Notices

DIY for stock non-Brembo to stock Brembo brakes

Old 04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Michla22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY for stock non-Brembo to stock Brembo brakes

DIY for stock non-Brembo to stock Brembo brakes.

If you’re planning to do this one here is what you will need:

Front/Rear Brembo Calipers and rotors

Brake lines – Brembo stock ones or aftermarket SS lines
Brake fluid
Brake pads (for Brembos)
4 Caliper bolts for the rear calipers - Nissan part # 080412351A. (fronts are the same so you can reuse what you already have)

(Also in this pic are some aluminum hub centric rings I got from SPL Parts)

OK for the obvious:
Jack the car up on all 4 corners and put it on some jack stands.
Take all 4 wheels off.

You now want to disconnect the brake lines from the inside of the wheel well as seen circled in these pics.

You will then remove the small metal shim that keeps the rubber line attached to the mount at this point as well. (be warned brake fluid will leak) You can use a small rubber cap (as I did) if you have one to cap off the brake line to prevent lots of leaking.

In the front you will also need to unbolt the brake line from the shock and the suspension of the car. In my case I used stoptech lines so I removed the whole mount (for the brake line) from the suspension.

Now you will need to remove the stock calipers. There are two bolts holding each caliper on. In the rear they are 19mm and in the front they are 22mm. These are the bolts you will be reusing in the front and replacing in the rear.

Once these are removed you can remove the caliper along with the rubber brake line which is still attached. Now remove the rotors. The rears may stick a little. Don’t be afraid to use a rubber hammer to bang them loose as I had to do.

For those that are interested –side by side comparison of rear rotors.

You can now slide the stock brembo rotors on in the front and bolt on the brembo caliper. At this time you can also install the brake pads.

The rear is a different story. There is a little lip on the dust shield which sticks up and will get in the way of the much larger rotor. This shield is not easy to remove and I didn’t bother to go that direction. Instead you can just trim the shield. I tried several methods and found the easiest way for me was to use tin snips and cut the lip off. I then used a dremel to smooth the sharp edges down.

After this is done you can install the rear rotor and bolt on the rear caliper with the new bolts. Also go ahead and install the brake pads for the rear.

Now it’s time for the lines.

The rears are a straight shot from the caliper to the inner wheel well connection. Install the same way you tool the old lines out.

The fronts are the same if you are using stock lines. If you ss lines as I am you can mount it to the suspension (without the bracket) and then to the inner wheel well connection. You can use the stock shims to remount the ss lines.

After your line is connected all you need to do is bleed your brakes. After this is done you may need to bed in the brakes. There are plenty of threads on bleeding and bedding so you can search if you’re not sure what to do.
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...tem-bleed.html

Final product:

If I need any corrections please feel free to reply.

Last edited by Michla22; 06-16-2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: added part #
Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 PM
deviljon

nice write up! i just might need this someday..
Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Very nice and very helpful. Now I just need to find a nice set of OEM Brembos. I've been looking at the ones for sale for the 2006, but no pics so I will have to keep looking. The ones you bought looked very clean and in great shape.

Edit: Jeez fixed all the bad typos

Last edited by JDMFairladyZ33; 04-22-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Michla22

Indeed it took me about month of searching before I found a good set. They have some chips here and there but nothing major - all in all a good set.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
Very nice and very helpful. Now I just need to find a nice set of OEM Brembos. I've been looking at the ones for sale for the 2006, but no pics so I will have to keep looking. The ones you bought looked very clean and in great shape.

Edit: Jeez fixed all the bad typos
I think I got pretty lucky then.... I didn't know they were that hard to come across. I was just browsing one day and saw an ad and replied to it. The original seller never responded but someone else PMed me saying he lives 10 minutes away and have the same set plus he had stoptech rotors with them for a better price than the original ad...I wasn't gonna pass on them but didn't know how I can afford them.......then I did my taxes --->

Goodluck with your search bro I'll keep you on the update if I see a nice set floating around. Theres gotta be some people urging to upgrade to 6p/4p BBK.

Btw, this is an awesome write up! Nice and clear details. Only thing to watch out for is trimming the rear heat shield and making sure you bend the front back a little. For 2-3 days I couldn't figure out what was rubbing my rotors and it wasn't the back, it was actually the front head shield (which you don't need to trim).
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Bahraini350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

A very nice and useful write up

One question, will the SS lines go to the caliper itself or to the extention lines coming out of the caliper?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Scarab440

Originally Posted by Bahraini350Z
A very nice and useful write up

One question, will the SS lines go to the caliper itself or to the extention lines coming out of the caliper?
the stoptech lines go from the caliper (using banjo bolt) to the hardline in the inner fender. they replace the whole OEM rubber line assembly.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Michla22

Originally Posted by Scarab440
the stoptech lines go from the caliper (using banjo bolt) to the hardline in the inner fender. they replace the whole OEM rubber line assembly.
Yeah what he said - most SS lines are to the caliper itself (replacing the existing metal line for brembos).
Old 06-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Bahraini350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michla22
Yeah what he said - most SS lines are to the caliper itself (replacing the existing metal line for brembos).
Now that is clear... thanks

coz I have bought the calipers from a totaled Z and they were missing the metal lines of them

Just ordered a set of Goodridge SS lines and hope they cover what is missing
Old 06-22-2007, 03:22 PM
usjdmtuner

now thats nice..
Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 AM
will350z

So, if I were to get my friends G35 Brembo's there's no issue about fitment, etc? I am more concerned about my non-brembo calipers/rotors fitting on his car (he's trading it in to the dealer)...
Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Michla22

Originally Posted by will350z
So, if I were to get my friends G35 Brembo's there's no issue about fitment, etc? I am more concerned about my non-brembo calipers/rotors fitting on his car (he's trading it in to the dealer)...
The brembo's I'm using are from a G35 - not sure about your stockers on a G - should just be able to reverse the process for his car - rear heat shields will be a bit larger than need be - other than that i can't think of anything that would be a problem.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 AM
will350z

The brembo's I'm using are from a G35 - not sure about your stockers on a G - should just be able to reverse the process for his car - rear heat shields will be a bit larger than need be - other than that i can't think of anything that would be a problem.
Excellent (Mr.Burns Voice)....
Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
SolarOrangeZ

possibily a n00bish question but.....if i am ever able to get my hands on some stock brembos, can I do this one brake at a time with the OEM jack stand?

also, for my 2007 350z, which years Brembos will fit?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Michla22

Originally Posted by SolarOrangeZ
possibily a n00bish question but.....if i am ever able to get my hands on some stock brembos, can I do this one brake at a time with the OEM jack stand?

Yes you could do this one corner at a time and I can see not wanting to spring for a nice jack- HOWEVER - it would be worth while to get 4 jack stands to set the car on.

Just go out and get a cheap walmart jack or somethings if your worried about cash - it will save you a big hassle.

I beleive it's the same brembos for every year since 2003 - I did remember reading:
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...58&postcount=3
So they should fit fine and work fine but according to this member in his reply on another topic it looks as though the newer brembos have a little more torque.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Max-Q

Originally Posted by SolarOrangeZ

Man, do not even attempt this with the stock jack It could possibly slip while you are under it and damage your car or worse injure or kill you. Buck up and buy a hydraulic floor jack and jack stands from Wal-Mart.

Do not take a chance on this. I know a guy that died several years ago trying to work on his car with the stock jack.

Are there any fitment issues with the stock wheel offset and the Brembos?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Michla22

Originally Posted by Max-Q
It depends on what year and which rims - I do know that the nonbrembo stock spare will not work with brembos......
Old 08-04-2007, 12:49 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-Q
Man, do not even attempt this with the stock jack It could possibly slip while you are under it and damage your car or worse injure or kill you. Buck up and buy a hydraulic floor jack and jack stands from Wal-Mart.

Do not take a chance on this. I know a guy that died several years ago trying to work on his car with the stock jack.

I trust the stock jack stand than any hydraulic floor jack. This only applies if you are not using jack stands. Stock jack doesn't use fluid to keep the car up. But yes, jack stands are a must.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:39 AM
gohandbz88

Something about brake lines always confuse me which way is loosen and which is tighten. Looking at this picture, if I had the wrench on that bolt, which direction do I turn the wrench (left or right) to loosen it?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:18 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

All of the stock wheels for all years will fit over the Brembo brakes. This includes 17" base wheels but does not include the 16" spare that comes with non-Brembo cars (as noted above).

Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY for stock non-Brembo to stock Brembo brakes