Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Z Tweeter location

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:02 AM
jerseydawg2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z Tweeter location

Hey folks,

I want to collect opinions on where I should mount the tweeter from my new component kit in my Z. A lot of people just use the stock location, but this is a little far from the midrange in the lower part of the door. I was thinking of putting the tweeter in the kick panel.

I have heard some good reviews on this placement, but those systems also included 4" midranges in the kick panel as well. I am leary because you have to accept some horizontal displacement of the sound source versus the midrange. Has anyone placed only a tweeter in the kick panel and liked what they heard?

Side note: Why not just put the tweeter in the stock location? Moving the tweeter to the kick panels has a few advantages:
  • Closer path length between the right and left tweets.
  • I'd be able to leave the crossover out of the door, just leaving it behind the kick panels. This would allow me to tune the system without ripping the door apart.
  • If I only put one speaker in the door, I'd feel more comfortable just using the stock wiring for the 18" from the kickplate to the midrange speaker. I would run new wire from the amp to the crossover and tweeter and could spare myself the pain of running new wires through the door. I'm lazy, I know.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:24 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I run 6 speakers up front. 6.5 woofers in the door, 1 set of tweeters in the kickplates, and 1 set of ambient tweeters in the stock door.

Put your tweets in the kicks nomatter what. Way better imaging with a lot wider soundstage. My tweets in the kicks are facing straight back and angled up towards the seatbelt top pivot point.

I compete with my Z in sound quality events for reference and I'd never run tweeters alone in the stock location. My ambients are 8k hz and up frequencies only so all they do is lift the stage.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey ls350z...do you have any pictures of your tweeteres in the kickpanel? that's a good idea. i wanted to put my component set in the kickpanels but i didn't like how it took up a lot of foot room on the driver side. i'm guessing with just the tweeter it wouldn't.

thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 11:13 AM
BoostTed

Im running 6 speakers up front as well. I have the tweeters and mid-range in the kickpanels and a woofer in the door. Definatly do it.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:59 AM
jerseydawg2000

Awesome. Thanks guys, I will definitely skip the door for the tweeters.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:50 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I really wish I had pics of my tweeters since all the MECA guys want to see them and several here have asked here. If I remember to grab my camera from my garage I'll snap some photos. The only thing I did to mount my 1" Boston tweeters in the kicks was cut out a hole - absolutely taking up no extra space. Unless I point them out, noone has ever found them although to me and those that know of them they are obvious as daylight - lol. They were hidden way better with my old tweeters but the new Boston Z6 neo tweeters look slightly different and are more obvious now.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:13 PM
rplink

My setup is similar to LS350z, except I'm running 8 speakers up front. A set of DLS Ultimate 6.3 with the tweets and 4"mids in kicks and the 6.5 mid woofer in the door. After listening to my system for a couple of weeks, I was really happy but felt the soundstage was being pulled down by having the tweets in the kicks.
So, I purchased a CDT soundstage setup which consists of two tweets and crossovers. Man, what a difference. The tweets are crossed over quite high but they add just the right amount fill to pull the soundstage back up.

So, don't rule out tweets in the doors just yet. Get the kickpanels installed and let your ears be the judge!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Mean Gene

Thumbs up Ditto!!

Gotta go with rplink here as well. I also have 8 drivers upfront but mine's a little different. I have a set of Focal Utopias ( 6.5" mid + 1" tweet ) in custom sealed kicks & a pair of Focal 5WS 5.25" woofers ( crossed down as mid-bass drivers ) in the doors but also in sealed enclosures. I kept the stock A-pillar tweeter location but replaced them with Focals & attenuated them down so that they bring the soundstage up but don't scream in your ears. It a similiar up-front system as I had in my Lexus GS400 & I won many IASCA & USAC SQ competitions in the Southern Region. My G35 still has plenty of footroom but I am going to need to shorten my E-brake pedal a bit.
As a side note - like Dawg said, putting the x-overs in the doors makes them a little tough to get to but once I tuned the system, I haven't needed to re-adjust them since. My installer has my photo CD but I'll get it back soon & try to post pics next week.

Gene

Last edited by Mean Gene; 12-08-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:40 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I agree with both of you - to get a full soundstage at proper height you'll have to use some tweets in the stock location (or even higher) attunated alot or crossovered pretty high (I run 8k+ in my ambient tweets up high).

Even without those tweets, I'd still stick to my component tweets in the kicks.

I'm thinking of this winter making some kicks to add another set of components in and going up to 10 speakers up front! Only time will tell - lol.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by LS350Z
I run 6 speakers up front. 6.5 woofers in the door, 1 set of tweeters in the kickplates, and 1 set of ambient tweeters in the stock door.

Put your tweets in the kicks nomatter what. Way better imaging with a lot wider soundstage. My tweets in the kicks are facing straight back and angled up towards the seatbelt top pivot point.

I compete with my Z in sound quality events for reference and I'd never run tweeters alone in the stock location. My ambients are 8k hz and up frequencies only so all they do is lift the stage.
I run nearly the same set up, sounds great
Old 12-08-2004, 09:30 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow. all of your audio systems make me jealous.