350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

motor trend roadster comparo

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:33 PM
elyliu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: motor trend roadster comparo

Originally posted by syf0n
You are on CRACK to insinuate that the Boxster S has a harsh ride compared to the Z.
Maybe because I have a 04.5 Roadster? The combination of having the euro suspension and no roof contributing to the softer ride?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:00 PM
syf0n

I have ridden and driven in several 04.5 Zs as well as the ZR. The Boxster S is still king in the suspension & handling department.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:50 AM
MRfire

I have ridden and driven in several 04.5 Zs as well as the ZR. The Boxster S is still king in the suspension & handling department.
Well why don't you go run out and buy one then "resident genious". Personally, I think the Boxster is the "poor man's porsche" - or good for chics.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:49 AM
syf0n

Originally posted by MRfire
Well why don't you go run out and buy one then "resident genious". Personally, I think the Boxster is the "poor man's porsche" - or good for chics.
Because I don't like them, "resident troll"!

Also -- nice attempt at pissing me off, but I never said the Boxster S was the only Porsche I had, and for the record it is optioned out past the price of a C2. It is definitely not a "poor man's Porsche". I greatly prefer the handling for any sort of road use or autocross to a 911.

Fortunately for me, what you "think" has little bearing on how things really work. Enjoy wallowing in your own ignorance, pal!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:14 AM
MRfire

Because I don't like them, "resident troll"!

Also -- nice attempt at pissing me off, but I never said the Boxster S was the only Porsche I had, and for the record it is optioned out past the price of a C2. It is definitely not a "poor man's Porsche". I greatly prefer the handling for any sort of road use or autocross to a 911.

Fortunately for me, what you "think" has little bearing on how things really work. Enjoy wallowing in your own ignorance, pal!
Better watch it buddy, I got connections....
Attached Thumbnails motor trend roadster comparo-iceyhot1.jpg  
Old 07-07-2004, 05:09 PM
earlfargis

Default Re: motor trend roadster comparo

I never was much for the my car's better than your car stuff. Magazine reviews and stats are bragging rights.

All are fine cars but, personally, the Z is the only car in the bunch that gets me excited. OTOH, my best friend is trying to talk me into a TT because he's been hot to buy one for 2 years.

What surprises me most about the review is that the big-three mainstream enthusiast rags (R&T, MT, C&D) usually are heavily biased towards schmoozing over the newest model. Like they were drool'n all over the Z coupe then the RX8 comes out and they gush over it. I guarantee the RX8 luv affair will end quickly after the 'Stang comes out in the fall. And so it goes....

For my money -- which is what counts -- I'm not tempted to cough up the extra bucks for the others. The Z has the freshest design, IMHO. The TT's cramped interior is too German industrial and its performance is reported to be ho-hum. A guy at works owns the Beemer. He loves it, naturally, but I find its German counterpart, the Porche, to the the better looker -- on the outside. The Boxster's interior is all too '80s.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:45 PM
syf0n

Porsche interiors are all the same. Saying a Boxster interior is too 1980's is saying that a 911 interior is too 1980's -- and this is incorrect, because the 911 had a completely different interior in the 1980's then it does now. I have a 1980's Porsche sitting in the garage as well (1986 930 widebody), I'd be more than happy to take some photos for a comparison.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:23 PM
earlfargis

Porsche interiors are all the same. Saying a Boxster interior is too 1980's is saying that a 911 interior is too 1980's -- and this is incorrect, because the 911 had a completely different interior in the 1980's then it does now. I have a 1980's Porsche sitting in the garage as well (1986 930 widebody), I'd be more than happy to take some photos for a comparison.
I was thumbing through the car rags at the bookstore and I'm pretty sure I read the article in question. It had a photo of the Boxster's interior. My impression at the time was the interior looked very, very dated. Whether or not the interior was designed in the '80s or not, the dash didn't look clean and modern at all even compared to much cheaper cars like the Z, RX8, or even the Pontiac GTO.

Realize, everyone has their own personal tastes. The Boxster's just doesn't impress me. I have no qualms with the exterior; it has classic lines. Just don't like the interior. From what you're saying, I probably wouldn't like a 911's interior either. Fine. No offense but here's my salute to Porshe interiors!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:32 PM
syf0n

Have you ever driven a Boxster S or 911?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:40 PM
elyliu

some of the pics of the new porsches coming out seem to improve on the interior.... maybe they learned a thing or two from the vw/audi collaboration on the SUV
Old 07-07-2004, 09:44 PM
mb034729

on the subject of this article i must say I was PISSED when i read it. I was reading it on the beach on 4th of july and I blusted out "WTF!!!!" when I read what it had to say.... it was kinda funny though when I saw people turn when I did that
This acticle was a huge crock of crap!!!! even with the 3500lbs the ZR was still only second fastest to a car that costs 25K more.
about the comment on the 18 inch wheel harshness if it had them...that was B.S too because all 3 of the other cars had 18"s and there was no comments made about those. Finally the comment about the rear end... WAKE UP M/T and look at the rear of the TT and Z4 they look like BUTT!!!!
As far as the Boxter S I feel that it is an amazing car very beautiful and eye catching, great performance, and superb handeling, but here are my problems with it. they've been around for quite a few years without much change to the look so IMO it's not that it won't catch your eye but it doesnt really draw my attention like the ZR... and it could be just the newness of it i dunno. The interior ZR interior I think looks better than that of the Boxter, but the boxter has it beat in quality.

Bottom line the boxter S is a phat car if you wanna spend 59K on it ... But realistically if you were to spend lets say like 45K for the ZR to be tricked out with new rims and tires, new suspension, and forced induction of some kind, the guess what you have more than evened the playing field over a stock S and you'd still have over 10K in your pocket... to me the Porche Badge isnt worth the extra cake sorry
Old 07-07-2004, 10:01 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of those four convertibles, I would have to say the Boxster styling does not appeal to me. At least the TT, Z4, and ZR have unique and aggressive accents to it.

First time I saw a boxster on the road I was like "hmm..which end is the front of the car??"

Not to mention the many times I see one afar bounded in oncoming traffic it's like, "Oh wow...look it's a porsche coming...oh crap it's only a boxster". That cursed rear end!

I agree the 350ZR is a little bulbous and clumsy looking in the back...nothing an oem spoiler can't break. Anyhow...just my own little subjective take on the exterior designs of these verts. Don't anyone get themselves in a wrought.

Last edited by 35oZephyR; 07-07-2004 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:36 PM
myinfinitig20

You know what.....all Motortrend has to ask themself is....60k=13.8?

my stock auto z keeps up or beats the boxter s. I personally would never buy a boxter but i understand those that do. My perfect car would be the Z powerplant, the TT tranny in the boxter s body. **** that bmw. I hate that toy of a car.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:46 AM
syf0n

Take a look at the Ruf 3400 S, a slightly modified Boxster by the aftermarket company Ruf. Beautiful car, redesigned rear end (exhaust). It is hailed by most reviewers as having all of the good qualities that the 911 has lost through years of increasing safety regulations, etc. Much more tossable.

Basically imagine an N/A Boxster with 60 additional hp and a really nice exhaust system.

Edit: Here's a good article.

Also, a photo:

Last edited by syf0n; 07-08-2004 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:21 PM
elyliu

Originally posted by mb034729
on the subject of this article i must say I was PISSED when i read it. I was reading it on the beach on 4th of july and I blusted out "WTF!!!!" when I read what it had to say.... it was kinda funny though when I saw people turn when I did that
This acticle was a huge crock of crap!!!! even with the 3500lbs the ZR was still only second fastest to a car that costs 25K more.
about the comment on the 18 inch wheel harshness if it had them...that was B.S too because all 3 of the other cars had 18"s and there was no comments made about those. Finally the comment about the rear end... WAKE UP M/T and look at the rear of the TT and Z4 they look like BUTT!!!!
As far as the Boxter S I feel that it is an amazing car very beautiful and eye catching, great performance, and superb handeling, but here are my problems with it. they've been around for quite a few years without much change to the look so IMO it's not that it won't catch your eye but it doesnt really draw my attention like the ZR... and it could be just the newness of it i dunno. The interior ZR interior I think looks better than that of the Boxter, but the boxter has it beat in quality.

Bottom line the boxter S is a phat car if you wanna spend 59K on it ... But realistically if you were to spend lets say like 45K for the ZR to be tricked out with new rims and tires, new suspension, and forced induction of some kind, the guess what you have more than evened the playing field over a stock S and you'd still have over 10K in your pocket... to me the Porche Badge isnt worth the extra cake sorry
finally someone share the same sentiments!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 01:29 PM
elyliu

Take a look at the Ruf 3400 S, a slightly modified Boxster by the aftermarket company Ruf. Beautiful car, redesigned rear end (exhaust). It is hailed by most reviewers as having all of the good qualities that the 911 has lost through years of increasing safety regulations, etc. Much more tossable.

Basically imagine an N/A Boxster with 60 additional hp and a really nice exhaust system.

Edit: Here's a good article.

Also, a photo:

it beautiful, but how much did all the RUF mods cost?......
Old 07-08-2004, 01:31 PM
elyliu

Originally posted by myinfinitig20
You know what.....all Motortrend has to ask themself is....60k=13.8?

my stock auto z keeps up or beats the boxter s. I personally would never buy a boxter but i understand those that do. My perfect car would be the Z powerplant, the TT tranny in the boxter s body. **** that bmw. I hate that toy of a car.
on the subject of hybrid cars.... i would take Z's engine, TT's tranny, and boxster's chassis (and light weight-ness)......o, and a ferrari/maser interior

that would make a perfect car for me....
Old 07-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Speedracer

Default Opinions are like ********....everybody has one......

Originally posted by elyliu
Has anybody read the August Motor Trend?

Our Z got 4th place OUT OF 4 CARS!!!

1st Boxster S
2nd TT 3.2
3rd Z4 3.0
4th 350ZR Enthusiast

"Unfortunately, the 350Z's V-6 has 3517 pounds of roadster to haul around, nearly quarter ton more mass than the Boxster or Z4 have to deal with. With its sedan genes showing, the 350Z is the second heavist car in the group...."

What about the TT?!?! it's the heavist of the group and it got SECOND.

"Optional 18-in are available, but impart more ride harshness"

Not really! Idiot journalist. They should try it before they comment. Even with the 18in wheels, it's still EASILY softer than the boxster S.

"less-than premium materials and distinct lack for forward stowage space dampened enthusiasm...these was a distinct lack for surprise and delight features as well..."

what are they comparing?!?!? luxury cars?!?!? Not to mention, they picked the top models for all the other cars (TT 3.2, Z4 3.0, Boxster S), the least they could have done is picked up the Touring Z with all the options. In the comparo the price difference between the Z and the Boxster was $25k! You think they can spare $6k to get a loaded touring model! ARG, the injustice.

"Sports cars are supposed to stir passion but the words "clumsy" and "cluttered" kept popping up"

350z doesnt stire passion?!?!?! Obviously he hasn't met any Z owners.

"The 350Z Roadster's bloblike rear end looks out of place and decidedly nonsporty, especially when the Z-car is parked next to the roadsters in this test."

NONSPORTY?!?!?! Compared to the TT and Boxster?!?!? Boxster is like a 1997s design. TT looks FAT. and Z4 just looks weird. How can 350Z be NOT SPORTY.

I think I'll write a letter to Motor Trend about this idiot.

Plus how can he place the 2 newest models in the LAST 2 PLACES?!?!

Sorry guys, I just needed to vent after reading that article.
I have driven every one of these cars. The Z roadster is the best. Car and Driver agrees. In their comparo, ZR finished second to the Honda S2000, and ahead of the Z4, Boxster and TT. I bought the ZR instead of th S2000 because I wanted more torque and more of a "real car". In terms of looks.....I guarantee, my ZR gets more looks, stares, thumbs-up, smiles, etc than any of those other vehicles. MT can kiss my ZR's fat, sexy, JLo butt!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 02:50 PM
35oZephyR

Take a look at the Ruf 3400 S, a slightly modified Boxster by the aftermarket company Ruf. Beautiful car redesigned rear end (exhaust). It is hailed by most reviewers as having all of the good qualities that the 911 has lost through years of increasing safety regulations, etc. Much more tossable.

Also, a photo:

That is a pretty nice lookin Boxster. I've seen many in the tuner world that are modified to look more beefy and aggressive. I remember seeing one that had the rear end switched up to look almost like it's new GT Carrera brethren.

This rear end: Arghh!

Still urks me!

At least it still retains the classic roadster porsche look.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:59 PM
pisces9ca

I looked at all these cars before buying my ZR. The TT isn't in the league preformance wise(as tested $ 47.4), the Z4 is closer but costs $47.7 and isn't a head turned due to the number of Z3's still around, too similar. The Boxster S is a beauty but as tested
is $59K. The Z as tested was $34K. The difference in qtr. mile was a blink. The best part of the article was on the Z pages, it said Bottom Line the Z does everything you want a sports car to do for thousands of $'s less than the euros.

Quick Reply: motor trend roadster comparo