Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stock Audio Question (tweeter/crossover)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Doktor_Chuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Audio Question (tweeter/crossover)

Hi There

I've just upgraded the stereo from stock (base, non-bose). 4 speakers and head unit. I used the existing stock wires for all the speakers. I was suprised to hear that the tweeters are still working and my question is: is there a stock crossover system from the HU to the door speakers.

My new speakers are 2-way and I'd prefer not to use the tweeters, especially if the quality of the other stock speakers are anything to go by. Alternatively I could get new tweets and a crossover.

This has kind of confused me, I searched the forums and looked at other posts, but could not find what I was looking for.

TIA
Old 07-27-2006, 05:10 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bsically, from waht i can see, thes tock system works like this:

from the ehadunit, ONE pair of speaker wires goes into the door, full range. this wire splits into two FULL RANGE pair of wires via plug, one pairs goes into the stock midbass whcih acutally plays full range i think, the other full range pair of wires goes into the tweeter, where a cheap cap acts as a bass blocker/high pass.

unless there are some hidden crossovers in the stock door i dont see, this seems to be the way it goes...i think...
Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Doktor_Chuckles

Thanx 16

Sounds like it's gonna do something weird with the impedence -- depending on whether it's in series or parallel.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:50 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure if I understand your question but if you want to stop using the factory tweeters, unplug them. About 2" down from where they are mounted inside the door panel there is a two pin connector. Unplug it so you can use the other two pin down by the 6.5" speaker for your new set of speakers only. Hope this helps
Old 07-27-2006, 10:54 PM
dannichols

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
bsically, from waht i can see, thes tock system works like this:

from the ehadunit, ONE pair of speaker wires goes into the door, full range. this wire splits into two FULL RANGE pair of wires via plug, one pairs goes into the stock midbass whcih acutally plays full range i think, the other full range pair of wires goes into the tweeter, where a cheap cap acts as a bass blocker/high pass.

unless there are some hidden crossovers in the stock door i dont see, this seems to be the way it goes...i think...
Yep, I've taken out those stock tweeters. The crossover is part of it, a small capacitor on the back of the tweeter. Full range is being sent to your new replacement speaker, and since it's coaxial, you are good to go.