Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Delphi XM Radio Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 03:58 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delphi XM Radio Installed

Finally got the FM Modulator and was able to install the Delphi unit, the antenna is on the stru bar and reception is pretty good even with titanium tint. Here is a shot during day.
Attached Thumbnails Delphi XM Radio Installed-xmday.jpg  
Old 01-07-2003, 03:59 PM
westpak
SFZCC

And here is one at night.
Attached Thumbnails Delphi XM Radio Installed-xmnight.jpg  
Old 01-07-2003, 05:16 PM
bsantini

Looks great! I was thinking the same thing on the stock radio. How does it sound relative to FM and CD's? I was suprised by the difference in quality between FM and CD's on the stock HU.

Tx
Old 01-07-2003, 07:27 PM
westpak
SFZCC

The sound is pretty good, not quite like CD but better than FM, i wish thta you could direct connect, maybe we can use the CD changer connectors, food for thought. But I agree on how much better CD's sound than radio.

I really like the variety of music on XM.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:44 PM
pdtsyzygy

Is the vehicle cradle for the unit sunk into the bottom of the nav pocket or just you do some custom wiring? Can the unit still be removed from the car easily for use in a home cradle?

I have been using the Delphi for about a week, and love it, but haven't installed the car kit yet. Problem is, I have an iPod, full phone kit, and the Delphi, so I need to find places to mount these things or I'm going to look like Batman.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:24 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I cut a hole in the NAV pocket so the bottom part of the cradle would fit into and the connections would be underneath hidden away. The unit goes in and out of the cradle easily, I cut the hole so the cradle would fit flat against the back of the NAV hole and used the two sided tape to adhere it and it holds great.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:43 PM
DiverDown

Where exactly did you mount the antenna on the strut bar? is it toward the middle or were you able to position it closer to one side as not to interfere with the the looks of the "Z" logo on the bar?

I will have mine installed on Friday and the installers were actually talking about finding a way to place the antenna under the plastic over the bar!!! I would LOVE this but who knows if it will work.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:54 AM
westpak
SFZCC

It is on the black plastic on top just a couple of inches from the silver, as for being under the plastic I don't know how that will affect the reception, you might want to put it on and cover it up to see before installing under plastic.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:48 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I used the Skyfi FM modulator for the Delphi unit, it had been delayed for a couple of months but finally was released.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:19 PM
dczoner

westpak,

I just did the same exact job on my car. I ended up using a dremel tool to cut the hole, so it was pretty quick & easy and looks bitchin.

I am however, experiencing a technical difficulty, which I'm wondering if you've had any experience with. I'll turn my system on, tune in to my FM station, the reception is fine (a little dissapointed in the output level of the unit, but oh well). After the system warms up (sometimes as quickly as 5 seconds) my left channel fades out, leaving only my right side playing.

Have you ever heard of this?!? I've tried calling 1877GODELPHI but their tech support line is impossible to get a hold of (I've literally been hung up on 3 times by their automated system). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS - where'd you put the FM Modulator? I ended up sticking it to the inner panel of the steering column for the time being.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:47 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I don't have the fading problem it sounds just fine. I located the modulator in the center console behind the A/C controls plenty of room there.

As for the output I am assuming you are talking about loudness, have you used the settings menu to increase the output of the unit? I have it to max and the sound is at the same level as CD's.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:01 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Warning, do not put behind the A/C controls, I jhad it on the metal and it gets extremely hot there. Today was the first time I was out for a long drive and within 30-45 minutes the XM would shut off, I think the FM Modulator was overheating.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Michael Riiehl

Default FM Modulator

Where is the best place then to place the FM Modulator ? Also to add a two part question, has anyone been able to stealth the speakers in the strut bar with good reception ?
Old 04-28-2003, 07:23 PM
plan_Z

Default another Delphi install option

Since I have a NAV, I had to install the Delphi unit in the console behind the shifter. I removed the ashtray/coin box and built a Lexan bracket then installed the SkyFi unit there. The antenna is mounted on the rear strut bridge and the FM Modulator is mounted in the console behind the A/C controls, but as far back as possible...haven't had any problems with cutting off due to heat.

I did experience the loss of channel (mine was on the right) and it was the connections to the FM Modulator...connection came loose.

Here's the pics:
Old 12-01-2003, 08:04 AM
zul8ter

oh nice pics.....jk

yea that is the same thing i want to do with my delphi westpak..it's nice to be able to see what you want to do before you do it. nice work
kevin
Old 12-02-2003, 02:51 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. Would be cool if someone would come up with a retrofit trim piece to allow the receiver to just pop into the NAV compartment. Where did the FM modulator end up Westpak?
Old 12-02-2003, 02:43 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by jmark
Looks good. Would be cool if someone would come up with a retrofit trim piece to allow the receiver to just pop into the NAV compartment. Where did the FM modulator end up Westpak?
When you have the center console off there is a small pocket about halfway up to the right and it just fit in there, I have not had any more overheating problems with it.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:13 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Westpak,

Am I correct in saying there is just one connection from the receiver to the modulator & one to the antenna. No connection to the stock radio.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:41 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by jmark
Westpak,

Am I correct in saying there is just one connection from the receiver to the modulator & one to the antenna. No connection to the stock radio.
Yes, the only connection with the receiver is the antenna.

The modulator has a plug to go into the receiver antenna hole and a harness to connect to the cradle and power.

Quick Reply: Delphi XM Radio Installed