Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Kick panels or Door Pods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009 | 09:34 PM
ninor

Default Kick panels or Door Pods?

Did anyone have both installed? Which one did you like better?

I am wondering which one would sound better.. by the way I have 6 speed if that matters for the fitment of the kick panels.
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:55 PM
ninor

Technically, there would be more rattles in doors while using door pods than kick panels... my question is... how bad are those rattles? Considering that you deaden the doors to the best of your ability..
Old 01-14-2009 | 07:56 AM
adamtaylorpcb

BOTH!! get a 3 way system
Old 01-14-2009 | 09:32 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
BOTH!! get a 3 way system
Sure, send me $1,000 to my paypal and I'll get it!

I'm already going out of my budget as it is
Old 01-14-2009 | 11:00 AM
adamtaylorpcb

you can get 3way comps for far-far less than $1000

a pretty damn good set can be had for easily less than 500... even found some for 150 before
Old 01-14-2009 | 11:03 AM
SweetDreamZ

so...you are going to skimp on the speakers...but are worried about whether to put them in the doors or on the floor because of sound quality? sounds like cost is your factor, thus, you've answered your own question...go with the cheapest solution..
Old 01-14-2009 | 01:27 PM
B5I8

Originally Posted by ninor
Technically, there would be more rattles in doors while using door pods than kick panels... my question is... how bad are those rattles? Considering that you deaden the doors to the best of your ability..
While I've never owned any door pods, the amount of buzz and rattle can definitely be heard from installing speakers in the door no matter how much dampening you put in there. When I originally had my speakers mounted in the door with dampening, I thought there wasn't much buzz or rattle. It wasn't until i heard a setup with kicks that I noticed a difference. Once I heard what speakers sound like installed in the kick panel, I noticed a big difference in sound from my setup to the one I heard. Honestly, I could never go back to having my speakers installed in the door now that I have them in the kicks. Unless you plan on rebuilding the door panel which would probably be the only to get rid of all the buzz and rattle, you're better off $$$ wise going with kick panels.
Old 01-14-2009 | 02:37 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
so...you are going to skimp on the speakers...but are worried about whether to put them in the doors or on the floor because of sound quality? sounds like cost is your factor, thus, you've answered your own question...go with the cheapest solution..
Where did you get the idea that I am skimping out on speakers??? I am spending $400 for speakers that retail for $1,200 and they are 2-ways... great deal that I'm getting and I if I am spending $300-350 on either door pods or kick panels... I want the damn best sound coming out of them
Old 01-14-2009 | 02:39 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by B5I8
While I've never owned any door pods, the amount of buzz and rattle can definitely be heard from installing speakers in the door no matter how much dampening you put in there. When I originally had my speakers mounted in the door with dampening, I thought there wasn't much buzz or rattle. It wasn't until i heard a setup with kicks that I noticed a difference. Once I heard what speakers sound like installed in the kick panel, I noticed a big difference in sound from my setup to the one I heard. Honestly, I could never go back to having my speakers installed in the door now that I have them in the kicks. Unless you plan on rebuilding the door panel which would probably be the only to get rid of all the buzz and rattle, you're better off $$$ wise going with kick panels.
Thank you for your information B5, I love your system! I forgot if you had manual or automatic transmission in your car... in either way, does the kick panel get in a way a lot? I have a manual and I'd hate to give up my dead pedal
Old 01-14-2009 | 04:01 PM
Spike100

Kicks vs. door pods vs. stock door mount… I’ve had the opportunity to see and listen to all of them, and here’s my opinion:
Advantage: Kicks provide the best sound. You can stage your sound more easily because the speakers are farther from the listener and therefore the sound is more directional. Kicks are easily installed and are not exposed to the mechanical force/abuse you have with door mounts (opening/closing the car’s doors).

Disadvantage: Kicks take up floor space in your car and block the dead pedal.
Advantage: Very good sound (almost as good as kicks). It’s not as easy to stage your sound with door pods as kicks, but some consider the difference as negligible, and that is especially true if you locate your tweeters in a favorable position. For example, you could place your tweeters in the A-Pillar or even create a mini-kick (that do not block floor space or the dead pedal ) for the tweeters.

Disadvantage: Door pods require expert-level installation. If the pods are not attached correctly you get some vibration that ruins the sound. Constantly opening/closing the door (normal operation) can loosen the pods making sound horrible. Also, poorly installed or fabricated door pods look like “pig-boat.” You should also be aware that door pods may interfere with easy entrance/exit (i.e., scraping the pods with your feet when entering and exiting the car).
Advantage: Using the stock door mount makes installing your speakers very easy. You may (probably) need to use spacers, but that’s very simple. Speakers in the stock door mount do not interfere with entering and exiting the car as you experience with door pods.

Disadvantage: Burying your expensive speakers inside the door panel results in a somewhat muffled sound. Certainly installing a high-quality speaker mitigates this problem, but you cannot get the sound you have with properly installed door pods.

I probably am forgetting some points that other will present. But, the bottom line is it’s like everything else in life… it’s a compromise, and you pick what works best for you and your situation.

--Spike
Old 01-14-2009 | 04:08 PM
Kwame

I went with custom built door pods and I think its the ****, so has everyone else who has heard them. Just my $.02
Old 01-14-2009 | 04:14 PM
CanadianDream

Almost all pro installers prefer kicks. They are generally far easier to tune and get the sound stage right. Lately all major SQ wins are usually from people with kicks.

3 way is a great idea... small 3" midrange and tweet and kicks, midbass in stock door location.
Old 01-14-2009 | 05:42 PM
SweetDreamZ

Where did you get the idea that I am skimping out on speakers??? I am spending $400 for speakers that retail for $1,200 and they are 2-ways... great deal that I'm getting and I if I am spending $300-350 on either door pods or kick panels... I want the damn best sound coming out of them
my bad...i thought that your comment saying "i'm over my budget" implied that you weren't going to be getting some audiophile level speakers. To be honest, i've never fully understood going to quite that level in a vehicle anyways...especially a Z...considering that sound quality in a noisy vehicle is so greatly diminished by all our rattles etc. just my opinion tho. good luck with your install
Old 01-14-2009 | 09:24 PM
B5I8

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I went with custom built door pods and I think its the ****, so has everyone else who has heard them. Just my $.02
I would love to have a custom door panel like yours but I'm scared to know what it costs. If cost was not a concern I'd definitely have at least the midbass in the door, something like a 8" or 10" would be perfect.
Old 01-14-2009 | 09:27 PM
B5I8

Thank you for your information B5, I love your system! I forgot if you had manual or automatic transmission in your car... in either way, does the kick panel get in a way a lot? I have a manual and I'd hate to give up my dead pedal
I have an Auto. I really thought I would miss my dead pedal but you get used to not having it. As far as having the extra clutch pedal in a manual, Bing aka 16psibrick has size 13 feet and he doesn't have a problem with it in any of the installs he's done.
Old 01-15-2009 | 06:24 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I just saw taht B5 posted that you have custom door panels... can you post some pics of those? If they are just regular door panels with door pods and it sounds amazing, I would probably end up going with pods.

Originally Posted by B5I8
I have an Auto. I really thought I would miss my dead pedal but you get used to not having it. As far as having the extra clutch pedal in a manual, Bing aka 16psibrick has size 13 feet and he doesn't have a problem with it in any of the installs he's done.
I think it's different when he's just installing with his size 13 and my size 11 driving the car all the time... I tried not using the dead pedal last 2 days to see how it is and I absolutely hate it
Old 01-15-2009 | 08:42 AM
adamtaylorpcb

this is Kwame@z1 a bit elaborate for the average install, especially one looking to save a few $$$ ...... not to mention the $1,400 components
Name:  Custom3-WayComponenetsBuildIntoD-24.jpg
Views: 4026
Size:  55.5 KB

Last edited by adamtaylorpcb; 01-15-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2009 | 09:32 AM
Get_Zwole

Ok Ill give some input now. Ive used both now. My mids are still breaking in a bit I have dash pods with dls iridium mids and tweets and door pods with 6.5'' iridium midbass.

I Used to use a passive 2 way iridium both in custom kicks built by none other then Bing. They sounded great. Now im taking it to a new level if you will.

Now that i have a few hours in my car tinkering and playing around. I really like the door pods they sound great, although i think the kicks image and the stage is a bit better. Im waiting till i have a bit of extra coin and ill prob have Bing make me some Kicks for my midbass. I have to say its nice having somewhere to rest my leg again lol. Went a year and a half with no dead pedal.

I would say either way you cant lose they are both quality products and will work great its really about your preference. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2009 | 09:36 AM
blasian

^^^buying his kicks, I can't wait
Old 01-15-2009 | 09:57 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by blasian
^^^buying his kicks, I can't wait
They are ready when you are brotha

Quick Reply: Kick panels or Door Pods?