Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Omnifi = Garbage

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 02:58 PM
sundevil67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omnifi = Garbage

A while back I bragged somewhere on this board that I had found a great solution to listening to MP3 files in my car, and didn't have to worry about installing my ipod or anything. Now that I have had some time to try to use this thing, I wish I would have just burned all of my mp3s to CDs and carried them individually in my car in their jewel cases, because that would be more convenient than his stupid omnifi thing. Not only is it over complicated, but just near impossible to even operate. I bought the home unit and the car unit, and both are paperweights as of this moment. The software is terrible, and the main selling point was that it could sync your mp3 collection wirelessly when you pull into the garage. Yeah right! The support staff (what's left of it, since they discontinued the product) advises me not to even use that feature because it is so troublesome and slow. Now I just found out that it won't play iTunes or any other file that isn't a standard mp3 - which would be fine if it just ignored those files. Nope, you have to actually go into your collection and pick out those offending files (I have God knows how many over 20GB of mp3s) and keep them separate from the rest. The home unit is also a hunk of crap, and I just about have given up trying to play mp3s through my stereo with it. I apologize profusely to anyone that followed my lead and bought this garbage. No wonder they discontinued it. It was a good idea, but the implementation is absolutely horrible. Just burn MP3 CDs.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:17 PM
rmesola

go to itunes, select all music files and click convert to mp3...

never use the wireless thing....piece of crap...

download the linux aftermarket software...

cross your fingers and say a prayer....

the concept is good, the implementation was substandard but at 100 bucks a piece, it's not a bad alternative if you know how to work around the problems...
Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i remember talking to you when we were both just getting ours, i know it isn't as easy as i would like, but i have learned how to use it and just ordered a second one from someone else here,
i would like to know where you got the other software, is it "drop and drag" ?
Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 PM
jdohman

the omnifi is one of the main reasons rockford is in such horrible shape right now.. they focued so much on that project and it was a big fat flop
Old 03-08-2006, 06:03 PM
rmesola

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=143150

it's called openfi
Old 03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you
Old 03-08-2006, 06:36 PM
sundevil67

I would love to be able to just junk Simplecenter and use Itunes with my Mac. I will check into this Linux option. Thanks for the help. One of the main reasons I am so frustrated is because my faceplate is detached right now, preventing me from even using it. This is because my genius installer decided to install it in such a way that if you accidentally hit the "eject" button, you have to then disassemble the entire car to put it back in place. Ugh.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:00 PM
rmesola

you can try using a piece of floss tied around the receptor bracket and then use that to pull it towards the faceplate when you push the faceplate back in...you'll need to be creative fishing the floss through, but it should do the trick...