Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

diamond audio components

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 02:17 PM
mf01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diamond audio components

Well I went today to listen to diamond audio components and kind of came out confused. I listened to the M661 and S600a. The M661's sounded a lot better than the S600a's. I have no clue why. I listened on the same deck, song, and amplifier, but they still sounded better. Originally I wanted the S600s's, but they didn't have any to listen to. So right now I would buy the M661's over the S600a's, but I want to hear the S600s's. Has anyone else compared all three of these. I can't see the silk tweeter making a big sound difference over the aluminum tweeter, at least not as much as the 661's to the S600a's.
Opinions?
Old 03-22-2003, 07:17 PM
MSGarrett1

Good questions. You say that you listened to both sets of speakers using the same headunit and amp . . . external amp or headunit amp? How much power (RMS)? Was a subwoofer running as well? If so where was it crossed over at? What frequencies were being played by the sub and which by the components?

Let's assume you listened to both sets of speakers powered by an external amp . . . which amp? And how much power per channel? I suspect that the external amp used to power the speakers was better matched (less power) to the Motorsport series. These components are more efficient speakers, which means that if one is running less power, you may hear more bass etc. and think they sound better than the HEX series. Relisten to the HEX series components with a quality amp running around 100 watts RMS per channel (JL amp, Phoenix Gold amp, Zapco, many others). See what you think. Also, IMHO the silk tweeters do, in fact, make a huge difference in the sound from the S600s's vs. the S600a's (with the aluminum alloy tweeter). Tweeters in general make a huge difference in sound. The Dynaudio tweeters, properly powered with their midbass speakers, are AWESOME! (also quite expensive) The Focal Polykevlar and Utopia tweeters are also very nice, IMO! MBQuart . . . well listen for yourself, and see what you think.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:14 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MSGarrett1
Good questions. You say that you listened to both sets of speakers using the same headunit and amp . . . external amp or headunit amp? How much power (RMS)? Was a subwoofer running as well? If so where was it crossed over at? What frequencies were being played by the sub and which by the components?

Let's assume you listened to both sets of speakers powered by an external amp . . . which amp? And how much power per channel? I suspect that the external amp used to power the speakers was better matched (less power) to the Motorsport series. These components are more efficient speakers, which means that if one is running less power, you may hear more bass etc. and think they sound better than the HEX series. Relisten to the HEX series components with a quality amp running around 100 watts RMS per channel (JL amp, Phoenix Gold amp, Zapco, many others). See what you think. Also, IMHO the silk tweeters do, in fact, make a huge difference in the sound from the S600s's vs. the S600a's (with the aluminum alloy tweeter). Tweeters in general make a huge difference in sound. The Dynaudio tweeters, properly powered with their midbass speakers, are AWESOME! (also quite expensive) The Focal Polykevlar and Utopia tweeters are also very nice, IMO! MBQuart . . . well listen for yourself, and see what you think.
I am assuming that you are in the SOFT DOME camp?

this is something HIGHLY personal taste.

I have B&W N804s at home, uses a metal tweeter, BUT if you are a silk dome fan, the Focals and Dynaudio make AMOUNG the BEST silk dome speakers in the world!! Great stuff. I just prefer metal tweeters like B&Ws, Revels, and others (personal taste).

this is why it is Soooooooo important to audition BEFORE you buy, you may find a speaker system that SOUNDS better to you at 1/2 the price of another system and IT ACTUALLY sounds better to you, which is what matters
Old 03-23-2003, 05:48 AM
mf01

Well it was an autotek amp (never heard of it), playing full range. I told them that I wanted something with good clean power about 150w rms per channel. That's what he turned on. There should have been enough power most components out there. Unless I hear the S600s's, I'll probably buy the M661's. I have good power for either set. I am running an older fosgate 200.2 amp. It puts out 100w rms per channel, which is underated. I would compare it to a newer fosgate amp putting out 200w rms per channel. I will also be powering a M610D2 (diamond audio) with another older fosgate 225.2, which is rated at 450w rms bridged (also underated).
Old 03-23-2003, 05:58 AM
MSGarrett1

Originally posted by mf01
I told them that I wanted something with good clean power about 150w rms per channel. That's what he turned on . . .
In that case . . . then buy the Motorsport series. This is why you auditioned the speakers before your purchase in the first place. And rodH is correct . . . one of the largest differences that separate audiophiles is their preference for soft dome vs. metal tweeters. It is all a matter of personal listening taste. You should choose whatever sounds best to you.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:37 PM
KJ-350

I can't see the silk tweeter making a big sound difference over the aluminum tweeter, at least not as much as the 661's to the S600a's.

All of my highs/mids are Diamond!! I was totally impressed by them when I did my shopping and decided for the money and quality they are I couldn't pass them up. I STRONGLY suggest that you listen the silk domes before making up your mind! I'm no audiophile by any degree but the "s" and "a" kits are day and night when played side b side! I bought the S600s after comparing them to the other lines. To me they had a much better "true to life" sound, alot more realistic when it came to vocals! The S600a is a nice kit but the tweets to me are to bright! They had a very in you face sound, to metal'ish.

I listened to all 3 lines of theirs and must of spent a good 45 mins just standing at the board switching between all of them (was really surprised how cool the guy was to let me be on own my). I will be running them with a PPI PCX-2125, each will end up with approx 135 watts. Take a listen to them before you decide!! $0.02
Old 03-23-2003, 06:59 PM
mf01

Originally posted by KJ-350
All of my highs/mids are Diamond!! I was totally impressed by them when I did my shopping and decided for the money and quality they are I couldn't pass them up. I STRONGLY suggest that you listen the silk domes before making up your mind! I'm no audiophile by any degree but the "s" and "a" kits are day and night when played side b side! I bought the S600s after comparing them to the other lines. To me they had a much better "true to life" sound, alot more realistic when it came to vocals! The S600a is a nice kit but the tweets to me are to bright! They had a very in you face sound, to metal'ish.

I listened to all 3 lines of theirs and must of spent a good 45 mins just standing at the board switching between all of them (was really surprised how cool the guy was to let me be on own my). I will be running them with a PPI PCX-2125, each will end up with approx 135 watts. Take a listen to them before you decide!! $0.02
If they ever put a set of S600s's in the board, then I will go down and listen to them. I would like to buy a good component set soon, but I guess I'll wait till I am sure on what I want.