Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Headunit install-doesnt work/elec. gauge no work

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:58 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i finally figured it out! well for mine that is.. I had to trace everything from the battery to the headunit. thank goodness for the service manual. Okay so i traced the constant 12v.. and that's the radio fuse. Then I traced the other wire that blew from the battery, to the ignition on/acc switch, to the fuse box inside the car. That particular fuse powers up not only the radio, but the mirrors, and other accessories. That fuse is labeled MIRROR. WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT?????

check it out on yours to see if that's the problem! Let me know how it goes.

btw thanks for the complement.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:10 AM
no6thgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your ac is blowing because the white cable that plugs into that white box and the other end to the controls isnt plugged in right. When i unplugged the ac wire and turn ignition on ac blew full force. When i had the wiring harness and touched the ignition wire to the 12v batt wire the interior lights lit up for some reason.......but the headunit still didnt kick on.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:11 AM
no6thgear

cool ill check that out thanks!
Old 10-01-2005, 07:20 AM
no6thgear

My mirror fuse is blown also i didnt check every fuse in the box last night. im gonna find out if headunit works today once i replace fuse after work. thanks
Old 10-01-2005, 12:03 PM
gabez33

well I checked all the fuses and they are all good, everything still doesnt work. I even tried putting back the bose HU to see if that would fix anything and still nothing. I tried the ignition wire to the 12v and oddly enough all that did was make the radar detector come on with no key in the ignition...??!! Iam pretty sure the AC stuff is all in there right cause it has its own shape and only goes in one way, plus all I took off was the white ribbon connector from the dash ac control piece....am so freakin lost and I dont know what to do... if anyone has ANY other suggestion PLEASE advise....
Old 10-01-2005, 02:02 PM
AUTOSOUND21

Im an auto-electrician in England.You've some-how blown the acc +15 (ign wire) that turns the head unit one.If all the fuses are intact (in both fuse boxes) there must be whats called a fuse link somewhere protecting this curcuit.Pull back the red cover on the battery and examine any THIN wires coming off the + terminal.Because you can apply power to the wire and it doesnt short out anymore it IS telling me that it is a fuse or a fuse link that is blown.Disconnect the battery and REMOVE each fuse one by one and carefully examine it.The fuse my only have a crack in it or it has been a slow blow and the fuse may not look blown.Hope this helps...................
Old 10-01-2005, 02:22 PM
AUTOSOUND21

[QUOTE=AUTOSOUND21]Im an auto-electrician in England.You've some-how blown the acc +15 (ign wire) that turns the head unit one.If all the fuses are intact (in both fuse boxes) there must be whats called a fuse link somewhere protecting this curcuit.Pull back the red cover on the battery and examine any THIN wires coming off the + terminal.Because you can apply power to the wire and it doesnt short out anymore it IS telling me that it is a fuse or a fuse link that is blown.Disconnect the battery and REMOVE each fuse one by one and carefully examine it.The fuse my only have a crack in it or it has been a slow blow and the fuse may not look blown.Hope this helps...................also,just had athought...when your radar detector came on,you DIDNT have your key in the IGNITION ON position.Turn the key to on,and apply power to the wire.All should now work.Reason says that it should now work.If it doesnt,it would point to the White air con control unit being blown (UNLIKELY) or maybe the plugs at the back of it have come out or arent in properly.Im in the middle of a huge install in my 350 at the minute so im familier with the lot.The cars in my shop at the moment and in having sunday away from it as ive been working on it all week but will be back at it on monday.If you havnt worked out the fault, PM me on monday and i'll help you all i can.It really is something and nothing, def not serious.Hang in there fella!!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:06 PM
ClaytonC01

Originally Posted by no6thgear
I just reinstalled the factory headunit.....and it doesnt work. No fuse blown....it did have power because i could pop the cd out. But it wouldnt turn on.....i plugged in both wire harnesses. Gauge still doesnt work. wtf!?!?

this might sound crazy, but did you get an antennea extension plug for the new head unit?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:04 PM
gabez33

no I didnt, do you think that would make difference??
Old 10-04-2005, 12:34 PM
ClaytonC01

for some reason when i had my head unit out. it wouldnt turn on but would have power to eject cds. the ant. wasnt plugged in and that was the problem. so that might be yours.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:08 PM
gabez33

well In case anyone is still having problems with this, I took it into the dealership and they said the white ac amp box was blown. From what they told me its a very common thing with replacing the head unit in the Z. The guy told me that paticular part in on national back order cause its happend to so many people! And it has to come the actual nissan factory...But anyway the guy arranged to where it will be cover under my warranty...thank god.....