Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

bluetooth w/ aftermarket HU (new info plz read)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
sibble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bluetooth w/ aftermarket HU (new info plz read)

I refuse to believe I can't connect factory bluetooth to another headunit. I did some research, I looked at wiring diagrams, and I got a pretty good idea how everything is connected. I do have a few questions maybe an electrician can help with.

This first picture shows that the bluetooth adapter unit is connected to the head unit with 3 connections. One connection is clearly a remote signal, another is clearly a voice signal (audio +/-?), and a third I'm unsure of "TEL ON signal". I think this TEL ON signal is what changes the mode of the bose HU to "PHONE".

This next picture excited me... Could it be that easy to just simply connect the AUDIO outs from the tel adapter unit to an aftermarket HU's alternative input? Well I'm sure it isn't. But this is what started my questioning.

Electric question: What the hell is up with the stuff I circled in blue? "SHIELD" is what it says it is, but what the hell does it do and why does it run with the wires and connect to the HU?

This last picture is the one that disapointed me. I have no idea what any of this junk means. I'm guessing that "Remote Control Earth" is a ground? and the "Ladder Out"s are the audio outs? I have no freaking clue what the hell these are.

If there is someone out there that could give me a good idea of what some of these connections are and what they do I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

Last edited by sibble; 06-05-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Takhteh

good luck.. and i'm not saying it can't be done.. but if you can connect the factory BT to an aftermarket HU what would stop you from say, being able to connect a Kenwood BT module to an Alpine HU, get my drift? My understanding is that the BT modules are brand-specific and must be connected to, of course, a brand-specific and BT-capable HU.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 AM
sibble

Originally Posted by Takhteh
good luck.. and i'm not saying it can't be done.. but if you can connect the factory BT to an aftermarket HU what would stop you from say, being able to connect a Kenwood BT module to an Alpine HU, get my drift? My understanding is that the BT modules are brand-specific and must be connected to, of course, a brand-specific and BT-capable HU.
I absolutly agree with you, there are plenty of limitations. However, such things like a kenwood or alpine BT adapters have certain features that require specific connections to their respective HU's. Features such as phonebook sharing, caller ID, etc.

In this case though, to me it looks like the only connections from the BT adapter and the HU are audio wires, remote signal line, and a "TEL ON/MODE" type connection. The first two connections are simply universal however the third is just a simple problem. I believe the third TEL connection is basically just switches the mode on the head unit to "PHONE" mode when your phone rings or when you make a call. If that is indeed what that is, it can be skipped. If I hear my phone ring I wouldnt mind hitting an "Input Select" button on an aftermarket headunit to switch the audio over to my phone.

But, I could be completely wrong.

Last edited by sibble; 06-05-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:17 PM
VitViper

My alpine HU has a "audio interrupt in" connection that's supposed to go to the car telephone. I'm curious if I can take the audio output from the phone adapter and feed it into the audio interrupt in connection... hm...
Old 06-06-2007, 04:36 AM
sibble

Originally Posted by VitViper
My alpine HU has a "audio interrupt in" connection that's supposed to go to the car telephone. I'm curious if I can take the audio output from the phone adapter and feed it into the audio interrupt in connection... hm...
Nice! I'm pretty curious too I'd love for some more feedback if there's anyone out there that has tried this please chime in!

What model alpine do you have?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:40 AM
sibble

After thinking about it, I don't think an interrupt will work for this specific telephone adapter. I'm 50/50 about it. I have a feeling that the adapter will be on the entire time and interrupting the entire time. Worth a shot though.

Only reason being is because I don't know what those "Ladder" connections are. Other then those, the remote signal and audio lines should be universal.

Last edited by sibble; 06-06-2007 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
VitViper

I have a 9857. I'm curious to explore the interrupt in idea... not gonna break my heart if it doesn't work. I've pretty much decided to give up on the handsfree bluetooth setup anyway.