Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Best top manufacturer for cloth top

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 AM
timfacchin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wildebird
Im up in Atlanta at Flightsafety right now but when I get back home Ill get them off my IPAD and send you a zip file. I wouldn't be hesitant to do the top if you have some mechanical skills. Its really not that bad. Just take your time and plan for 2 days.
Thanks a lot, man. That's awesome. I still haven't decided if I'm going to try it myself or have it done but I'm sure your pics will help me decide.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:42 PM
IUbest

New member here: My 350Z convertible top doesn't work. I suspect motor problems and have a broken rivet in my top frame (frame may be bent). What are my options? Do I buy new or a used convertible top (Robbins 2150)/motor/computer/frame? What would you experienced guys do? I'm not mechanical. I've learned alot from your posts already! Thx.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:26 AM
juanl1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IUbest
New member here: My 350Z convertible top doesn't work. I suspect motor problems and have a broken rivet in my top frame (frame may be bent). What are my options? Do I buy new or a used convertible top (Robbins 2150)/motor/computer/frame? What would you experienced guys do? I'm not mechanical. I've learned alot from your posts already! Thx.
I recommended against a used top just because even if you could find any they're most likely from a wreck or salvage yard. Who knows what stresses it was placed under and the original tops are notorious for ripping on the sides of the back window. If you have a bent frame then you're issues are a bent frame first, then a convertible top. Any money you spend on new or used won't matter if the frame and motors are messed up. Install isn't bad, there is a DIY guide at the top. Read it, then read it again and then read it a couple more times. People start without reading the guide and think I'll learn along the way. I did it, personally I don't think it was difficult and pretty straight forward. Just make sure it makes sense to you before you attempt it.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM
wildebird

Not that I'm an expert, but I totally agree with what Juan1999 said. Fix what's broken then worry about the top. To be honest I skimmed the top install then did it. It really wasn't bad at all. I'm very pleased with the Robbins top for fit and Finnish.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Joe Cool

Originally Posted by wildebird
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND TO ROBINS CLOTH TOP 2150.
wildebird - Thanks for the info. I have several no0b Qs, if you don't mind.

Is this the top you're referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-09-NISS...ht_1446wt_1105

Where did you see the ez-on haartz - or any other tops, for that matter?

I went to the Haartz website, but they only show 2008 & 2009 350Zs, no older ones. Under "find your car," they said the "Twill ERB S/T" was the only one available. Check it out:

http://www.haartz.com/fmt/Default.aspx

Apologies for the dumb questions, but before I dropped hundreds, I want to do my research!

Thanks again
Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 PM
wildebird

Yes, that's the same company I ordered from. They quoted me 14 days but it was here in 5 days. I decided to go with Robbings because our local installer said that's what they used. There have been several people on the board who have used the EZ-ON brand. The Robbins is a Hartz cloth top.

Last edited by wildebird; 06-26-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 PM
oyealiz

Hi, I'm going to order a new top and would like to see your pix of the removal and install, please!

My sweetie just put a new top on his 73 vette, with some help from a friend to stretch and such, and he's planning to put mine on the z.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
oyealiz

Ordered! Woohooo!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:53 AM
juanl1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oyealiz
Hi, I'm going to order a new top and would like to see your pix of the removal and install, please!

My sweetie just put a new top on his 73 vette, with some help from a friend to stretch and such, and he's planning to put mine on the z.
Look at the DIY guide on this forum. Pictures of removal and install is not an easy 10 to 12 pictures to post. The guy who did the DIY already went through the trouble, I suggest you check it out. He has several pictures. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Gunsmoke

Default Top Install

Just an FYI, I put 2 Ez-on tops on mine. The first one developed a single stitch coming loose and the lamination on the underside came loose. This was 8 months after it was put on. I was just being picky and I e-mailed the seller, with pics and receipt. Within 2 weeks I had a new top. Within another week after i sent the old one back (EZ-ON sent me a label) I had a check for 485.00 for installation. I only paid 550.00 for the top shipped.

The installation isn't too bad, I did it myself with no convertible experience. It isn't easy, but it isn't impossible. Time consuming and best done in a garage where when you get tired you stop, come back refreshed and work some more.

I was pleased with the fit, function and appearance of the top, very close to OEM. Material seems to be the same rear window is same but cleaner looking than factory where its attached to the top.

As far as the leak at the cowl cover, that bow can be adjusted by loosening the 2 12mm bolts on each side of it and sliding it while the top is partially up. the holes are elongated to allow for some adjustment if needed.

I would buy one again, customer service was beyond top notch.

Again this is just my .02 from my experience.

There are many brands and styles to choose from, I did like the Hartz cloth but it was more than I wanted to put into it and I was wanting the closest to OEM without the OEM price.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 PM
bigbirdmodeZ

Just bought a Robbins 2150 Black cloth. Cant wait to install it, Did you just follow the removal/install guides on here? I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Did a full off frame restoration and convertible top install for a CJ7 when I was 16 yrs old. What kind of rivets did you get from the hardware store?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Gunsmoke

Actually I did follow them, it was simple, The second top, I never referenced them at all. It is good to have a friend there to help lift the old one off, I did it myself but it would be easier with someone there.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM
bigbirdmodeZ

Originally Posted by Gunsmoke
Actually I did follow them, it was simple, The second top, I never referenced them at all. It is good to have a friend there to help lift the old one off, I did it myself but it would be easier with someone there.
okay good to know. Cant wait to install it, its been tearing for the last 8 months by the windows and I can finally justify getting a new one. Will let everyone know how it goes.

BG
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone post pictures from inside?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
bigbirdmodeZ

I'm about to start replacing the top. What 'inside' pictures? The DIY pdf has tons of pictures. Wish me luck.

Originally Posted by yogipower
Can anyone post pictures from inside?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 AM
yogipower

Originally Posted by bigbirdmodeZ
I'm about to start replacing the top. What 'inside' pictures? The DIY pdf has tons of pictures. Wish me luck.
i just wanna see how it look from the inside, like same as oem from top and side. i really need to order one for myself and do it too but i dont know which one and where to get one haha.

Good luck with your new TOP!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 AM
bigbirdmodeZ

Originally Posted by yogipower
i just wanna see how it look from the inside, like same as oem from top and side. i really need to order one for myself and do it too but i dont know which one and where to get one haha.

Good luck with your new TOP!
Thanks

Yogi, it looks exactly the same. They eliminated the sticking surrounding the window but its identical inside.

Its pouring rain today. Washed the Z yesterday after the install. Held great through a wash. Today will be another good test.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 AM
yogipower

Originally Posted by bigbirdmodeZ
Thanks

Yogi, it looks exactly the same. They eliminated the sticking surrounding the window but its identical inside.

Its pouring rain today. Washed the Z yesterday after the install. Held great through a wash. Today will be another good test.
which one did you get? and how much did you pay if you dont mid me asking
Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 PM
bigbirdmodeZ

Robbins 2150 Black Cloth, 689$ shipped Ebay.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 PM
yogipower

i wish i can see robbins in person before i do anything... i saw one from GAHH and they were GREAT, but its like 50/50 because their shapes are little bit different than otheres.

Quick Reply: Best top manufacturer for cloth top