Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:32 AM
Xendric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech installation problems

So a few weeks ago, I bought the Vortech tuner kit for my revup.
The first shipment came with several wrong parts, mainly pulleys and the mounting bracket, which was for a non revup.
There were quickly replaced, but the second shipment, that has just got in, still has problems.

A) Wrong pulley alignment
As shown on the attached pics, the alignment between the SC pulley and the mounting bracket pulley is really bad. It appears to me, as far as I can tell when I compare my setup to pics of other 350Z's with the Vortech installed, that one or more of the parts is not compatible with my model and there has been a **** up from Vortech once again.
If you look at other published vortech powered engine bays, you will notice that the SC sits further into the bracket than in my setup. That's probably what's causing the misalignment, but I can't tell exactly which part - for all I know, it could be as much as a wrong SC or as little as a wrong spacer.

Here is my setup:

Here is a typical vortech setup:

B) Which pulley?
The first mounting bracket that came with the kit had a pulley on it to drive the pulley on the SC. Then they sent me the new mounting bracket with a new pulley on it and an extra pulley in a plastic bag too.
I'm lost as to which one I should use. If I leave everything as it came on the new setup, the alignment is all wrong.
If I use the spare pulley that came in the last shipment (this pulley is smaller in diameter than the one that was already installed on the new mounting bracket), then it rubs on the hub that holds it on the mounting bracket.
If I use the old pulley on the new hub, it doesn't rub, but the alignment is still all wrong.
Is there a chance that the 4GR033-032 pulley must be put on the SC itself rather than the mounting bracket?

C) SC belt tensioner
Then there is a problem with the small belt that drives the supercharger. As you can see in the pics, there is no way to use the tensioner in a way to hold it where it should be.
Even if I push it all the way down, to stretch the belt as far as it can go, there is still lots of slack, as seen on the pic. Plus, the tensioner will rub between the other two SC pulleys.

My car has been sitting at the garage for weeks waiting for the replacement parts.
Now it still can't been done.
My mechanic will rip me apart with working hours charges on a kit that is supposedly the easiest and fastest to fit.

I would really appreciate all the help that you guys can offer.

Alex

Last edited by Xendric; 02-26-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:43 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those pics are very big can you shrink them a bit, and don't get them so close up? Also can you get pics from the front of youre mounting bracket? I think your tensioner pulley is way to big, there might be somthing wrong with the way your blower is mounted to the bracket, but I can't tell from those pics.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:55 AM
05Z33

I just stepped outside to compare mine to your's, and from the looks of it the cog pulley on the jackshaft is on backwards. This still does not explain why you have so much play in that belt. I would start by flipping that pulley around since you're going to have to do it regardless, then go from there. Get more pics for sure so we can analyze this better. Just make sure they're not so close up.

It seems that there are 2 different style cog pulleys on the jackshaft. Vortech must have had a revision, and I'm not talking about the size (34,32 tooth).

The problem could all be coming from the cog belt itself. Maybe they sent you the wrong one, If they screwed the order up the first time chances are they gave you the wrong belt as well.

Last edited by 05Z33; 02-26-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Xendric

I'm sorry I can't make them smaller from this pc, and my car is at the garage atm, so I can't take any pics right now. But if you hold Ctrl and mouse wheel, you can zoom in/out, so you can have a better look at them.

I don't understand why you think the pulley is on backwards. Comparing my setup to the third pic in my post, it appears the pulleys are identically orientated. Can you explain what you mean?

The two different pulleys.. can you be a little more clear on that?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 AM
tylerxfire

hard to tell from the pics man...get some better ones if u want help...from what i am looking at the blower is mounted on the bracket wrong...and did u even get all the spacers on and in the right places? and all the right bolts in the right places...i just did this install and it was very straight forward but if u don't follow instructions could mix some things up and cause for this problem..
Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
05Z33

From looking at your first picture, I see you have some sort of black spacer between the blower and the bracket. I would remove that, for I have never seen that on any vortech kit for a 350Z. This should correct your alignment problem.

As for the cog pulleys, you should have a 34 tooth cog pulley on the bracket and a 32 tooth cog pulley on the blower. Just out of curiosity what year is your Z, and is it a an automatic or 6 speed? I only ask cause I want to confirm that you do have a rev up model. Also what extra pulleys do you have? You mentioned somthing about a smaller pulley and one in a bag. Are they cog pulleys, serp pulleys, or a tensioner pulley?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
tylerxfire

tensioner pulley comes in the bag with bubble wrap....and yeah that spacer on there i have never seen...and def. wanna know if the car is a revup..+1 to year, and what is ur redline on the tach.. who did u get this kit through? did u give them the year of ur car?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

No highjack thread, but i'm little lost too.

This is what it came with kit, and way i understand is all this bolts and spacer goes on bracket right?

Then where is tensioner bolts?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

OP, got this picture from NICO. Compare how blower sit with bracket...mine is sit perfect like this in picture.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the bolts that you take off the front of your engine block (...its in the instructions) becomes the tensioner bolt...I think...

Originally Posted by Chef-J
No highjack thread, but i'm little lost too.

This is what it came with kit, and way i understand is all this bolts and spacer goes on bracket right?

Then where is tensioner bolts?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 AM
tylerxfire

yes the bolt u take out on like the first couple steps is re-used for the cog tensioner bolt its a long bolt u pull right out during ur uninstallation of things u will see...those bolts u have there chef are all for mounting the blower to the bracket and the bracket and blower to the motor..

Last edited by tylerxfire; 02-26-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
tylerxfire

are u sure u have the blower mounted up right on the bracket with the correct spacers in place...see how the blower is tilted in my pics, cannot tell from yours op but it doesn't look like urs is tilted..like i said get better pics and what year and car do u have? i think u may have it bolted up wrong to the bracket
Attached Thumbnails Vortech installation problems-side-view-kit-finished.jpg   Vortech installation problems-kit-finished-pic-of-blower.jpg   Vortech installation problems-blower-mounted.jpg  

Last edited by tylerxfire; 02-26-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
tylerxfire

haha, just realized the one pic up top of typical vortech setup is my car...remember i have a non revup so some things may be different, idk..
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Another thing I noticed is that the two blowers seems a little different...

The first blower (OP's) is just straight to the cog pulley while the second blower has a little part sticking out before the cog pulley...just an observation...maybe the new V3 blower has a different blower housing; well, assuming the OP has the new V3 blower...
Attached Thumbnails Vortech installation problems-blower1.jpg   Vortech installation problems-blower2.jpg  

Last edited by 350z006; 02-26-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Xendric

Thanks for trying to help everyone, I really appreciate it.
My car is an anniversary model (rev up engine) and MT, and after Vortech sent me the replacement parts (mounting plate etc, since they sent me the ones for a non rev-up the first time), I've confirmed I have the right parts now.

As far as the blower not sitting properly.. I believe we saw this black spacer between the blower and the mounting plate on some pics on the internet, and I'm pretty sure it was described like this in the manual. I can't check the manual right now, nor can I get better pics, because I live in Greece, it's 11pm here now and the shop is closed atm....

Now, if I remove the black spacer, which we tried, the ribbed pulley on the jackshaft (the upper right one as you look at the engine bay from the front, on the mounting plate) is hitting the blower's intake, and it will not sit properly - there's just not enough clearance.

One thing I have asked Vortech through my last email, but I haven't got a reply yet, is if we can tilt down a bit the blower's intake, so that it can make some room for the jackshaft pulley. I know turbochargers can be tilted like that, but a self-lubricated supercharger might be different and I wanted to make sure I won't mes it up.
If this is possible, then I can take out the black spacer, and it might work.

I really am lost here. I had heard Vortechs are cake to install, even a DIY job for some people. I'd never imagine it would take me almost 2 weeks and still be at a loss
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM
tylerxfire

true...does look little different..basically op needs to find out if its the right kit for the car and stick to the v3 instructions if thats what it is... and get useful help from v3 installs, cause there must be some differences between that, and there are absolutely differences from the non revup to the revup kit.. guess well have to wait to hear from him and see what this car is
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM
tylerxfire

anniversary edition i beleive may have a different kit, i think there is a kit for just the 05 anniversary edition i remember seeing somewhere, are u sure u have the right kit?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Xendric

Originally Posted by 350z006
Another thing I noticed is that the two blowers seems little different...

The first blower (OP's) is just straight to the cog pulley while the second blower has a little part sticking out before the cog pulley...just an observation...maybe the new V3 blower has a different blower housing; well, assuming the OP has the new V3 blower...
YES! I noticed that too and at first I was certain that was the problem.
But then Vortech told me the only different parts between a revup and a non-revup are the cog pulley, the mounting plate and some miscellaneous bolts and spacers. I specifically asked them today if the blower is identical for the two models, they said yes.

And yes, mine is a V3, I don't know if it should be like that though.

I noticed your blower's intake is tilted way down compared to mine. Did your shop do it manually or did it came like that?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM
tylerxfire

i did the install myself on mine took 3 days... what is ur part number like i said i beleive there is a specific kit for the 05 revup anniversary edition...think this is it V4NZ218-120L
says 05-06 revup, then there are other kits for just 05 and other kits for just 06 it looks, little things could be different...
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM
tylerxfire

the intake on mine is right where it needs to be...thats just the way everything bolted right up and only place it can be..

Quick Reply: Vortech installation problems