Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Tears in Top/Returning Lease

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tears in Top/Returning Lease

My lease on my 07 is due and I have two slits on the top. One on each side in the exact same spot. The inspection guy called Nissan and tried to see if there was any way around but Nissan looks to require me to replace the top at $5,000. Obviously I think this is BS as the slits are in the exact spot on both sides of the car.

Has anybody else had this issue?

How should I proceed with Nissan on the issue?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Overlord#1

Measured the slits, both are happening in the exact pot on both sides. I will be raging if this becomes my issue.

May start with a call into Nissan.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 AM
BipJip

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have 2 small tares in my top also, right at the first bow closest to the front. i have a warrenty but they claim it has to leak before they will replace my top. "so the waiting game begins" peter griffen.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

When the Z top is folded, the fabric on ether side of the rigid rear glass window is stretched and stressed. As the top ages and UV rays dry it out, tears may develop in the spots you have described. Convertible tops on almost every make and model of car have some particular stress point where they eventually wear or tear.

If the bumper-to-bumper portion of the warranty hasn’t yet expired, they should cover this repair.

Just like worn or torn upholstery or damaged paintwork, you are responsible for repairs on a lease return car. An exact duplicate vinyl top is available for four or five hundred dollars and installation is about the same price.

If Nissan won’t cover this under warranty, get it repaired before you turn the car in. The price they are quoting is outrageous, as the dealer will be sending the repair out to an upholstery shop anyways.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Convertible tops are usually considered to be "wear items". Since the bumper to bumper has expired, I suspect this is going to be your problem. Like Jennifer suggested, get it replaced at an upholstery shop and you will probably save a lot of money.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Blooster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also - this is not an uncommon problem. Those types of tears have shown up on multiple cars. I have definitely seen threads here about this but you will have to search old posts in this roadster forum ...

Last edited by Blooster; 04-16-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Overlord#1

Taking it to my dealer tomorrow to look at. If they determine its a Nissan issue they will cover it.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Overlord#1

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Convertible tops are usually considered to be "wear items". Since the bumper to bumper has expired, I suspect this is going to be your problem. Like Jennifer suggested, get it replaced at an upholstery shop and you will probably save a lot of money.
I agree. According to the lease though I am only responsible for "excessive" wear, if this is common, or is happening because of a design flaw not my neglect, I do not see how I should have to pay for this.

Well I will see what my dealer says, although I have a feeling I do know.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

For a lot of people leasing is an excellent way to have a car. However there can be some unexpected costs. The sport and/or luxury seats options in a Porsche 911 are fantastic with super support. Hosting my dainty derriere will cause these seats no wear at all. But for your more hefty gentleman, sliding in and out of the car routinely causes the left side bolster to crack and become quite shabby.

It’s been reported that even men of vast wealth have broken down and sobbed when told the repair bill for an excessively worn Porsche seat.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Overlord#1

The other nice part of a lease is you have the option to buy at the end AFTER experiencing the quality of the car. Seeing how this **** poor design of the tops frame is tearing a hole in the canvas I would not buy it. I mean fck that means replacing the roof every 5 years? Thats insane. Nissan needs to man up, admit its a design issue, and fix the fcking thing themselves.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM
juanl1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Overlord#1
I agree. According to the lease though I am only responsible for "excessive" wear, if this is common, or is happening because of a design flaw not my neglect, I do not see how I should have to pay for this.

Well I will see what my dealer says, although I have a feeling I do know.
I have had the exact tear on both sides. I would print out as many entries from this site and the other 350Z site and prensent it to them, that it isn't just you but a bunch of people with this issue. They always claim they don't know about the problem. Also if you can go to a repair shop and see if they can't give you something in writting saying the cause is the two metal bars rubbing against the top. My two cents. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Overlord#1

Well its on me. Have ordered a new top and having it put on in a week. $1200.

I called insurance but I am not the type who can lie and pretend something happened. I asked them if a manufacturing flaw was covered and it was not. So I am not going to lie just to have them replace it.

I am footing the bill, but have contacted Nissan, not that they give a $hit, and informed them that I will never buy or lease another Nissan.

So here is a big fck you to Nissan.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:26 PM
hyuk28719

thats disgusting act by Nissan but you know a lot of automobile business is like that. Yeah I like the Z, but not the ones who are over there
Old 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Overlord#1

All I can do is fix it and move on.

New Acura TL here I come!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 AM
Blooster

Your loss.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
SHILOW

I would have attempted a temporary fix. Something that may have been overlooked during inspection. Nissan knows that all 350ZR tops tear in the same spots next to the window.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

old man car, good for you.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Overlord#1

Originally Posted by Blooster
Your loss.
Originally Posted by Nexx
old man car, good for you.
Damn right. Now that I have been promoted to a Principal this is my company car. I will have no car payments, don't have to pay for gas, don't have to pay for insurance.

Lets see that nets me a monthly savings of about $950.

Ummm yeah, old man car it is!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM
SHILOW

Daaaamn man, you pay $950 a month? Hell naw. for a Nissan? Does that include mods, gas, and speeding tickets?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Overlord#1

Originally Posted by SHILOW
Daaaamn man, you pay $950 a month? Hell naw. for a Nissan? Does that include mods, gas, and speeding tickets?
$170/month for insurance (thats two cars Z and TL the old TL I am trading in), $560 for the lease payment, $200ish for gas.

Quick Reply: Tears in Top/Returning Lease