Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Gauge Cluster Malfunction SOLVED!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 03:59 PM
SeanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gauge Cluster Malfunction SOLVED!!

I initially took my Roadster in to the Dealer because my RPM needle keep getting stuck on random RPM's. They replaced the entire gauge cluster. The needle continued to get stuck, but only on my way home from work. Today my Speedometer keep getting stuck on random speeds.

I was sitting at a stop light, the speedo stuck at 25MPH. The sun was shining on the center of the needle, the second I put my hand in front of the gauge to shade it from the sun, the damn thing dropped to 0. I played with it all the way home. I also noticed that the RPM was working fine. I noticed that the top of the steering wheel was shading the needle from the sun.

Would it be a stretch to say that the sun would be heating up the center of the needle and expanding the spring inside and causing it to freeze up?

This is most likely only a Roadster issue, but I think I've got it figured out.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Would it be a stretch to say that the sun would be heating up the center of the needle and expanding the spring inside and causing it to freeze up?
Yes.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:30 AM
MacGyver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It as more than likely coincidence....the temp on the needle would not have dropped appreciably the moment you put your hand in front of it. The fact that the needle dropped as soon as your hand shaded it says it was luck, not heat.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:18 PM
SeanG

But. it did it all the way home (10 miles). Now unless there is a lazer beam between the steering wheel and the inside of the gauge cluster, then why would it continually work when shaded and stop working when the sun is hitting it for less than a minute.

This happened all the way home....not just one time. I was also going 35 MPH (digital) and the gauge said 10MPH, when I shaded the gauge it instantly rose to the 35MPH. It was stuck on 10MPH for 5 minutes not 5 seconds, so I know there is something to it. NOT JUST MY IMAGINATION!!!

Coincidence is once maybe twice but over 7 times...no there is no coincidence.

Last edited by SeanG; 06-02-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:22 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, put down the pipe. We can get through this together....

j/k Despite what it looks like it has to be a coincidence...
Old 06-02-2004, 01:29 PM
SeanG

Originally posted by teh215
Dude, put down the pipe. We can get through this together....

j/k Despite what it looks like it has to be a coincidence...
That was uncalled for.

If you don't have something constructive to say...DON'T!!
Old 06-02-2004, 01:32 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SeanG
That was uncalled for.

If you don't have something constructive to say...DON'T!!
Dang, it was a joke. Some people are just too touchy
Old 06-02-2004, 01:46 PM
SeanG

Originally posted by teh215
Dang, it was a joke. Some people are just too touchy
It's all good!!

It just doesn't feel real good when everybody thinks your imagining things. When you think in your own mind that your on to something. I know there were a couple of guys who also had the same issue with the RPM gauge, the dealer can't seem to find the problem, so I'll live with my own explanation of the cause.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:16 PM
SeanG

I talked to our Master Electrician at my work about the issue. He said it is not a spring or wire gauge, because it would not cool down that fast.

He said that all the newer gauges use a photo eye located right behind the needle, which tells the needle where it need to be. He believes since the issue only happens with the top down, the sun is shining in just right creating a reflection on the photo eye causing a mis-reading.

Last edited by SeanG; 06-02-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:18 PM
milanista

Maybe the problem has to do with a heat-related failure with an electronic component located in the instrument cluster, and when you allow the cluster to cool down by shading it with your hand, the problem goes away. That's a better theory, anyway, and the spring expansion theory you proposed.....

Did Nissan replace the instrument cluster/speedometer already?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:27 PM
SeanG

Originally posted by milanista
Maybe the problem has to do with a heat-related failure with an electronic component located in the instrument cluster, and when you allow the cluster to cool down by shading it with your hand, the problem goes away. That's a better theory, anyway, and the spring expansion theory you proposed.....

Did Nissan replace the instrument cluster/speedometer already?
They replaced the gauge cluster as well as the whole wiring harness.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

He said that all the newer gauges use a photo eye located right behind the needle, which tells the needle where it need to be. He believes since the issue only happens with the top down, the sun is shining in just right creating a reflection on the photo eye causing a mis-reading.
Then why would replacing the gauge cluster solve the problem? If this was truly the case, then EVERY roadster with it's top down would have this problem, even after they put in the new one.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:37 PM
SeanG

It did the same thing on the way home today too. Same thing, shade needle works, sun needle freezes in place, and does not work.

I like the photo eye theory better than my previous theory.

Either way, whether light or heat, the issue is clearly not the gauge cluster, and is not coincidence.

I'm feeling better all ready!

So I guess the bottom line is...if others experience the same issue, try shading the needle from direct sunlight before taking to the dealer for a malfunctioning gauge.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:45 PM
SeanG

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Then why would replacing the gauge cluster solve the problem? If this was truly the case, then EVERY roadster with it's top down would have this problem, even after they put in the new one.
Even after replacing everything the problem would still occur. But only on my way home from work at 5:00pm. I drive east and the setting sun is in the west always beating directly on my gauges.

I even told the dealer that it only happened on my way home from work. They replaced everything and the issue still is occuring.

I also believe alot of people never even look at the speedo, they look at the digital display. First it was the RPM now it is the Speedo. I did re-adjust the steering wheel position a couple weeks ago. Now the RPM needle is shaded by the top of the steering wheel, and is working perfectly. Now the speedo is exposed to the sun, now the speedo is having an issue.

There were also others that had posted a while back that they too were having sporatic gauge issues.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Richardew

I'm going to start paying attention to the gauges. I always use the digital speedo. I don't have to take my eyes off of the road to see it. I've never seen any malfunction with the tach needle. I have put a ton of miles on my roadster (9500, delivered 2/04) and most have been with the top down. If it's a light thing I should be able to pick it up sometime, somewhere.
rich
Old 06-14-2004, 10:49 AM
fillup

I have the same problem with my Tach needle sticking and bouncing. I noticed this only happens with the top down and the sun shining from the rear of the car. I agree this is probably heat related. I wonder if there is some type of washer between the needle and the mechanical component the could be expanding just enough to create friction. I have noticed as soon as I put my top up it goes away (within minutes).
Old 06-17-2004, 06:54 PM
SeanG

I don't know if it is light or heat, but heat was my first thought as well. Funny thing is Nissan probably has no clue that this could happen. They are still replacing gauges at $900.00 a pop.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 AM
wrmx6

I am having the exact same issue with my 2004 350

anyone know what caused this for the OP??
Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 PM
zcolby

As someone already stated, the tach and speedo receive their signal via some sort of optical sensor. In a roadster, with the sun shining on the gauges from behind, it can cause the needle to freeze. Test this theory by shielding the gauge from the sun for a few seconds - I bet the needle will jump (or drop) to the correct reading. This happened to me when I was driving my '07 roadster home from the dealership for the first time. Just about had a heart attack...
Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zcolby
As someone already stated, the tach and speedo receive their signal via some sort of optical sensor. In a roadster, with the sun shining on the gauges from behind, it can cause the needle to freeze. Test this theory by shielding the gauge from the sun for a few seconds - I bet the needle will jump (or drop) to the correct reading. This happened to me when I was driving my '07 roadster home from the dealership for the first time. Just about had a heart attack...
^
THIS

Never had it happen to me but this has been documented several times.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Malfunction SOLVED!!