Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

OK to run same size tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:32 PM
jseabolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK to run same size tires?

This is sort of a follow up to an earlier question. I mentioned that the traction control light on my wife's 350Z would kick on at weird times. Like when hitting bumps on dry pavement.

This seemed to happen after taking the car in for service. The transmission was slipping at 90K miles thanks to the PO not ever having the transmission fluid changed. Among other problems like stalling and an oil pressure guage pegged out.

The other day I changed the oil and rotated the tires.

I noticed the tires were starting to wear so I went to Tire rack just to see how much a set of tires would run. To my surprise this car has 225s on the front and 235s on the rear. I thought only redneck's ran miss sized tires. Fats one on the rear and skinner ones on the fronts.

Well come to find out, I told the guy to rotate the tires. Not knowing this car ran fatter tires on the rears. So for awhile the 235s were on the front and 225s were on the rear. So would that screw things up? As far as the traction control is concerned?

Also all four tires had 30# of air pressure in them. I dug out the owner's manual and looked for a door sticker looking for Nissan's recommended air pressure but to no avail. So I looked on the internet and got mixed opinions. It seems the consensus is 33 PSI in all four tires. Is that correct?

Since most of these performance tires are directional, that means running different size tires they cannot be rotated. And even if you could find a non directional tire you still can't rotate them from side to size without a lift or two people using two floor jacks at the same time.

I can't find a proper lifting point on this car to raise the front end off the ground with a single floor jack. On the other hand if I bought these from Sears they could rotate them for me free of charge and change the oil while they are at it. I'm not a fan of doing an oil change on this car.

So is it were possible to use 225s on all four wheels? Would this mess with the traction control?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:21 PM
britalia

Oh lord, where to start........
Old 10-30-2009, 06:26 PM
El Dude

Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM
OMERTAITALIA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive ran the same size for 2 years on my stock touring 18's if that helps. never had problems with my vdc or anything
Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Rocknthehawk

Originally Posted by OMERTAITALIA
ive ran the same size for 2 years on my stock touring 18's if that helps. never had problems with my vdc or anything
Yeah when i bought my car, I wasn't aware it was supposed to have staggered tires. The dealer had installed 225/45/18s all around....ran it for about 6 months that way. Never really any vdc issues
Old 11-02-2009, 06:08 AM
goose30

One should never rotate radial tires from side to side. The tires rotate in different directions on each side of the car. putting the right tire on the left side and visa versa can cause the tire to fail. Also on the Z the fatter tires come on the back from the factory. Short story you have a Z don't rotate tires.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 AM
ms350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goose30
...Short story you have a Z don't rotate tires.
That sums it up! I'm wondering how they managed to rotate the back tires to the front (unless they removed the tires from the wheels and remounted)... IIRC there is an indentation on the wheels that prevents rotating the wheels in this manner. Wider tires on the rear has nothing to do with being a redneck, I had an MR2 Turbo previously and it came from the factory with wider tires on the rear as well. The point is just to produce a desired handling/traction effect. If you are running drag slicks on the rear with skinnies on the front while driving on the street in your IROC camaro... that is redneck.