370Z Brakes & Suspension 370Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Bilstien B14 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:30 AM
meezusthegoat

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bilstien B14 anyone?

Hi All,

Im building my Z into a fast road/track car I'm not sure which suspension I should get, the Bilstein B14 coilover kit, the B8's, or another company entirely. I was deadset on fortune auto 500's but they're very very expensive and take about a month to be built in addition I've already analyzed the shock dyno's for the B14 kit and I liked what I saw. Can anyone give their driving impressions on these so I can decide whether I want to pull the trigger on them or not?
Old 11-29-2017, 06:49 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by meezusthegoat
Hi All,

Im building my Z into a fast road/track car I'm not sure which suspension I should get, the Bilstein B14 coilover kit, the B8's, or another company entirely. I was deadset on fortune auto 500's but they're very very expensive and take about a month to be built in addition I've already analyzed the shock dyno's for the B14 kit and I liked what I saw. Can anyone give their driving impressions on these so I can decide whether I want to pull the trigger on them or not?
For road use (even pushing it), I have never found any need for more than a static/fixed height setup. My original upgrade was to the B12 ProKit, of which I now only retain the ProKit springs. My adjustability comes from Koni Sports, single adjust. (I'd still have the Bilstein B6s if I didn't give them away as they are very competent and ride is much better but it's neither here nor there as I have other cars for comfy rides. Laff...)

For track use, can't comment, haven't turned a wheel in anger in like 30 years. However, do keep in mind a couple things you probably already know... The Fortune units are expensive for a reason. Custom/selectable spring rates and multiple thousands (well, "lots" anyways...you get the idea) of jounce/rebound adjustments - what you likely need for real track duty.

B14 'Stein setup is height adjustable only and while that's perfectly fine for road use, might not be what you want for a variety of tracks if you run multiple venues.

The B14 setup drives pretty much as "smooth" (relative term) as the B12 ProKit setup (which are the B8 shocks) obviously depending on how the springs are set up.

Personally, if I wanted/needed a coilover setup that actually works on the track, I would opt for "real coilovers". Not to say the B14 isn't good, just that if I'm going that route, I'd assume get ALL ADJUSTABLE (valving and height) range COs and NOT just height adjustable. Kind of a waste of time IMO.

My $.02. YMMV.

Oh, and I'm going to presume you know all about the "supporting components" you're going to want/need.... sway bars, toe and camber adjustables F&R, and of course, a good alignment shop to set you up for whatever tire/wheel combination you run on the street and possibly a different alignment set for track wheels/tires. All depends on the rubber.
The following users liked this post:
photo2u (01-22-2018)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:04 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Separate post because this isn't just an edit..... more like a CORRECTION (a big one at that!)

Just noticed you posted in the Z34 section. You have a 370Z? I ask because the dynamics of what I wrote above pertain to Z33 ONLY. Much as people like to think the Z34 is just a newer, prettier (or uglier as it were for a lot of people) version of the 350Z, trust me, it's NOT.

Suspension dynamics are VERY different and BRAND parts that are de facto for Z33 may or may not exist for Z34. My '12 Z34 Niz had almost NO swappable suspension components with my '08 Niz. Shocks, springs, bars, all different. Not even sure if Bilstein makes anything but the fully adjustable B16 COs. Good news is that most of the other companies DO make truetypes for it.

Clarify that for us please.

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-29-2017 at 07:06 PM.