Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Gray top

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:42 PM
2fastnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gray top

Heres my question, I have a black Z and I clean and protect the top with convertable top clean and protective stuff. At night under a street light or moon light it looks GRAY. Is there anything I can use to make it BLACKER? Or is that just how it is?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

There are any number of black dyes and treatments for black colored convertible tops. The factory Z top has a vinyl outer surface, so be sure to only use products made exclusively for vinyl. Products with essential oils, emollients, etc can make the top look very streaky at the fold points. The water-based dyes are easer to use and if you buff the top with a towel just as the product dries, it won’t come out blotchy, and will have a nice even sheen.

Forever Black blacktop, is an ok product and is available on-line from places like Autogeek.net. However, be aware that this type of treatment is habit forming for your top. As it wears off, the top will look somewhat patchy so you will have to reapply on a regular basics.

If there is an auto trim and upholstery shop nearby that specializes in convert tops, they can easily treat your top.

My top is over 7 years old, and even though I color my hair, I haven’t felt the need to touch up the gray highlights on my Z yet. Maybe this summer.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Blu Hvn

Not trying to be a smarta** here but what does it look like in the daytime? Artificial light like from street lights will affect/distort the color. Re. moonlight I can't imagine it's bright enough to give you give you an accurate "reading".
Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
2fastnc

Originally Posted by Blu Hvn
Not trying to be a smarta** here but what does it look like in the daytime? Artificial light like from street lights will affect/distort the color. Re. moonlight I can't imagine it's bright enough to give you give you an accurate "reading".
NO worries, Its black and it looks clean. But, like when I came out from the mall the other night and it was like grey-ish....I noticed it one other time. Thought it was just the lighting. JUst seems to be at night the black-ness isnt there. I guess it really shows up against the black car.....thought my top was wore....

Didnt know if anyone else has this happen to them.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Blooster

I've noticed that too. Must be the way that type of material reflects light. Black fabric tops look black at night.

Don't know if it's possible to treat the synthetic top fabric to change that.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Highmiles43

My top looks gray all the time.
Probably because it is gray.