$500 - $700
22.35%
$700 - $1000
18.82%
$1000 - $1500
17.65%
Over $2000
10.59%
I will post the price i would pay for such a cool new toy!!
3.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

How Much would you pay for a compute in you car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 05:45 AM
roark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by chazzg
GREAT idea!!
Now i just have to work on that
There are already several web sites that rate POIs (Points of Interes) like www.frommers.com so your built in web browser already has that covered.

Since the existing NAV system display is already a standard RGB input, you could build a video switch and harness as an option for customers that already have NAV.

What do you plan to use as an input device? Wireless keyboard with integrated pointer? I've bought lots of these and still haven't found one I like. Let me know what you find.

Sounds like a great project. Keep us posted.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:35 AM
chazzg

the main interface will be a touchscreen or a Mounted track ball

the factory nave screen WILL NOT display a VGA computer screen so i dont think it will work with out a seperate Display
Old 12-30-2002, 09:21 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of screen are you gonna use? Will the computer be a 12V dc or 110V AC? Also what kinda of harddrive are you going to use, given the Z stiff ride, a typical internal HD might not surive the ride.

The PC option is way cool. I've been trying to come up with one for my Z. With usb ports you can easily add web cam by just plug and play.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:53 AM
chazzg

Originally posted by alphared
what kind of screen are you gonna use? Will the computer be a 12V dc or 110V AC? Also what kinda of harddrive are you going to use, given the Z stiff ride, a typical internal HD might not surive the ride.

The PC option is way cool. I've been trying to come up with one for my Z. With usb ports you can easily add web cam by just plug and play.

The Screen will be coustom made to fit the z cot will depend on # of orders

Power will be 12vdc and run of the car.

The hard drive will be a Improved Lap top HD in your chose of 20g,40g,or60g

there will be usb 2.0 and firewire
Old 12-30-2002, 12:20 PM
LithossZ

I've actually being thinking of doing something like that, though I probably won't do it for a long time. The biggest problem that came to my mind was the power. What kind of parts will u be using? To my knowledge all computer power supplies run off 120v AC from the wall, but the actual computer only need 12v max. How will u be getting the power from the battery of the car and splitting it up into the various voltages needed, ie 5.5v, 3v etc..? I was thinking that laptops probably use the right kind of parts, but im not very familiar with laptops at all. Looks like a cool project, keep us posted.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:22 PM
alear

You can power a car PC two ways. Run an inverter which changes 12V DC (from your battery) into 110V AC and run the computer normally or you can buy a DC-DC converter and power it that way. The inverter way is an unnecessary step in my mind but usually a little cheaper for bigger computers.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:38 PM
JZC

I'd buy.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Zspot

Default Another option

You could always buy an "already configured" autopc

http://www.gnetcanada.com

Almost every feature mentioned so far is available in their PC's.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:24 AM
chazzg

Mine sould Sale for much Less, and fit the Z like OEM
Old 04-28-2003, 05:44 PM
chadg

Thumbs up Most incredible wireless mouse/keyboard

I have been looking for a great wireless mouse/keyboard combination for a long time (from my home audio system) and I found it! Check out:

http://www.gyration.com

The mouse has a built in gyro, so all you do is move it up down left or right in mid air to move the mouse! I did not think it would work well, but it works outstanding!

If you don't like that then just rest it on your leg. It then operates like an optical mouse.

It also has a compact keyboard to go along with it. Check it out.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Charles: Don't want to hijack your thread here, but how goes it with our pre-orders?
Old 04-30-2003, 09:14 PM
akared

Really interested in the computer, but not able to afford it now. Maybe in a couple months . Looks like a sweet deal though. Keep us posted.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:37 PM
jcr847

Default cost

im very interested. How cheap are you talking, 1500 on thaqt site seems cheap when you consider what it would take to replicate the set up. (jenwood music keg = 800 in dash dvd/tuner/reciever/screen=2300) this is only 1500 and a screen can be had for like 500 or less (to fit in nav slot). Plus this set up lets you play media files on your comp without converting to vcd (im a huge fan of family guy/ southpark on my comp). Well, im in, just let me know the specs/cost
Old 05-13-2003, 05:23 PM
dbpoet

You left off not a dime. I have my PC in my house, why would I possibly want one in my car. When I'm in my car I want to drive.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Keven

Default Question about amendment to the software

I talked to the best programmer I know today (I'm blessed to have access to such a fine mind). My question: "would it be possible to incorporate a radar detection system into an automobile's onboard PC."

His answer: yes, more than possible - if it's a Linux based system it's actually easy. Would require a little coding and the addition of an external detector linked into the right place in the hardware.

Now that I know it's technically possible to accomplish, could/would this be a consideration of the system you are building? Which, btw, I'm interested in already!

Thanks ...
Old 06-17-2003, 01:53 PM
drdisco

Your system sounds like something I could be very interested in. Would it require that you have the nav system in your car already? I wasn't planning on buying the nav system but this might change my mind.

Just a side note, if you are to the point of producing a system like this you may have already seen these sites but just in case, check out digital jetta's site at http://www.geocities.com/ppgt1994/jetta/ or for a linux setup www.dashpc.com
Old 06-20-2003, 10:14 AM
harrjar

Default Warantee?

Chazzg

It doesn't seem like the addition of this system should affect the factory warrantee. If so, then I would recommend your design take that into account so as not to have warrantee conflicts.

Secondly, how will you guarantee your work? Will you offer a year or two of parts and labor or is this a buy at your own risk situation?

I would be willing to pay more if I was able to see a unit in person and you gave a solid return policy/product guarantee/warrantee.

I would probably still buy if you didn't offer that but would pay much less. I've built every computer I've ever owned so I considered building one for my car. I really don't have the time though.

Keep on this project, you have some great ideas. I just need an assurance of a professional, quality product before I give you my money.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:32 AM
chazzg

Default Re: Warantee?

Originally posted by harrjar
Chazzg

It doesn't seem like the addition of this system should affect the factory warrantee. If so, then I would recommend your design take that into account so as not to have warrantee conflicts.

Secondly, how will you guarantee your work? Will you offer a year or two of parts and labor or is this a buy at your own risk situation?

I would be willing to pay more if I was able to see a unit in person and you gave a solid return policy/product guarantee/warrantee.

I would probably still buy if you didn't offer that but would pay much less. I've built every computer I've ever owned so I considered building one for my car. I really don't have the time though.

Keep on this project, you have some great ideas. I just need an assurance of a professional, quality product before I give you my money.

This is an old thread. many units have been sold already. The only part of the Factory Warranty that is affected is for the Stereo(most people just splice into the headunit wires) but that is easy to get around if you just hook it up to the Batt. I give a 1 year parts and labor Warranty on most of my systems. the only one i dont offer Warranty on are one that are Custom and/or missing parts) some people like to put in there own HDD and Ram. Just check around with some othe members like All_bark or Dr. Bonz to see if you can see the unit in person.

if you have any more questions just e-mail me
zzgibson@sbcglobal.net
Attached Thumbnails How Much would you pay for a compute in you car?-pict0760-small-.jpg  
Old 06-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

harrjar: This computer is fantastic! I have had mine in now for about a month and I LOVE IT! Chazz is ALWAYS available for any questions and tech support as well. I see you are in Vegas so you won't be able to see mine in person but feel free to look at my install thread that has all this pics in it.

My Z-PC Install with Pics

DrDisco: You do not have to have the Nav system in your car. In fact if you already have it, this would be a big "waste" of money. I put waste in quotes because you would have already spent nearly $2000 on it as an option when you bought the car and this unit functions not only as a Nav system but as a PC, MP3 Player, Jukebox (with 40 GB of storage), a DVD player, video game unit, and if you want, an OBD II unit, and TV tuner. You can even incorporate an XM satellite radio into the unit now since XM has gone the PC unit route as well.

If you are on the fence about getting this unit from Chazz, all I can say is that it is a top notch product and I am COMPLETELY satisfied with it.

OK Chazz, can I have my endorsement check now?
Old 06-21-2003, 01:01 PM
chazzg

It is in the Mail

Quick Reply: How Much would you pay for a compute in you car?