Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Question for someone with the rear compartment open

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Machupo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for someone with the rear compartment open

Just wondering if I can mount a JL 1000/1 longitudinally (front to back) along the center strut in the behind-seat compartment.

Here's my idea, going to put a 10w7 behind each seat in a fiberglass box and going to have the 1000/1 amp that powers the two subs mounted to one side of the center beam and the 300/4 that powers the components on the other side (along with the cap). going to have a grille built into the center of the rear panel (above the center armrest) with quiet DC fans on the inside to circulate air. Also going to put the Four.1 EQ into the rear panel, near where it meets the armrest (set back enough so that the cupholder compartment door doesn't whack it).

Right now i've got an under-strut box with one 10w7 and a 500/1 powering it (along with the 300/4 powering the components), and the Four.1 is underneath the head unit.

Comments, suggestions, cries for my head on a platter for not using the search function?

thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2005, 12:10 PM
ANXIOUZ

You're talking about the compartment behind the driver right? There's a ton of room there but mounting amps is tricky because of the gas tank.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:11 PM
cbrflyer919

Have you ever had a forward facing sub set up? If not, I highly suggest going around to some local shops and try to find one to listen to. With the stock bose (ie, very low power) it sounds okay but with 2 w7's, I think it would sound horrid. Forward facing bass in a high spl setup is extremely punchy sounding. There are very little deep tones that sound good below about 100hz ( imo ). The goal for any sub setup is to acheive a complete bass wave ( about 8 feet) by the time it hits your ears. I am not a fan and dont think you'd be happy with this sound. It just isnt good. Not to mention the fact that you would have to recess the box inside the cubby to maintain the factory plates and rear console "lines" because of the subs high excursion...OR spend considerably more having the fiberglassing formed perfectly to the shape of the cubby hole opening and then covering it in similar vinyl that just wont match right....Oh and lastly, GOOD GRIEF are you going to take some pounding on your back with a W7. Not trying to shoot down the idea. I just dont think youd be happy with it...especially with how much it would cost realistically.
Oakley
Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Machupo

thanks -- this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for -- i'm just trying to figure out a way to have a nice sounding and hard hitting system, very stealth that won't take up all my trunk space...

maybe I could use the rear cubbyhole for all the amps / caps / car-pc / xbox / no2 bottle (hah, j/k) -- then mount the subs somewhere in the trunk (take up less room? what kind of installs would provide good sound clarity but take up as little room as possible in the trunk?

i would also like to make sure that I can get to my spare if I need to

edited to add:

obviously i would remove the shelf on the passenger side and build custom racks back there... i will also have to put some consideration into maintaining some sort of weight balance

Originally Posted by cbrflyer919
Have you ever had a forward facing sub set up? If not, I highly suggest going around to some local shops and try to find one to listen to. With the stock bose (ie, very low power) it sounds okay but with 2 w7's, I think it would sound horrid. Forward facing bass in a high spl setup is extremely punchy sounding. There are very little deep tones that sound good below about 100hz ( imo ). The goal for any sub setup is to acheive a complete bass wave ( about 8 feet) by the time it hits your ears. I am not a fan and dont think you'd be happy with this sound. It just isnt good. Not to mention the fact that you would have to recess the box inside the cubby to maintain the factory plates and rear console "lines" because of the subs high excursion...OR spend considerably more having the fiberglassing formed perfectly to the shape of the cubby hole opening and then covering it in similar vinyl that just wont match right....Oh and lastly, GOOD GRIEF are you going to take some pounding on your back with a W7. Not trying to shoot down the idea. I just dont think youd be happy with it...especially with how much it would cost realistically.
Oakley

Last edited by Machupo; 07-07-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:48 PM
cbrflyer919

Thats what I did, I have all amps, wiring, dvd player, tv tuner, etc mounted inside the cubbie...( took the bose plate out ) used that factory grill there to maintain facotry look and works awesome as a vent and did the under strut box. really doesnt take up any usable space any way and it fits so tightly that i didnt have to mount the box. It just slides in and out with a few hard hits from the backside if you need to get to the spare.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
dannichols

I mounted crossovers along the wall between the two cubbies.. I think this is the place you are intending on mounting the Amp right? Well, there's not enough room (height) to put an amp along that bracket. You have only about 7 or 8 inches of height. If yer gonna mount two subs (one on each side) in custom fiberglass enclosures it will be really difficult to get an amp in there also. Plus you wouldn't have much free air to keep it cool. Go for trunk or under seat.