Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

New (2me) roadster problem Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:03 PM
qik311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (2me) roadster problem Please help...

I am not sure what this part is called, but it is the support rod in the middle of the picture. I notices that the metal was unfolding and causing the top not to sit right and pull the stitching from the cloth that rests in that location. I was wondering if you can just replace this part and is so where can I find it?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The support rod you’re referring to is called the Second Bow, there is a 6 inch wide strip of fabric that wraps around this Bow on the inside of the roof and connects to the third Bow. This is bonded to the top fabric in three places, above each Bow and a 8mm wide strip half way between the Bows. If you look at the top (from the outside) you will see the faint outlines of the three bonding lines. The white area in your photo is some of this bonding being pulled away.

If you look on the edges of your photos you will note a series of metal joints and pivots that link all the folding parts and bows together. These joints need periodic lubrication or they can become stiff and cranky. When the top is raised and latched in position the abovementioned bonded fabric reinforcement helps to deploy the proper tension between the second and third bows to give the correct shape to the roof when it is up.

It is possible that something is causing the joints and pivots in this area to bind when the top is being raised. This will cause a lot of strain on the fabric bonding points as it tries to pull the two bows into position.

Find an auto upholstery shop that specializes in convertible tops. They will be able to lube all the metal top parts and reattach the bonding on your top.

My dad, used self-adhesive sailboat sail repair patches and tape to do a lot of this kind of work. The sail patch tape is very thin and pliable and incredible strong. My little MG top was completely held together with it, but from the outside it looked normal and un-repaired.