Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Attempting to go back to OEM shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 AM
chuckcz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempting to go back to OEM shifter

I have a 2004 Touring Roadster, I installed a short throw shifter but after 3 months the somewhat annoying rattle has grown to the point I want to go back to the OEM shifter. It sounds simple enough, the install went fine (this is a new shifter and not the unit that came out of the car), all 6 forward gears are fine but I cannot push the shifter down so the transmission will not go into reverse.
The issue seems to be the control lever housing cup is ~30mm deep and the cup for the shifter is ~28mm deep so when the locking plate is torqued into place there is not enough downward clearance to allow me to pickup reverse.

I mail ordered the parts, I have verified the part number on the package as the correct part number and the delrin cup the shifter nests in matches the height of the cup for the short shifter (oem Nissan part).

Clearly I am missing something- seems easy enough a caveman could do it... guess I am not a cave man.

Anyone had the same issue or have ideas on what is going on?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:28 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but try loosening all the bolts, slap the shifter around a bit, and then re-tighten them all evenly a bit at a time. Might just be a slight misalignment issue.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:50 PM
chuckcz

The end, talked with a second guy at the dealership- they had the wrong part listed. It seems for the first two build months of the 2004 Nissan was still using the 2003 style shifter
Old 08-15-2017, 03:14 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Interesting . . . and I'm glad you got it figured out. If you ever want another short shifter, and can find one, the Nismo adjustable short shifter is very nice. I've had mine for maybe 7 years, and have had no issues with it.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:08 PM
chuckcz

Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind!