Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Show me your center channel setup!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Blue Komodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Show me your center channel setup!

OK guys, like the title says. I'm trying to figure out how to install a 5.25" mid and a 1" tweeter in the factory nav space. Centering the tweeter is a pain in the ***. I need some ideas, help a brotha' out.

Last edited by Blue Komodo; 11-09-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Blue Komodo

Wow. You guys suck.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:08 PM
jdg345

I'd answer, but busy wiping my chin ... :lol:
Old 11-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Why not get a single din speaker? Or, if you want to put it in the nav., just use a coax speaker. Better yet, a 3" coax speaker. That would fit nicely.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:02 AM
classic6

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/128807-alpine-center-channel.html

here is the alpine center channel din size.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a car?

Show me your speaker set-ups with the driver and passenger in the middle of a nice triangle AND avoid early reflections (like firing a tweeter into the side of a foot!) and then lets talk about center channel speakers.

Are you using a discrete or matrix decoder for your surround system? Most music isn't set up for Dolby Pro-Logic.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:14 PM
jdg345

I was figuring it would be more for DVD Movies ... ? But you're right ... the 'aiming' is probably going to be way off ...
Old 11-12-2005, 05:42 PM
350xfire

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
OK guys, like the title says. I'm trying to figure out how to install a 5.25" mid and a 1" tweeter in the factory nav space. Centering the tweeter is a pain in the ***. I need some ideas, help a brotha' out.
I don't see a 5.25" going in there. I have a 4" MB Quart I just installed and it is a very tight fit. I put a component set 4" with tweeter on a wooden plate and glued the plate on. I just have to build a cover for it.
A 3.5" would be better.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by jdg345
I was figuring it would be more for DVD Movies ... ? But you're right ... the 'aiming' is probably going to be way off ...
Cool the center speaker will help out a bunch. It's kind of odd watching a DVD with the sound off to the left and right a couple of feet.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Blue Komodo

Cool guys, finally some feedback. OK, yes it's for surround sound. The 5.25 will fit, I just have to figure out how to mount it and center the tweet. I'm thinking to glass it with an MDF ring for the woofer, and some kind of floating design to have the tweet in front of or above the mid. The processor is the Alpine PXA-H701. This thing fricken sick! I've got a Harman Kardon amp with a Lexicon processor, running PSB Stratus speakers at home, and I'm hearing things in the car that I have'nt heard before. In home theater, your center and processor are everything. That's why I wanted a better center setup. On a side note, has anyone tried to build this box? I tried but guessed the angles wrong and it won't go together properly. Does anyone know the correct angles? I used 33 and 56 degrees. It' a Roadster, so have to use the factory location. I might test something in the trunk, just to see if the bass will come through. Thanks to guys who are posting ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your center channel setup!-dsc02561.jpg   Show me your center channel setup!-dsc02564.jpg   Show me your center channel setup!-my-box-dimensions.jpg   Show me your center channel setup!-dsc02560.jpg   Show me your center channel setup!-dsc02563.jpg  

Old 11-13-2005, 06:46 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

The bass will come through the trunk. But it takes a lot. I have 2 12" back there and it hits pretty hard. I have a plan in the works though. It involves porting the box through a series of pieces of PVC pipe which will rout through the soft-top storage area and will enter the cabin through the rear speaker location(don't need rear speakers anyway). It should add quite a bit of boom when I'm done. This project won't be underway until late december when I get some time though,
Old 11-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
The bass will come through the trunk. But it takes a lot. I have 2 12" back there and it hits pretty hard. I have a plan in the works though. It involves porting the box through a series of pieces of PVC pipe which will rout through the soft-top storage area and will enter the cabin through the rear speaker location(don't need rear speakers anyway). It should add quite a bit of boom when I'm done. This project won't be underway until late december when I get some time though,
Wow dude, that sounds crazy. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Yea, it'll be an interesting project to say the least. Probably require a lot of cutting and what not. But I'm up for the challenge! I'm going to be building a fiberglass box at the same time and I get to use all the airspace in the PVC to make my actual box even smaller(always a plus in a roadster).
Old 11-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Blue Komodo

You know,... I just realized that I put the front of the box on wrongly. This thing may be salvageable (that can't be spelled right, but oh well).
Old 11-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Blue Komodo

OK. I finally had time today to figure out my center setup. I also got the back of the box put together properly, but changed the sides. I think it works better like this. For such a small box, it makes surprisingly deep clear bass. Now I just have to find a way to cover up the center and I'm done.

Pix.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your center channel setup!-dsc02575.jpg   Show me your center channel setup!-dsc02573.jpg   Show me your center channel setup!-dsc02570.jpg   Show me your center channel setup!-dsc02568.jpg  
Old 11-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Although I noticed you are using a 5" inch single speaker, I thought this might help others that are faced with the samme dilemna. When it came time to install my center channel speaker, there was quite a bit of debate on where to install it. BTW, I was using a setup that created a "phantom" center channel through the use of Alpine's PXAH701 Processor.

Initially I was hoping to install a pair of 3.5" speakers into the dash on each side of the center console. Unfortunately that didn't work because the airbag could be a potential risk as there was also a question of space to mount two speaker "boxes".

Second thought was to redo the sunglasses holder/map light console, build a speaker box and have the speaker fire down. The problem with that was I already had my Alpine Processor built up there plus from an acoustic standpoint, it would suffer.

The third thought was to mount it the way that you appear to be going in your pictures, however I already have my monitor mounted there. In addition, it was determined that again, the sound would suffer acoustically.

Your setup looks excellent, but the only problem is that your center channel will be arriving at your right ear about the same time as the right door speaker. A true center channel should really arrive at both ears at the same time. A minor technicality that was "forced" down my throat!

The final solution, after much deliberation with the installers (Nazar and Justin of Wicked CAS) and a acoustic engineer friend at Boston Acoustics was to mount two 2.5" speakers at ~45 degree angles that pointed up toward the windshield that would then disperse the sound across the windshield. Unfortunately this entailed rebuilding the center console so that a speaker box of sufficient volume could be built into it. Unfortunately I don't have a very good picture of the speakers inside the "hole", but it is truly incredible work for them to fit them in and to provide excellent sound.

Last edited by Anyone2u; 11-19-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:05 PM
350xfire

[QUOTE=Blue Komodo]OK. I finally had time today to figure out my center setup. I also got the back of the box put together properly, but changed the sides. I think it works better like this. For such a small box, it makes surprisingly deep clear bass. Now I just have to find a way to cover up the center and I'm done.

How about building a frame like you did at the bottom of the center console hole, then taking the cubby hole's door and trimming the inside off so you end up with a frame. Then take the frame and cover in speaker grill cloth and mount with velcro on the fabricated frame around the inside of the console. This way you will end up with a nice contoured shape for the grill.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Blue Komodo

[QUOTE=350xfire]
Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
OK. I finally had time today to figure out my center setup. I also got the back of the box put together properly, but changed the sides. I think it works better like this. For such a small box, it makes surprisingly deep clear bass. Now I just have to find a way to cover up the center and I'm done.

How about building a frame like you did at the bottom of the center console hole, then taking the cubby hole's door and trimming the inside off so you end up with a frame. Then take the frame and cover in speaker grill cloth and mount with velcro on the fabricated frame around the inside of the console. This way you will end up with a nice contoured shape for the grill.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's something I had'nt thought of. I was thinking to lace the area with masking tape, glass it, cut out the door, cut a large circle in the center of it, put speaker grill material on the inside, do the frame and velco thing, and try to make it look as stock as possible.
Do you know where I can get the grill material?

Hey Anyone2, your center setup fricking SICK! What did all of that cost? I'm trying to do everything myself to avoid big install money, but I guess you really do get what you pay for.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:40 PM
BoostTed

here's mine. Like others said center ch's suck for music. I only used it for moves etc. For music i had a 3way focal utopia setup up front.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:00 AM
KhanMan13AK

^^ God DAYUM that is phat... much props

Quick Reply: Show me your center channel setup!