Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

need help. digital gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
compton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help. digital gauges not working

OK, So i bought my Z some time ago. anyways I bought it used and it had no rear view mirror, i figured i would replace it soon, but month after month rolls by and i haven't done it. So today is the day. I've got my mirror and i am removing the fixture, where the OEM mirror was set. I got most of the fixture off but, there is a wire loom with three little wires in it that has a inlet plug on the end and is holding a piece of the fixture to the interior of the headliner. so I snip the wire, thinking that it plugged into an auto dimmer mirror, and that it served no purpose, since i am installing a regular mirror. anyways, I got the mirror in, and tucked the snipped wires away in the head liner. I turn the car on and my digital gauge above the dash and also the odometer aren't turning on.
has anyone had this problem before? thanks

-Compton
Old 02-09-2007, 10:48 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

One of those wires you snipped is live all the time - probably the red one which went to the HomeLink on the original mirror. Probably shorted and blew the fuse.
Might want to be a little bit more careful when snipping wires with the battery still connected. Not flaming, just trying to help.
Edit - if that is what it was, or even if not, tape off the ends of those wires.

Last edited by PerfZ; 02-09-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:53 AM
imjdoggie

I'm in shock, I can't beleive you would just cut wires not knowing what they were. I would try to search for some wiring diagrams to find out exactly what the wires going into the mirror were. I'm sure you can find that somewhere on here. Sorry to hear about your problems but let this be a learning lesson.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
compton

i appreciate the help guys, I'm checking the fuses now.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:27 AM
compton

Thumbs up

alright i found the problem, it was one of those tiny fuses. thanks guys.
BTW - I wasnt being reckless and just snipping wires, that mirror wire has been dangling for months. I knew that it plugged into the oem auto dim mirror. it was just a matter of time until i snipped it. still, i should have been more careful and disconnected the battery. Again I really appreciate the help.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:40 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem is that is also went to the HomeLink feature for garage door openers etc that is an option on the Z, and that wire is hot all the time so it will work with the key off. The orange wire is switched - I tapped into that and the ground to power my Valentine and not have to route wires. Glad it was a cheap quick fix! BTW - curious as to how you drove for some time without a rearview mirror? Granted the view sucks but I would be lost without it! And remember to tape those wires off, each one separately just to be sure

Last edited by PerfZ; 02-09-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
compton

Originally Posted by PerfZ
The problem is that is also went to the HomeLink feature for garage door openers etc that is an option on the Z, and that wire is hot all the time so it will work with the key off. The orange wire is switched - I tapped into that and the ground to power my Valentine and not have to route wires. Glad it was a cheap quick fix! BTW - curious as to how you drove for some time without a rearview mirror? Granted the view sucks but I would be lost without it! And remember to tape those wires off, each one separately just to be sure
yeah, I taped them off. I actually reconnected the inlet plug and tucked it all in the headliner. As far as driving with out the rearview, you just kinda learn to use the side mirrors more.