Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Inexpensive seperates and rear coax speakers and 10" sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 06:26 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Inexpensive seperates and rear coax speakers and 10" sub

Guys, I want to install my old HU and amp in my new Z.

The HU is a Alpine 7876 and AMP is a Blaupunkt BMA5350B (4X50 and 1X150 for sub, with built in crossovers).

I am looking for some seperates, coax's and sub to put in the car (the BOSE SUX!!). I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, like some on this site and I will install the sub in the factory Bose sub location (perhaps a free-air unit would work best, UNLESS it is already sealed or has a port (does anyone know, or does anyone have the approx volume of that area???))

I am a home audio fan (run a Rotel Pre-amp to Marsh sound designs A-400s amp to B&W N804 speakers), but I don't want near that level of performance in my car (and I don't want to add the wt, $$ or complexity to the car).

I know that there are some decent speakers out there for $70-150 for coax's and just over $150 for seperates, but does anyone know what they are??? also what would be a good sud to look at??

THANX for your help!!
Old 03-03-2003, 05:51 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a ~$2000 amp and ~$3000 speakers at home and you want to allocate $70-150 for speakers in the car.

Anyway, you might want to call Nazar at 603-382-1801 and get his advice as he has received a lot of good "press" lately (there were about 3-4 posts this weekend of people that bought stuff from him and all commented on his prices and knowledge). I have also bought stuff from him and agree.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:13 AM
rodH

Originally posted by Anyone2u
You have a ~$2000 amp and ~$3000 speakers at home and you want to allocate $70-150 for speakers in the car.

Anyway, you might want to call Nazar at 603-382-1801 and get his advice as he has received a lot of good "press" lately (there were about 3-4 posts this weekend of people that bought stuff from him and all commented on his prices and knowledge). I have also bought stuff from him and agree.
ACtually the amp is $2300 and the speakers are $3500, but thet isn't the point

I used to have very very nice stereo systems in my cars, I am just getting tired of all the complexity and costs, etc......I was actually going to keep the Bose, since some of thier car units actually sound OK, But this sounds like crap and I have the HU and AMP already, so I am in a no loss situation, maybe I don't do the fill/rear speakers and get better fronts???

Nazar, if you read this shoot me your opinion.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:08 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are my suggestions...

1. Keep your Head unit and amp

2. Get a decent front stage. I happen to have an unopened set of MB Quart RCS216 seperates that I am selling for a good price, $140 (6.5" midrange, 3/4" tweeter, and crossover). I bought these then changed my mind and went with an all JL AUdio setup instead. They have never been out of the box, but the main reason I chose them was becasue they are an exact fit to the stock sizes. The only thing tou will need to install them is a set of 1" speaker trim rings, to account for the deeper mounting depth over the stock Bose.

3. Leave (yes, leave) the stock Bose rear speakers. I say this because if your front stage is good, the only purpose these serve is for rear fill. There's no need to spend a load of cash on speakers that are almost inaudible. I upgraded my rears, but the gains on my rear amp are so low, the speakers really cannot even be heard. My front stage is nice and strong though.

4. For an increase in sub response, try the factory sub location, and use a freeair 10" sub, or the JL IB4 (infinite baffle). These subs are a marked improvement over the puny stock Bose sub, and should be easy to install in the stock location.

This is a good start, and shoud allow you to improve your overall sound with a minimal amount of cash invested...

PM me if you have any otehr questions...
Old 03-03-2003, 11:26 AM
rodH

one, thanx for the response, I will have to get out this week to hear the MBs.

good idea about the IB sub, that could work too.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:12 PM
rodH

any other ideas????

anyone??