Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Anyone that has sub behind driver seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Daytona350Texas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone that has sub behind driver seat

I was curious the sound, quality, feel etc. I think it would be a dead place to use a sub as apposed to it hitting the hatch. I used to have 2 12s pushing in a 92 camaro and it sounded great against hatch.... but ive been noticing lately Zs with subs behind the seats (pointing directly at seat) wondering if it even sounds good
Old 01-09-2006, 08:01 PM
visionboy

Originally Posted by Daytona350Texas
I was curious the sound, quality, feel etc. I think it would be a dead place to use a sub as apposed to it hitting the hatch. I used to have 2 12s pushing in a 92 camaro and it sounded great against hatch.... but ive been noticing lately Zs with subs behind the seats (pointing directly at seat) wondering if it even sounds good

I have it..but it's in a roadster so i had no choice. It sounds alot better than stock for sure...its good if u want to save space or have it hidden. I've heard it doesnt sound very good in coupe though..just make sure if u put a sub there...make sure it's in a custom made enclosure
Old 01-10-2006, 05:19 AM
pingrr

I have a basslink behind the seat. I think it sounds prety good. The bass has a fuller sound in the pasenger seat thoug.

Just keep in mind that you won't get the same impact that you would from two subs in a trunk box.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:51 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 10" sub behind my seat and its great. Just be sure to get the bose cover if you are planning on putting it inside the cubby.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:13 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 10" sub behind my seat and its great. Just be sure to get the bose cover if you are planning on putting it inside the cubby.
+1.. I got a 10" Xplode behind the seat with JBL 500 WT amp in the glove box. Be careful though, not all 10" will fit. I had a Punch and it was too small even though it was 10".

While it is 100X better than stock, if you **** about your system and want thug booming it's not for you. It is an open space hole, not sealed so it's not going to sound awesome, but it does give the stock system a really good kick. Great for punch and punk, not for rap. If you would seal the slace with FG or something im sure quality would go up, but it wasn't worth my time, I have better things to do with the Z than a 100LB system, just wanted the kick that the stock system was lacking...
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 AM
350ztoronto

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFaster
+1.. I got a 10" Xplode behind the seat with JBL 500 WT amp in the glove box. Be careful though, not all 10" will fit. I had a Punch and it was too small even though it was 10".

While it is 100X better than stock, if you **** about your system and want thug booming it's not for you. It is an open space hole, not sealed so it's not going to sound awesome, but it does give the stock system a really good kick. Great for punch and punk, not for rap. If you would seal the slace with FG or something im sure quality would go up, but it wasn't worth my time, I have better things to do with the Z than a 100LB system, just wanted the kick that the stock system was lacking...
so u didn't make a custom enclosure? how does it sound? im gonna do the same thing but im too lazy to make one cept im gonna dynamatt the hell outta it =/
Old 01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
KShep

It'll sound O-k, and way better than the little pancake OE sub. But as stated above, you really need to FG an enclosure for the best effect from that location. Also keep in mind that the GAS tank is right behind that metal panel in there.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:38 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think if i were to do this in a coupe, i would build a pressure plate infront of the sub abuot 3inches for a 10, so it has something to bounce off of, similar idea as ground loading in home subwoofers...
Old 01-10-2006, 08:51 AM
zmespeed

i was dead set on having it there to save space. but honestly it does not sound that good. so i put it in the floor under the strut bar with some bars to protect it. another good spot is a fiberglass box in the corner.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:32 AM
xedes

I have the sub behind the driver seat too, and i think it sounds like crap. Maybe because i'm tall, so i need the seat moved back, but it just vibrates against the back of the seat. I'm looking to take it out and relocate the subs to the back. JL audio makes a stealth box that fits in the back that looks good and sounds great. Best of all, it does not take up the entire trunk. Cost=$800, comes w/ 2x10in.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Daytona350Texas

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFaster

i dont have the stock sub behind my seat.... so it would be implanting one in there for the first time, just so yall know
Old 01-11-2006, 06:28 PM
sundevil67

Default Subs behind the driver's seat

Wow, you guys are scaring me now. I was planning on getting 2 8" JL subs installed behind the driver's seat in like 2 weeks. I was sure about this location because there is really just no place else to put it - I am just not willing to give up any hatch space because I fill it up constantly. The Z is my daily driver and I just need that space, whatever little there is. Are you guys saying that it's really bad? I don't need to wake up the neighborhood, and listen to mostly metal and hard rock. Once in a while I like my bass to rumble though. What about this guy here? These sure look great - and with all that dynamat? What if you fill it with fiberglass and seal it off real good?

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....peaker+install
Old 01-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Racerinlsl

sundevil,
Don't worry about it. go w/ the stock location if you wish. That's where I'd do it. Sure, it may be louder in the hatch, but there's nothing wrong w/ the stock spot. I have a '93 mr2 w/ a 10" behind each seat...even less airspace than the z, and it sounds just fine.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:04 PM
WhiteZed

the stock spot is crap..

i have a 8" bazooka tube and it sounds good,
good is all it gets.. better then stock tho

but on testing it, the tube sounds at least twice as good in the trunk ..

so its a pretty big differance ...

naturally im not going to put a bazooka tube in the trunk cause that would just look stupid....

so try look for a way to get a sub in the trunk ...
Old 01-13-2006, 04:05 PM
marlinsfan

Originally Posted by WhiteZed
the stock spot is crap..
Agreed, I had my sub there for 2 weeks, then bought a custom box on e-bay and moved it to under the strut bar. Sounds a million times better when it faces the rear of the car.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:47 PM
sundevil67

wow. I think the only other option for me would be the stealthbox - though I think that would just take up too much space. Dammit.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Suretu

I dunno, I don't think the stock location is as bad is it's being made out to be. I had a custom enclosure built for the stock location, and I'm reasonably happy with it.
The Z is my daily driver, and I can't afford to completely give up any practicality it might have by occupying the hatch with a sub!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:10 PM
sundevil67

Default Subwoofer

Originally Posted by Suretu
I dunno, I don't think the stock location is as bad is it's being made out to be. I had a custom enclosure built for the stock location, and I'm reasonably happy with it.
The Z is my daily driver, and I can't afford to completely give up any practicality it might have by occupying the hatch with a sub!

I think I am in the same boat - do you have any pics of your installation?
Old 01-18-2006, 07:21 PM
sorphin

Well, I have a roadster, and unless i want everyone else to hear the bass except me by putting it in what little trunk i actually have, I was considering the stock sub space, maybe w/ a JL 10w3 or 10w6.. unless someone has better thoughts..
Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 PM
visionboy

Originally Posted by sorphin
Well, I have a roadster, and unless i want everyone else to hear the bass except me by putting it in what little trunk i actually have, I was considering the stock sub space, maybe w/ a JL 10w3 or 10w6.. unless someone has better thoughts..
sorry bud, you're stuck with the stock sub location...it's not all that bad though

Quick Reply: Anyone that has sub behind driver seat