Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Morel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:32 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Morel?

Anybody heard the full line of Morel? I'm looking into upgrading and was just looking for opinions.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on which set of Morel drivers you're looking at... Me personally, I'm still in love with Scanspeak drivers and don't think I would ever use anything else...
Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 PM
DmanG281

Where can I find info on those?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:50 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

morel, along wtih dls and avi, are among my favorite car audio speakers, laid back, smooth and warm is how i describe their sound.

anyhting from the integra line and up are great great a bit expsnive sure, but you get waht you pay for sure throw a set of morels in kicks....ummm yummy

revelators are graet speakres as well of course...for scanspeak stuff, try:

www.madisound.com
www.solen.ca
Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM
DmanG281

Hows the price comparatively between the Morel, DLS, and AVI. I currently have all Integra Ovations with an Elate 10" as my sub. The sub is extremely underpowered but still sounds ok. I'm using Alto Mobile 304 and 250 amplifiers. Weight was the major issue in designing this system as I'm trying to still be competative at autocrossing. I heard the Integra Ovations in a show car that were being used as the main driver but they were in kicks so they sounded much better than in the stock location. I've also spoken with the technical director at Morel America and he said he actually prefers the Integras over the Hybrids but he said again that his were in kicks. The Z the way I use it is just not conducive of the setup and I'm leaning towards a componet set of either Elate or Hybrid Ovtions. But its always nice to hear other opinions.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

If you're going to build kicks and use DLS, use the Iridium 6.5 in the kick and the Iridium tweet in the pillar - it's the best combo. The DLS tweeter works much better in the pillar especially if you decide to go three way mount the dome mid range in the kick...

Biggest issue when running a 3-way in the z/g is the path lengths to the mid in the door... You can use time alignment to fix that problem, but then you'll have a car that only sounds great from one seat...

Now, Scanspeaks - these are just awesome drivers - Ring Radiator tweeter and Revelator mid bass driver in the kicks work REALLY well... The positioning of the mid isn't critical, but you'll need to play with the tweeter angle for optimal imaging...

What processor are you using?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
dubbzdiggler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's a kind of mushroom
Old 08-22-2006, 04:28 PM
DmanG281

Originally Posted by Philthy
If you're going to build kicks and use DLS, use the Iridium 6.5 in the kick and the Iridium tweet in the pillar - it's the best combo. The DLS tweeter works much better in the pillar especially if you decide to go three way mount the dome mid range in the kick...

Biggest issue when running a 3-way in the z/g is the path lengths to the mid in the door... You can use time alignment to fix that problem, but then you'll have a car that only sounds great from one seat...

Now, Scanspeaks - these are just awesome drivers - Ring Radiator tweeter and Revelator mid bass driver in the kicks work REALLY well... The positioning of the mid isn't critical, but you'll need to play with the tweeter angle for optimal imaging...

What processor are you using?

Well as much as I'd love to build some kick panels I am just not able to. The need for all available foot space plus the fact that they aren't legal in stock class prohibits me from using them. I thought considering the Integra's are point source speakers that I could get away with them in the doors but the way the door panels are built the speaker itself is just to far and low for it to present a decent enough sound stage. As it is the sound stage is wide enough just to low for me. Right now if my ears were somewhere around my chest area I'd be fine. Sometime I find myself slumping down and leaning a bit to hear the good music. I have considered replacing the plastic perforated piece with something made out of grill cloth and also putting an angle on the mdf rings I have the speakers in now. This would probably help. But I just havn't gotten around to it. I think that may be the solution for the time being though.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:37 PM
DmanG281

Oh and honestly the only thing in the way of a processor right now is the crossover on the amps and the Kenwood DDX7015. If I were to chose I would most assuredlly go with an Alto Dynamite Processor. These amps sound crazy good. They just havn't figured out how to get them more powerful yet.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Well, there's no secret to great sound in a car - speaker placement is key... There's a lot of space behind the stock kick panel and if the install is execute properly you will not take up much more space than stock...

What's the 'stock' class?

So, I would reconsider the above choices and focus more on a mid bass driver that has very good off axis response and still get that tweeter in the pillar. After that, I would look into a processor that will give you more control over the system...
Old 08-23-2006, 04:35 AM
DmanG281

Originally Posted by Philthy
What's the 'stock' class?

B Stock in autocross. www.scca.com
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

pricing wise, since i have ran all three brands its sorta like this:

DLS is probably the cheapest out of the three at each performance level

morel and AVI are not too far apart from each other, though the AVI BSM tri-star kit i had for about a year was prolly more expensive than any morel system at the time...

sound wise, honestly, i would happily take any one of htem in my car, reason why i run DLS is because i am a dealer...

maybe ag ood way to do your car would be to get nazar's door pods, and then do a 3 way set, where the midrange and tweet is flushed into the kicks and wont take up any room at all...infact, i am doing a ZR right now with this set up with the iridium 6.3, sans the pods...
Old 08-23-2006, 09:06 AM
DmanG281

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
maybe ag ood way to do your car would be to get nazar's door pods, and then do a 3 way set, where the midrange and tweet is flushed into the kicks and wont take up any room at all...infact, i am doing a ZR right now with this set up with the iridium 6.3, sans the pods...

How are you getting the stage high enough with the tweeters and mids in the kicks flush mounted? Seems counter intuitive. Also are you fabricating another kickpanel or using the existing panel?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
DmanG281

some pics just for s and g's

Last edited by DmanG281; 08-23-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:14 PM
DmanG281

oh and the speakers are in the stock places so no big deal there.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:30 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

speaker location doenst always correspond to staging and imaging...

the design of the speaker, the angle of the kicks, and the vehicle interior all have to do with the stage height and imagng...

in the G and Zs, even with offaxis kicks way down by the foot, i have been getting great, eye level staging and a pretty solid center image with DLS ultimate line of speakers.

No one of course, will believe me, until they acutally sit in one of these cars i have done and take a listen

IASCA and USAC competitors, some go with A pillar mounting, mainly to resolve rainbow effect, that the stage drops at either end of hte dash, but honestly, this really requires a critical listeners ear to notice, and on daily drivers for most of my customers, kicks in the Z and Gs have worked out great
Old 08-23-2006, 05:40 PM
DmanG281

Oh I totally understand what you are getting at with the kick panel placement, but I also know that a soundwave travels in pulses outward not backward. In my case the way that the speaker is attached to the door(mdf ring fastened to it) it is angled slightly away and towards the footwell. If i were to draw a diagram of the sound waves my primary listening area has been reflected at least once off something in the car before it reaches my ear. For a woofer this is fine but when I get into the higher range I am getting slight echoes. This can be heard most dramatically with a cymbol. This also lowers the sound stage quit a bit but is constructive at creating a seperate image for each side of the car. That is where my idea for putting a bias cut on the ring to angle them a bit higher towards my head would come into factor. At that point I would just need to attenuate the speakers accordingly to present a higher more broad image.