Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

GTech Pro RR installed... Verdict: Neato!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 06:54 PM
SmokyTyrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTech Pro RR installed... Verdict: Neato!

Hey folks

Finally got the GTech installed tonight! I have to say it is very, very cool. I’m not able to do full accel runs yet, nor will those be helpful until I have an official dyno to see what the Gtech’s error rate is… but just tooling around the city streets is pretty neat stuff already!

First of all I now know it works by detecting ignition noise in the electrical system. The noisiest spot on a car (apparently) is the cig-lighter/power plug. And voila...

It reads rpms dead-on. The G-force gauges seem to be quite accurate. I can’t know for sure, but they are at rest when at rest, they know the right direction, and they are certainly not exaggerating data. I pulled a very hard turn from a stop earlier and it registered about 0.63g lateral. I think I know about what a couple G’s feels like from amusement park rides so it seems like a plausible reading.

Even cooler is the fact that you can do data logging. Road race logging is the neatest part because you just press the record button and it records everything you do until you stop it or until the memory runs out (I think it has memory enough for several minutes of laps). I’ve attached a screenshot showing an example of the output. This is very short jaunt from outside the neighborhood to the street in front of my house. You can see I’m staying under 4k rpms as I’m still in break-in. J

The logging mode will do a playback at any speed, and even simulate engine sounds so you have a bearing of where the graph is during the run. I am VERY impressed with this little tool. The device is easy to read, easy to use, and scores a 1000 on the cool-gadget meter. And it's useful! Even the software is very professional. The Gtech has come a looong way!

It has real-time displays of all kinds. You can see an analog tach with a g-meter. You can see a digital tach readout with dual g-meter bargraphs (long and lateral). This one is my favorite. Very fun, dynamic display. And like a graphic-eq, the g-meter graphs tag the highest recorded g with a tick-mark on the graph. That’s nice because you don’t feel like you have to stare at it in a turn to see it work. It reminds me of my Dad's 84 300ZX Turbo Aniv. Ed. which had the killer digital dash and that big g-force gauge. That thing mesmerized me as a kid.

Best part is the amber display matches the Z’s dash lights PERFECTLY.

Anyways, I’m digging it!

The install isn't 100% yet, but it's solid, easy to see and read, and concealed when the cubby is closed. Good enuf for now!

Some photos (apologies for blurry night shots but they convey the idea):

And a screenshot of some sample output:

This was a Xmas present from my wife. Good present!!!

Cheers,
-Smoky
Old 02-06-2006, 10:14 AM
ghost11

price? is this similar to the APEXi?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 AM
dream724Z

That is awesome! Hopefully your car is stock and you are at the start of many upgrades? With this instrumentation one could capture reference Gs/distance/RPM/times down a straight/level road after each upgrade (exhaust, intake, spacer, pulley, chip, FI, cams). For consistent results the benchmarks should be run in the cool morning, and on a full tank of gas. The resulting data would provide insight to the option's impact beyond the garage dynos.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a G-tech also...great investment....

Hp/TQ are not very accurate...Once it said I pushed 400lbs of torque!!!

remember to check the G-Tech website for firmware upgrades.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 AM
SmokyTyrz

Thx Netko... I've been watching the firmware versions... I'm going to hold off upgrading just yet as the GTech forums hint as some possible calibration issues with the latest firmware. But they may just be flukes, and the firmware is fine anyway. Still..I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" guy, so I'll wait until the next firmware at least.

I figure the hp and tq calculatins would be off, but I didn't think it would be that much! If it were within 20hp of a dyno reading then I would be impressed.

Really the main reason I got it is just for fun, and for the G-meters. I love having a G-meter in the car. It gives you just enough feedback that you can begin to better gauge how hard you can take certain corners. Even if there is an error in the calculation, as long as the measures are reliable then it's very useful for that purpose.

But all else aside it's just nifty.