my top seen on the inside. They go through one layer but they are symmetric on both sides. Anyone else have this?

Originally posted by 350zRoadster04
That's odd. I can't imagine why they would give you the original version of the top. My understanding is that they stopped making that one since all of the new ZR's have the double-stitching.

Doesn't make sense, but like you said, they will get it back if it gets another hole.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:45 PM
350zRoadster04

Maybe Nissan has figured out a way to "repair" the top without replacing it. The replacement tops are expensive (approx. $4400). I imagine that they wouldn't do too many of these if they don't have to.

Originally posted by jrofman
Went to the dealer today to check on the status of the top. They are replacing the fabric and the bars that are causing the problem, but not replacing the entire top with all the components. I hope I don't have to bring it back again.

Also I noticed that I have numerous eraser shaped holes in my top seen on the inside. They go through one layer but they are symmetric on both sides. Anyone else have this?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:40 PM
agereg

Originally posted by 350zRoadster04
If the dealership is dragging their feet, try calling Nissan yourself. 1-800-NISSAN1 -- this seems to be a problem on most early ZR's and you may be able to get a faster response by speaking with them directly. They will give you a file # and will follow-up with you until the issue is successfully resolved.
Ha! I wish that were true. I got my ZR 8/5/03 and the top has had 2 inches of heat seal separation on both sides for over 2 months now. I have been fighting between dealerships and Nissan corp trying to get a new top before it leaks.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:42 AM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jrofman

yes i noticed those eraser head holes that dont go through. i am not sure if it was my imagination but sunlight seems to show through if it is hit directly. i have just had my top replaced, so i will just observe for now. it doesnt go through both layers and when i look outside it seems fine.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:45 PM
agereg

Here are the photos of my top. Well I finally beat the system. NNA is making the Tampa dealer ship the top to Thomasville so this whole mess should be over very soon!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Check your Roadster top for pinholes-dsc00633-1.jpg  
Old 01-15-2004, 01:31 PM
mrice
Banned

anyone know the build dates cut off for the new tops vs the old?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:51 PM
agereg

It was the first 200 made 6/03 to 8/03 I believe.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:10 PM
jminor

Default Roadster Top Serial Number

Originally posted by agereg
It was the first 200 made 6/03 to 8/03 I believe.
I have the old top and my serial number is 2106 made 7/03 if that helps.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:35 AM
mrice
Banned

Default Re: Roadster Top Serial Number

Originally posted by jminor
I have the old top and my serial number is 2106 made 7/03 if that helps.
thanks, my # is 2370 and I have the wear. Is yours showing wear yet?
Old 01-16-2004, 03:28 PM
jminor

Default Re: Re: Roadster Top Serial Number

Originally posted by mrice
thanks, my # is 2370 and I have the wear. Is yours showing wear yet?
mine is not showing any wear, dispite the fact I've looked really hard. I've driven 5500 miles in two months and put my car in storage the first week of Nov. I drove mostly with the top down and rarely put it up.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:14 PM
pisces9ca

Just had a call from the Service manager at Serramonte Nissan, the service rep checked out the top on Saturday, agreed that there was significant wear (the white under fabric is showing through the blue canvas) but never mentioned it again. So I emailed the Gen'l Manager and he passed me to the Ser manager and they are ordering a new top! Says there is a TSB about 2 wks old and the ser rep should have been aware of it. I also inquired on the OEM 18" wheels, was told there is no true paint color available but they are willing to have the body shop 'make' up some touch up paint for them. Now my only concern is the Bose system, couldn't find out if I have the 'BAD' or 'good' one,
Build date of 06/03.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:08 AM
drno

Red face

Originally posted by pisces9ca
Just had a call from the Service manager at Serramonte Nissan, the service rep checked out the top on Saturday, agreed that there was significant wear (the white under fabric is showing through the blue canvas) but never mentioned it again. So I emailed the Gen'l Manager and he passed me to the Ser manager and they are ordering a new top! Says there is a TSB about 2 wks old and the ser rep should have been aware of it. I also inquired on the OEM 18" wheels, was told there is no true paint color available but they are willing to have the body shop 'make' up some touch up paint for them. Now my only concern is the Bose system, couldn't find out if I have the 'BAD' or 'good' one,
Build date of 06/03.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:16 AM
drno

Noted multiple holes (1 all the way through). C alled nissan and they arranged appt with my dealer. It took 2 trips (1 to photograph the damage to send back to nissan in order to get the correct parts. Result--6 days later the entire top including the mech. is at the dealer and will be installed friday. I was expecting a long run around but nissan stepped up to the plate.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:52 PM
agereg

Great to hear that somebody is getting taken care of by Nissan. That sure hasn't been the case for me! This has been going on since October and still no new top even though they claim it's on its way!
Old 01-23-2004, 12:29 PM
drno

Wink

new top put on today in 4 hours. it is the new design.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:11 AM
sujo16

Drno...Can you post a pic?
Old 04-06-2004, 09:00 PM
gvoeller

I have a build date of 7/30 and 4000 miles. I now have the pin holes in my top and the dealer in Memphis is not helping at all. I need to know from anyone who has replaced the top, how you did so and is it good as new. Thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 09:11 PM
350zRoadster04

Call Nissan Corp. and let them know about the problem you're having. They will help. This is a common problem among ZR's built in June and July.

Originally posted by gvoeller
I have a build date of 7/30 and 4000 miles. I now have the pin holes in my top and the dealer in Memphis is not helping at all. I need to know from anyone who has replaced the top, how you did so and is it good as new. Thanks

Quick Reply: Check your Roadster top for pinholes