Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

removing the rear cubby liners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:34 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default removing the rear cubby liners?

I want to know if there is an easy way to remove the felt covered liner from one of the rear storage pockets where I believe the factory puts the nav. DVD player or the CD changer. I just want to get one out to cut a hole in the bottom corner to run RCA's and power through to mount an equalizer in there once the liner is back in.
The liner seems to only be attached by the top but there is not much room beneath it. Open the door and wiggle it around a bit. I was just afraid if there are clips on the top there would not be enough room to pull the liner down then out or if the clips are just in the top in the back that I would be pulling in the wrong direction. Also I don't want to break anything around the little ratchet device in the top center that opens and closes the door when you push on it. If anybody has these out right now maybe you could just post a quick picture.
I guess if they don't just pop out I am going to drill through the floor from the underside as there are a couple of factory holes directly under them. I'll need to look at it a few more times with a mirror and feel around before I do it half-a$$ed though. I don't want to take the whole rear end apart including the dreaded rear speaker hump just to make one lousy hole.
thanks for your help.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:33 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

If I remember correctly, yes they do come out. the felt liner is part of the entire rectangular shaped compartment. If you pull on the compartment, the entire thing comes out. It is held in place by some snap-on clips. I took the entire back panel off to install some new speakers. It is a BITHC!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the two small pockets in the back?

Open the door and put your hand inside and press upwards while pulling outwards a bit. The thing will slide right out.

Here's what's left of my pocket after I got done with it.

The picture above shows the four clips that hold the thing in across the top.

I ended up cutting the back of the medal frame open a bit more and adding brackets back there to support the back of my CD player.

And my final effort.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:13 PM
bjr

Exactly!
I think the pictures are starting to sink in. So then there are 4 clips along the top lip facing the rear of the car. 2 on each side of the spring loaded door release. I put my hands inside the box pushing up on the top a little while pulling to the front of the car and that's it? Pull it out bascially.
Thank you!
By the way, how much of that first picture of yours shows stock liner with your changer? Maybe it will be more obvious when I look at it at work in the morning. My old home monitor is pretty dim for pics sometimes. It looks like maybe you salvaged the front framework and the door and put brackets in for your changer. I guess I should ask what you started out with. I have a base coupe with no options back there so I've got 2 nice big felt lined storage cubbys. I guess the instructions are the same no matter what!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:24 PM
bjr

Ha! Man I've got to learn to quit rambling. I just went out to the garage and did it. Easiest thing on the car. It takes a little technique to grab it just right. If you have touble pulling it straight out it does require a little upward motion at the lip and the felt is hard to grab. Use one hand up front if you have trouble and use the other hand in the back to pull forward. At the very back up top there are some slits in the liner to grip with your fingers and pull.
thanks again
good night
Old 08-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The black you see is the actual sides of the cubby still attached to the front. The CD-player is attached to the remains of the shell with the two screws on each side. I basically just took a Dremel tool to the top and bottom a bit at a time until I got the forward edge right. The picture with all the arrows points out the critical parts for the moving door of the CD cassette cover.

There are a couple of extra brackets added to the rear to hold the thing in from the back - no rattle and no way to pop the thing out of the front without pulling the back plastic panel out making it a bit harder to steal.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:48 PM
bjr

Good idea. Looks nice too.
I cut out some Lexan shaped to the side walls and the floor and will glue it tomorrow at work with the special bonding stuff we have. That way it will stay put in all directions. I screwed the EQ to the Lexan floor with the supplied brackets. It will fit solid but can pull right out if necessary. I think the location is going to work out pretty good back there for an EQ. I don't anticipate really needing to play around with the adjustments ever so the only disadvantage is the pushbutton for selecting the AUX source (for me a direct connection to my XM satellite portable) is somewhat behind me but I'll get used to it. There is also some unused space around the cubby boxes to mount little things if needed and route cables. The back of the cubby box just needs to be trimmed out some for wires to go through. I've slacked off on taking pictures so I'll have to get the camera out soon since I hope to have everything installed minus the sub by next weekend hopefully.
Thanks for the tip.