Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help a stereo novice - Sub + Amp...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 09:43 AM
LowFuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help a stereo novice - Sub + Amp...?

So I think I'd like to get the Infinity Perfect 10 sub, because it fits into the stock location.
I'm also adding an Alpine 7894 deck. My question is, do I need an amp to power the sub (I assume so), and if so what should I get?
Please keep in mind I'm not looking to break windows on houses 2 miles away, just something reasonable and not too expensive.

I'm also assuming here that this amp is just to power the sub, the Alpine deck should be able to power the stock speakers otherwise.

Thanks for any advice..
Old 11-25-2002, 10:32 AM
brew

yes you will definetly need an amp to power the sub. You dont really need an amp to power the other speakers, but you cant turn up the amp on you sub too much because it will definetly drown out the other speakers. It would be the better option if you did amplify the other speakers beause your stereo will sound more even and no overwelming with bass. The amp choice is huge. What ever brand you choose, shop around. There are tons of places on the internet where you can get great breaks off normal instore prices.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:35 AM
LowFuel

Ok - I assume to power all the speakers I'd just need a more robust AMP right?
Old 11-25-2002, 04:04 PM
dan350z

hey lowfuel, I was going to get the perfect 10 but my infinity rep who by the way hooked me up with an unbelievable deal highly recommended I go with the kappa instead because my amp only puts out 250 RMS. He said they have tons of perfect 10's and 12's because the were smoked from being under powerd. He said he knows they say 350 RMS but would highly recommend at least 500 and that many people run them with 800-1000 with no problem. just thought this could help. Oh I have an excelon head unit the kappa perfect comps and the kappa 10 all waiting to be installed.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:53 PM
LowFuel

Yes, the Kappa perfect 10 is the one I was looking at...
Old 11-25-2002, 06:51 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Originally posted by LowFuel
Ok - I assume to power all the speakers I'd just need a more robust AMP right?
Yes and No, the question is difficult to answer only because of the many options you have available.

For all the speakers you could go with a 5 channel amp or you could do 2 amps, one 4 channel for the speakers and a seperate monoblock amp for the sub. It really depends on what you're looking for.

For great staging just ignore or limit your rear speakers. Run them off the HU power if you like rear-fill or remove them all together. This right here eliminates 2 channels for your speaker amp right there. Honestly in the Z I'd loose them all thogether unless you're going A/V where you'll want surrond sound and the rear fill.

My best suggestion is getting something like a 50 - 100W 2 channel amp for the front speakers and a 200-500W mono-block amp for the sub. McIntosh, xtant, PPI (Precision Power), and JL Audio are my personal favorites.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:04 PM
GSRto350Z

Default Why the Kappa?

I hope it is a Free Air Sub, other wise it will sound like junk. I just added an Amp and sub to my factory stereo and it sounds good, but there are some rattles I need to find and smooth out.