Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My $1,200 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:57 PM
ephilyawjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My $1,200 stereo

I have touring edition Z Roadster. The factory spent $.13 and installed a "Premium" radio in my car, and outside of the the way it sounded it was okay. So I did what all else do - Replaced the BLOSE.

I first started with a Sony 9905X Head Unit. This head unit can only be operated by a remote, with at least 15 inches away from the head unit. That is hard to do with a 6Speed Z. The radio was not good for other things also. It had a wonderful display, but other than that it had the features of a $75 radio.

I replaced that with the Alpine 9855 (which has only a black and white display, but at least the background animation is a 350Z driving off into the sunset.) The B/W display actually complements the car, as do the multiple illumination buttons(512Colors) set to amber matches perfectly.

The Alpine did not work well with the BLOSE junk, It only improved the sound by about 500%. so a scale of 1-10 the blose is 1, and the Alpine pushing Bose is now 5.

Then Crutchfiled.com was clearing out MB Quarts so I bought the 10inch 4 ohmn Professional Serious Sub and the 1000watt MB Quarts Reference amp to push it. I mounted the Sub in the Blose sub location (behind the driver) it fit perfect, only had to drill new holes. I mounted the amp in the glove box area (behind the passangers seat)(useless area anyway in the roadster). The bass is now Perfect, but the other speakers are still over amped, because the Alpine is sending out a powered signal to an amp that is also powering it more. So I can't get the volumne up enough to power the sub properly before the others are to high.

So I decided to run speaker wire directly to the speakers and bybass the BLOSE amp. When I got into the doors and noticed that the BLOSE speakers are made of Kleenex Tissues spray painted black and glued to plastic, I decided I should replace them. Even at $19 a pair Jenson does better.

I really wanted MB's and an AMP ($1000), but in the interest of saving cash I decided to wait. So I went to Circuit City and Got 2 pair of Polk Audio db 2 way speakers ($150). They sound great! They do not replicate low bass very well, but I will crossover that out and let the MB do that.

All in all I am very pleased and I would do it all over again.

By the way after I had hooked up just the drivers door speaker and the Sub, it sounded 800% better than the BLOSE system hooked up all the way.

Running speaker wire to the doors is a pain.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you talking about the door speakers are wonderful

If it's any consolation the rear ones are super compared to these whipy @ss things. If you look really close you can see the stock crossover cap ... and then look at the ones Infinity uses in their Kappa's.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:26 PM
350ztoronto

ur story is an inspiration to me sir
Old 10-12-2005, 07:41 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Actually my Bose sounds fairly decent in my 05 Touring. Could be better, but definately a lot better than the non-Bose thats for sure!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:02 PM
rrdugas

getting subs to sound right after you replace the deck in a factory amplified car is a pain in the ***. i used to have a dakota and it had some kind of ****-*** infinity stereo in it. put 2 tens under the rear seat, sounded great until i changed the deck, so i went out and got a bigger amp, then a bigger one with 2 new tens, still didn't cut it, ended up buying a kicker 12L7 and using my amp... **** loads of base but the speakers were always so far ahead of the sub, so i logically got another 12L7 and another big *** amp the then hooked my 2 tens back up under the seat, well, now it's time for a new alternator....... ok now it sounds gooood, but alas..... what is that i hear????? i just blew a door speaker, then another and another, blew all but one.

rewiring is a must!!!! but at least now my only problem is out of all this **** i have, what do i want to put in the Z!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 08:44 AM
ANXIOUZ

My only question is why would you get a Sony HU in a MT car that only works with the remote control?