Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

sub location ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 01:31 PM
eliminate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sub location ??

well, first off let me say i have experiance with diffrent systems but i wanna know how subs sound in the stock location for the most part, i know free air subs will sound nice but not too loud, any 1 with custom boxes? what subs did you use, and how do they sound?

i was pondering what i am going to do eventualy, ive tryed 2 basslinks but that did not satisfy my need for bass, i currently have 2 10'' bazooka bass tubes independantly powered by a 1200 watt amp. the subs handle 500 watts rms and im giving them pretty close to, if not more than that power. for it to play clear id have to dynomat my whole car which i am reluctant to do at this time coz of the weight issue, its fine for now but it rattles pretty much everything that could rattle if i turn it up. eventualy im going to put in a full custom system but im undecident what to do,

i have 3 ideas so far,

1. 1 10'' in the stock location with a custom enclosure
2. 2 10''s built into the strut bar, subs under it actualy facing the back
3. 1 12 or 13.5'' w7 built into my spare tire area firing upwards

i want clear LOW bass, loud but not muddy, but it dosent have to be ridicliously loud like my older systems that use to set off car alarms.... but now im getting off topic, basicly i just want people with diffrent systems to get back to me and let me know how there subs sound in thoes locations. any feedback is appreciated
Old 01-26-2003, 01:39 PM
maximadave

Do 1 JL 10W3v2 for tight clean low bass. Make sure you build a custom enclosure for it. Check out the other threads on this subject. Alot of pics have been shown on custom sub enclosures
Old 01-27-2003, 02:19 PM
OMEGATLC

I just had a new system installed with one Kenwood DB 10" sub in a custom enclosure facing towards the rear. I like the 10" for tight bass with a small footprint, not to mention cost savings. The enclosure is located under the strut bar.

Your idea of having 2 10"s under the strut bar firing rearward would be awsome. It seems to be what the installers think is best for this vehicle as it leaves room for the base to resonate rearward, then travel throughout the Z's interior.

The only challenge with having the sub in the stock location, even if fully enclosed in a custom box, is that it is firing directly into your back and leaves little room for the base to resonate properly. And with the 12 in the spare tire area??? You never know when you don't have time to wait for a tow if you have a blowout.

The installers also said as a general rule, 12" go lower, 10" hit harder/tighter. Hope this helps some.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:17 AM
j's350z

I have 1 10" Kicker L7 square solobaric with 400 watts @ 2 Ohms going into it and it hits HARD. It is in a custom box in the spare tire well firing straight up. This sub can handle up to 1000 watts and with only 400 going into it, I can't see out of any of my mirrors or catch my breath....
Old 01-28-2003, 05:19 AM
j's350z

Default Eliminate

I just noticed your in NJ, If you want to check out my system, I would be more than happy to meet up. I work in New Brunswick and live in East Brunswick....
PM me or email me @ jays350z@aol.com