Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Favorite Setup so far.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:37 AM
jdohman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite Setup so far.

As my installation comes closer and closer to coming complete "fiberglass box and amprack" I have been spending more time w/ speaker placement in my Z. I have been using a 3 way active setup using factory door location for midbass and kicks for my 5.25 and tweet. I have enjoyed the setup since I have put it in.

There has been alot of places I have tried the tweet. The kick, factory location. A pillars twards window, A pillars in custom pods. None of which I have really liked. I have always felt it did not blend well with the midrange and just provided way to high of a image and made it to hard to really get a center image. Always seems to be right in front of me or slighty to the left of the center no matter how much time correction I have used or phase adjuments.

So the other day I tried something new w/ my h701. I wired in my crossovers from my sr5250 for the midrange and tweeter and biamped the set so I would still have gain control over both from the amplifier. Then I setup my 6.5 in the door active for my midbass up to 220 hz. Almost the same way I have always done it but not fully active any more. I then did one more thing. I had a extra set of ring radiator tweets laying around so I threw them in the factory location and tried to aim them straight across. I set them up ambient and about 4k up "still playing on frequency." I went threw each driver and got a center image before playing.

All I can say is wow. Before my image was rather low but alot more acceptable then having the tweeter in the factory location. Almost like the voice and sound was right above the center pocket. I always liked the way it sounded but after hearing this I have my jaw dropped. The sound is about 4 inches higher which I really enjoy and it still blends so nice with the midrange because I have the main tweets still in the kicks. The little details in the music are so much more noticable now and just the overall sound it so much better. I am really enjoying this setup alot more. The only thing I think I am going to change is going to a pod in the A pillar for the tweets so they are not behind that facotry grill.

Anyone that is looking to do a highend system I really recommend doing the dual tweets with the top ambient. If you havent tried it or heard it then try it out. It makes a world of difference.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:44 PM
JimRHIT

I could imagine that your setup would sound quite nice ... I would however disagree that a 4k XO on those makes them ambient ... try 5.5-6k and you'll probably regain some coherency back into your soundstage. I am sure its nice and high and broad right now, envoloping if thats a word .. but I doubt there is much pinpoint definition of high frequencies. You stage won't fall through the floor like this, but it may seem thinner.

Try doing some extended listening once you get over the shock of the thin-ness of it and let me know how it sounds.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:52 PM
jdohman

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
I could imagine that your setup would sound quite nice ... I would however disagree that a 4k XO on those makes them ambient ... try 5.5-6k and you'll probably regain some coherency back into your soundstage. I am sure its nice and high and broad right now, envoloping if thats a word .. but I doubt there is much pinpoint definition of high frequencies. You stage won't fall through the floor like this, but it may seem thinner.

Try doing some extended listening once you get over the shock of the thin-ness of it and let me know how it sounds.

Like I said im still playing with the frequency range of the top tweet. Havent tested much today because after yesterday everythign sounds the same haha.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:15 PM
KelekonaKustoms

thats pretty much what i did, except my main tweeter is axis mounted with the woofer in pods on my door and my other set is in the stock location set up for imaging. and just like you said, you can hear all the little details. its pretty clear but i still think i can make it better.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:41 PM
dtak59

I installed my speakers in the stock locations, biamped but not active. I was impressed with the soundstage and imaging using the stock speaker locations and a little time alignment adjustment. It sounds like the music is coming from the dashboard and the vocals from the oil pressure gauge. I eventually want to go active and buy the door pods, but I think i'm going to wait off a while because 1) It sound pretty good to me as it is, and 2) because I spent so much time tuning the system.
People have been saying how installing tweeters in the kickpanel gives off a high soundstage. Although I haven't heard it myself, I find it hard to believe. Did your stereo sound that much better with the tweeters in the kicks than it did with the tweeters in the A-pillars?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:07 AM
jdohman

[QUOTE=dtak59]I installed my speakers in the stock locations, biamped but not active. I was impressed with the soundstage and imaging using the stock speaker locations and a little time alignment adjustment. It sounds like the music is coming from the dashboard and the vocals from the oil pressure gauge. I eventually want to go active and buy the door pods, but I think i'm going to wait off a while because 1) It sound pretty good to me as it is, and 2) because I spent so much time tuning the system.
People have been saying how installing tweeters in the kickpanel gives off a high soundstage. Although I haven't heard it myself, I find it hard to believe. Did your stereo sound that much better with the tweeters in the kicks than it did with the tweeters in the A-pillars?[/QUOT]

In stock locations sound pulls away from the dash board a little bit and tends to be rather harsh from 3.2 to 5k or so. Something in our car spikes those frequency in stock location. At least in the 100 or so Z's I have done lol
Old 11-10-2006, 10:30 AM
dtak59

yup...i found there was a HUGE spike between 2k and 5k. there also is a pretty good sized dip from 10k upwards (might be caused by the direction of the tweeter is pointing) good thing theres a 10-band parametric eq built into my head unit. Again, it may be because of the stock location of the woofers, but i found that there is another spike at around 250 hz to 600 hz?
Again, I am not a IASCA SQ competitor, but I think the staging and imaging are pretty good with the stock locations. but thats just me.