350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

4th Bow? Gear Stripped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 AM
Merc_Lab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Bow? Gear Stripped?

Hi Guys

I've been reading the forum for the last couple of days non stop and I have yet to come across the issue that I am experiencing.

Please excuse me for not introducing myself and jumping straight to a post asking for some help.

I am currently in process of purchasing a '07 350z Roadster (HR), the problem comes in with the roof.

The dealer took the car for its road worthy test and the AA came back and declined it due to the roof not working as intended.

The fault comes in with the "fourth Bow"?? Gear? I asked the dealer for a pic, please see attached.

Has anyone ever come across this issue, from what I could find on the forum, this might be the first.

I have spoken to a couple of "stealerships" and they all just want to sell me a new roof and are clearly not interested in selling me a part to fix it.

From the attached pics you can barely make out what I am talking about, please see the attached Photo and check the one where you can see the blue connectors. Just below them there are these gears that seem to operate the roof...What are they called? Can someone tell me if you can get a part for replacement?

If I cannot get this roof repaired I wont be able to get the car so I am trying my best.

PLEASE HELP
Attached Thumbnails 4th Bow? Gear Stripped?-photo2.jpg   4th Bow? Gear Stripped?-photo.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Merc_Lab

Any Ideas folks?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Merc_Lab

Continuing my monologue I have found the code for the item in question...

Part Number 97294-CE40A (DEVICE-STORAGE)

Has anyone ever had any issues with this part where the teeth on the gear has been broken off?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM
juanl1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet is to look for another Z. Don't take your time trying to repair a really good deal. In the end it will come out as expensive. As to how common your problem is, it's not too common but I have heard of it. Usually after a car accident. So just buyer beware. Good luck man.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Merc_Lab

Thanks juanl1999...the rest of the car is in great shape and it would seem that the previous owner tried to close the roof by force and this resulted in breaking the gears.

I would love to simply walk on over to the next motor dealership and rather get a different one, problem is in South Africa there is currently only 24 available, 3 are roadster 1 is an HR...its this one...
Old 08-01-2012, 05:29 AM
juanl1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see your dilema now. Hope you can figure it out. Good luck