BOTH!! get a 3 way system
I agree, I have some great deals

Check it out... https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...-speakers.html
Old 01-16-2009 | 12:19 PM
ninor

Originally Posted by Nazar
I agree, I have some great deals

Check it out... https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...-speakers.html
While you are in the thread, can you answer the above question on how the door pods are installed on 06+ Z?

Here's my post: https://my350z.com/forum/6817337-post36.html
Old 01-16-2009 | 12:55 PM
Get_Zwole

you have to drill holes in the door panel then they bolt in.
Old 01-16-2009 | 12:59 PM
Nazar
Banned

Originally Posted by ninor
True. I'm sure Nazar builds awesome door pods. Is there any info on his website on how to install them on an 08 Z? I heard it's a pernament mod to the door panels. I couldn't find anything on his website.

Last edited by Nazar; 01-16-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2009 | 01:24 PM
ninor

Thank you for posting those! I will contact you next week for some pods. I already bought speakers so no go on Hertz combo

By the way, how was the cup holder taken out? I think I'm not seeing the whole picture here
Old 01-16-2009 | 01:42 PM
Get_Zwole

Thank you for posting those! I will contact you next week for some pods. I already bought speakers so no go on Hertz combo

By the way, how was the cup holder taken out? I think I'm not seeing the whole picture here
those pics are from an 03 to 05 model with no cupholders there.

On the 06-08 you just buy a different pod one that goes over the top of the holder. You lose the cupholder but it looks great. Make sure you specify which one you need to them.
Old 01-16-2009 | 02:07 PM
Nazar
Banned

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole

On the 06-08 you just buy a different pod one that goes over the top of the holder. You lose the cupholder but it looks great. Make sure you specify which one you need to them.
06-07-08 pods are a little different, But they mount the same.

Here is a picture of the 06-07-08 Pod.

Old 01-16-2009 | 04:39 PM
CanadianDream

Or just make your own for about $50 bucks in materials - it is really pretty easy.

The reupholstering - different story. Hard to do without a good sewing machine.

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
10 hrs of labor at $105 per hour - $1,050. They definitely hooked me up on the labor hours and the amount per hour since it was a really big job for the entire system.

This is just for the pods by the way, it does not include re-upholstering the entire door.
Old 01-16-2009 | 06:04 PM
ninor

I thought they were too, I just wasn't sure

by the way, thank you for posting that thread on DIYMA about hearing loss, it was real busy at work today so I kept reading it

Originally Posted by CanadianDream
Or just make your own for about $50 bucks in materials - it is really pretty easy.

Why don't you do it and then make a HOW TO thread?
Old 01-16-2009 | 08:03 PM
orgasm_donor

The materials is one thing....building high quality pods that do not rattle and are strong and reliable is a skill. Saying its easy is a little misleading.

Anybody can build a set of poor quality pods in about 6 hours. The good ones when done right can take 18-20 hours (when sanded for paint or vinyl). If it were so easy I wouldn't be building pods and fibreglass sub enclosures and charging a premium for high quality work.
Old 01-16-2009 | 11:46 PM
Get_Zwole

I thought they were too, I just wasn't sure

by the way, thank you for posting that thread on DIYMA about hearing loss, it was real busy at work today so I kept reading it
no prob man. Im always curious how many people try to keep the volume down etc. Read my thread about road noise lol. I wanted a little insight on closed cell open cell etc. Mr. scientific on the forum didnt like it that i didnt search all his threads while i was on my phone i laughed at his expense.
Old 01-16-2009 | 11:54 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
The materials is one thing....building high quality pods that do not rattle and are strong and reliable is a skill. Saying its easy is a little misleading.

Anybody can build a set of poor quality pods in about 6 hours. The good ones when done right can take 18-20 hours (when sanded for paint or vinyl). If it were so easy I wouldn't be building pods and fibreglass sub enclosures and charging a premium for high quality work.
Exactly why I leave up to people like Orgasm Donor who have way more experience than myself. Yes I paid a lot of money but the shear fact that my doors do not rattle or buzz at all assures me that my money was well spent.
Old 01-17-2009 | 08:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

for the panels lol his system is baller .

Tweeter in the kicks actually sounded great. Bing will be able to help you with this and explain it better. Im just a pup in the audio game but im getting there .
agreed - with the right speaker/setup and tuning, the kick panel tweets are awesome. I love mine (Focal Utopia 6.5's 2 ways)

mids really picked up once I ditched the factory grill and rewrapped it (not to mention fed 'em more power lol)

sorry for the crappy pics

it's like any other mod you do - the parts will only work as they should with the right install/setup
Old 01-17-2009 | 11:58 AM
ninor

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
agreed - with the right speaker/setup and tuning, the kick panel tweets are awesome. I love mine (Focal Utopia 6.5's 2 ways)

http://z1auto.com/images/P1010540.JPG

mids really picked up once I ditched the factory grill and rewrapped it (not to mention fed 'em more power lol)

http://www.z1auto.com/images/adamnewpicsfeb11door.jpg

sorry for the crappy pics

it's like any other mod you do - the parts will only work as they should with the right install/setup
Are those Focal Utopia 165Ws? :O

I had those in my old Mazda 626 before I sold it and they were amazing! Right now I ordered Focal 165 K2Ps and I heard them in friend's 2004 Impala and they sound amazing (tweeter was mounted next to the mid-bass in stock door location). I'm still undecided where I'll install the tweeters (snails, door pods, or kick panels). Getting them molded into the pillar right now is out of the question for right now (no more $$$).

You are lucky that those Utopias cleared without door pods!
Old 01-17-2009 | 01:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yep they are 165w's. No door pods needed, though the installer (same as on Kwame's car) did a nice angled mounting ring so better center the speaker to the opening for the grille
Old 02-01-2009 | 06:33 AM
jmark

I am thinking about adding covered Nazar's 07 door pods + Polk Audio SR6500 w/tweeter mounted as a two way + amp ? + Clarion DZX785USB HU. Thoughts ? If I decide to forgo the amp what speakers would work well with just the HU power?
Old 02-01-2009 | 10:01 AM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by jmark
If I decide to forgo the amp what speakers would work well with just the HU power?
stock
Old 02-03-2009 | 08:17 AM
ninor

Okay, so I finally pulled the trigger and sent my kicks to Bing... I'll post some pics after I get them back and install them
Old 02-03-2009 | 08:18 AM
blasian

Okay, so I finally pulled the trigger and sent my kicks to Bing... I'll post some pics after I get them back and install them
I'll add that I absolutely love it compared to stock. No more rattles ftmfw
Old 02-03-2009 | 09:59 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by blasian
I'll add that I absolutely love it compared to stock. No more rattles ftmfw
you install them yet? I cant say i dont miss the better imaging for midbass but it is nice to have more room next to my clutch for my fat *** foot lol.

Quick Reply: Kick panels or Door Pods?