Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Questions for those who have had Compustar Alarms installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 07:37 PM
aphesian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for those who have had Compustar Alarms installed

I'm currently in the middle of an install on my Compustar 2WSS, and need a little more information from any experienced installers out there.

- For auto start to work on a MT do you have to have an extra key in the transponder?

- Where is the receiving antenna typically mounted? Mine is at the top of the windshield now, but I really don't like the look of it from the outside.

- Is there any need for an extra window module if you want to control the window up/down function from the remote or is it possible to tap into the existing factory alarms abiltity to do this?

I have to bring the Z back to the installer on Thursday to finish the install up and this is the first 350 they've installed it on (lucky me). Just want this done right. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

By the way. Thanks Nazar for the help. I think these guys gave you a call for a little assistance at one point.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:57 PM
WebToker

Default Re: Questions for those who have had Compustar Alarms installed

- For auto start to work on a MT do you have to have an extra key in the transponder?

Yes

- Is there any need for an extra window module if you want to control the window up/down function from the remote or is it possible to tap into the existing factory alarms abiltity to do this?

You need an extra module
Old 04-12-2003, 11:25 PM
VaGentleman

After mine was installed, the alarm was being triggered 30 minutes after I armed it. Seems that the car's ECU goes into sleep mode at that time and the signal it produced was triggering the alarm.

My installer put a diode somewhere to prevent the ECU's signal from tripping the alarm. I don't remember where it put it, but I hope this of some help.

VG
Old 04-14-2003, 11:21 AM
aphesian

Does the key have to be the standard key or can you use the valet key? Kinda irritating to lose your extra key that way.

Really liking the alarm so far even though its only "half" installed. Door lock/unlock, trunk release, and auto start are not functioning. Hope to get all this straitened out this week.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:17 AM
bunsell

Default alarms

I know the agony your installer is going thru. Took 2 days for mine to be installed, 5 wires on install instructions were wrong color so tech had to search. But after total install all worked well, also valet key worked with this system (autopage)
Old 04-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to get the gas tank lid setup too!
BTW, my install took from ~10 AM until 8 PM!
Old 04-15-2003, 12:33 PM
aphesian

Ahhh. Thanks for the reminder. Forgot about the fuel door. Does this require an extra module as well? That would be convenient as I’m always forgetting to release the door before getting out of the car to pump gas.

Perhaps I initially phrased the question about the windshield antenna poorly. Right now I have a three inch black box with an antenna sticking out of it mounted in the upper left hand corner of my windshield. It is very visible from both inside and outside. Not a particularly stealthy install. Was wonder if your installers found a way around that and if so where they mounted the antenna?

As for install time, I dropped my car off last Friday and didn’t get it back till about 9 Saturday and its still not finished. Closest dealer experienced with Compustar alarms. Wish I had more options.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally posted by aphesian
Ahhh. Thanks for the reminder. Forgot about the fuel door. Does this require an extra module as well? That would be convenient as I’m always forgetting to release the door before getting out of the car to pump gas.

Perhaps I initially phrased the question about the windshield antenna poorly. Right now I have a three inch black box with an antenna sticking out of it mounted in the upper left hand corner of my windshield. It is very visible from both inside and outside. Not a particularly stealthy install. Was wonder if your installers found a way around that and if so where they mounted the antenna?
1) My antenna is stuck at the top of the windshield on top of the black dots. Barely noticeable. Then again, I also have my remote radar/laser detector stuck on the back of the mirror and the GPS antenna stuck on the dash at the bottom of the windshiled so maybe I'm just not real observant!

2) My remote unlocks/locks the doors, opens the trunk, opens the fuel door and rolls the windows up and down and I only needed one additional module.

Fortunately I live in New England so I had Nazar's shop in NH (603-382-1801) do the work. Nazar and his installers (Justin did mine and he is a genius) know this system inside and out and I highly recommend anyone in the New England area to consider the drive to their shop in NH. Justin didn't even slow down when he discovered they had labeled the wires wrong!
Old 04-28-2003, 03:33 PM
aphesian

Just got home from a grueling day at the alarm installers. Yet again it took all damn day to "finish" the install. That makes 3 days total that my car has been tied up for an alarm install. I'd say that is a bit excessive. To top it all off I get a nice $450 bill for the install. Seems their hourly rate is $65, and I was charged for the key transponder for the auto start.

Thats just insane. Did you guys pay a similar amount or did I basically get screwed here. I'm not even positive everything works correctly. For example:

When you put your car in reservation mode and shut the door the engine shuts off and the car arms itself. The icon for the locked door lights up, but my door do not lock automatically. Is this the way its supposed to work?

Sorry for the bitching. I literally just got home from the all day install and am not in the best of moods. Oh yea, its still not really finished either. For the windows up/down function I apparently need a channel expander. Was that needed on your install? Wonder how much more I'll have to sink into an already overly expensive alarm. Right now I'm wishing I had just stayed with the factory alarm. Bastards!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:59 AM
customexotica1

Default Aalarm questions

I just thought I would chime in with my thoughts.

The window antenna can be mounted in the headliner just above the window, no apreciable loss in range should be notice by moving it there. You will require an "extra" key to be used for the starter function to work. The antenna for the key is located around the end of the key cylinder. Sometimes it is necessary to remove the antenna from the key cylinder and move it elsewhere. The issue there is when the car is remotly started it "sees" the Valet key, when you return to the vehicle and insert your key the security system will see the other key aswell at disable the car thinking someone is using a code generator to try and bypass it. This system is not incorperated on all transponder setups but you might want to keep it in mind. The windows, given they come with an auto up/down, can be activated by the alarm with just a few relays. Any well qualified installer should be able to figure out the wiring for that. You need to place a diode on the door trigger lead to keep the ECM from triggering the alarm when it "sleeps."
Old 12-01-2003, 11:45 AM
chuck

The alarm installer in my area wasn't sure how best to pass the wires from the body to the door. He said that most cars have grommets that wires pass through but in the Z there is a tube. He was afraid that if he used a "coat hanger" to pass the wire through, he might damage the other wires.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of how best to do this?

thanks
Old 12-01-2003, 12:07 PM
customexotica1

I would suggest to your installer NOT to use use a coathanger to run his wires through the tube. A lubricant would work just fine, there is plenty of room inside that tube. The car side of the tube has a molex plug on it that may need a little honing out. this can easily be done with a drill bit. There is a secondary grommet on the car side of the tube which can also be used.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:04 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't know why people keep saying yes to needing a spare key for remote start. That defeat the purpose of the security system. What the installer did was right. he used a bypass module to act as the key. When the remote button is pressed, the bypass module sends a signal to the BCM (body control module) to mimic the key.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:46 AM
chuck

Does the installer have to go into the door panel to wire the lock/unlock door feature? If not, can someone tell me specifically how it is done. Are there specific wires he can tap into from under the dash?

The installer that I'm taking my car to believes he has to get into the door panel since the schematic says that the door lock/unlock switch is inside the door panel.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:50 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by chuck
Does the installer have to go into the door panel to wire the lock/unlock door feature? If not, can someone tell me specifically how it is done. Are there specific wires he can tap into from under the dash?

The installer that I'm taking my car to believes he has to get into the door panel since the schematic says that the door lock/unlock switch is inside the door panel.
there should be leads to the Body Control Module (BCM) thats above the fuse box.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally posted by chuck

When I had my alarm installed they did have to get into the door. What they specifically did I don't know. One of the members of this board, Nazar, is an expert on the Compustar alarm and is pretty nice about answering questions if you mention you are on this board. You can call him at (603) 382 -1801(NH) or PM him by clicking on his name (above).

Last edited by Anyone2u; 12-02-2003 at 05:15 PM.