Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Factory Sirius/XM Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:16 AM
RockerNJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Sirius/XM Swap

Hey all, just picked up an 06 Touring last night. It came with factory Sirius, and I'd prefer XM(O&A fan).

My questions are:

Is this just a module behind the radio?
Are they interchangeable?
If so, anyone want to trade their XM for my Sirius?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nissan doesn't offer the choice so since there's a profit to be made if there was a module to seel XM radios I don't think it's a simple thing. You'd think that the manufacturers whould benefit from selling both types of units too and make a universal type connection that would accomidate the audio, control, and display requirements.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Beeker

I'm not positive but I remember hearing about a conversion kit that will switch sirius to xm or xm to sirius. It's not made by Nissan. Try searching on the net. You might find something.

I just did a quick search and I couldn't find anything. Maybe you'll have better luck.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:57 AM
RockerNJ

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Nissan doesn't offer the choice so since there's a profit to be made if there was a module to seel XM radios I don't think it's a simple thing. You'd think that the manufacturers whould benefit from selling both types of units too and make a universal type connection that would accomidate the audio, control, and display requirements.
Both are offered. Pretty sure the factory codes for them are SRS and SRX (sat radio sirius and sat radio xm).

So my question really was, are they 2 different head units completely, or just something added to an available jack on the back of the factory bose head unit.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 AM
wazZ

The "unit" is in the trunk. If you remove the rear panel you will see it below truck floor level on the passenger side. The unit and antenna must be replaced. Nissan is supposed to provide the choice of XM this year so the unit could be swapped.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 AM
RockerNJ

Originally Posted by w***
The "unit" is in the trunk. If you remove the rear panel you will see it below truck floor level on the passenger side. The unit and antenna must be replaced. Nissan is supposed to provide the choice of XM this year so the unit could be swapped.
Thanks for the info on where to find the module!

There's not a whole lot of Z's to choose from on the East Coast. I would have been fine with a Touring with no options, but this was one of only 2 that were close to what I wanted.

So I figured, maybe someone out there ran into a similar situation, and got XM when they really would have preferred Sirius.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:35 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Just listen to Howard a couple of times and you will be hooked...guaranteed! I know I am...

Also, try to catch the Riley Martin on Howard101 if you can. Tuesday nights at 7 I believe. Hilarious!